Premed 101 Forums

mcmaster nursing

rant

Long story short:

I've been accepted to Mac nursing, and I got blasted by Admissions when offhandedly remarking that my end-goal was medicine.

Quote:

"The medicine admissions staff are not going to look kindly upon you at all if you tell them that you're only planning on using nursing as a stepping-stone to medicine."

But, really, hasn't every single doctor out there used his or her undergrad as a stepping stone to medicine?

Is this just nursing paranoia raising its unecessary head, or does this sound like a feasible concern?

I have read numerous postings on here about the trepidation felt by some in regards to nurse-to-MD-hopefuls "taking away" spots from people who truly want to be nurses. I respect that stance, however, I cannot adhere myself to it. I discovered my affinity for medicine after I did my college nursing, and its truly the only thing on my spectrum at this time.

Would this route to med somehow lessen me in the eyes of a medicine admissions panel?

I doubt it would hurt you unless you stated in interview you did nursing only to get into med (in which case it would seem like stealing spots from people really wanting nursing as much as we want med).

However, it seems logical that one would do nursing while applying to med as a backup plan in case med doesn't work out. I have heard that having a solid backup plan is looked on favorably as good planning skills! Basically what I'm trying to say is if you explain it properly in interview or essay it could be positive to your application. Also, once nursing, you would have a true view of what doctors daily work is, another positive thing.

had this debate about pharmacy-to-be-meds. lasted about 2 hours, never got anywhere. I argued the "wasting of a potential career for someone who applied/interviewd for it", they argued the "always good to have a backup plan if med doesn't work out"

both valid points IMO

the thing about nursing as a stepping stone is that it is a 'professional' degree, while a lowly B.Sc. is just a B.Sc.

I am a nurse who just got accepted into med school. I too knew after college that I wanted my nursing degree to advance into medicine. I got slack for it all through nursing school. Many nursing instructors took personal offence when I brought it up in class. As if my wanting to be a doctor lessened the other students somehow or that I was saying that nursing isn't "good enough". It is so bizarre. As far as it being held against you when applying into medicine I only had positive feedback from the Medical admissions depts. And I got accepted to every school I applied at. I think that nursing should be looked at as a logical choice as the experience you will gain will be an asset. Good Luck and never let anyone try and bring you down.

Long story short:

I've been accepted to Mac nursing, and I got blasted by Admissions when offhandedly remarking that my end-goal was medicine.

Would this route to med somehow lessen me in the eyes of a medicine admissions panel?

You've just learned a valuable lesson in medical politics. :rolleyes:

Meds admissions committees won't care that you came from nursing (provided you have a solid story to tell about why you want meds over nursing).

Your current and future colleagues in the nursing profession, on the other hand, can be a little bit sensitive about the topic.

Wow. Thats so disappointing. I'm a RN with an MN in advanced practice. I'm applying to medicine this fall. I've received similar negative reactions from other nurses when I mention my career plans. Wanting to move on from nursing to persue a different path happens so frequently in our profession....In my opinion, if you want to do your undergrad in nursing- fantastic, and I think you'll be a better physician for it! For the argument that you're taking the seat away from someone who really wants to be a nurse, there are people who really want to be a nurse when they start nursing, but they are entitled to change their mind. I also don't think any medical school is going to look down at someone with clinical experience who wants to be a physician (here's hoping anyway :D).

Your current and future colleagues in the nursing profession, on the other hand, can be a little bit sensitive about the topic.

ANY healthcare profession, really. Not a single person in my paramedic class congratulated me on my acceptance (even though I kept track of their success in paramedicine, wished them luck on practicums, licensing exams, etc). One of my partners has recently (strangely, right around May 15th) taken to blasting physicians constantly. We watched a "staff abuse" video at an orientation just yesterday, and one of the skits involved a physician verbally abusing an RN. His comment during the discussion? "Yeah, that's exactly how all doctors are, in my experience." Now, I have done many calls with him and I have NEVER been in a situation where a physician was disrespectful to the two of us.

:rolleyes: I feel the love already!

Yikes, I hate that crap. I don't get why so many in health care are so jealous and territorial of their "unique" skillset and piss on anyone who wants to do something else. Professional insecurity maybe? I make a point of not telling people at work my plans for that reason. My grad supervisor said me going to med school would be "such a waste". Encouraging!

Congrats on your acceptance!

Yikes, I hate that crap. I don't get why so many in health care are so jealous and territorial of their "unique" skillset and piss on anyone who wants to do something else. Professional insecurity maybe? I make a point of not telling people at work my plans for that reason. My grad supervisor said me going to med school would be "such a waste". Encouraging!

Congrats on your acceptance!

hehehe, my university was the same. I had to hide the different majors from people in other majors or they treated me differently (in a negative way). People from all three thought me going into medicine was terrible - some loss to the field or whatever. Still haven't put my finger on exactly why this occurs, I believe interdisciplinary work is great!

I've thought about it for awhile, and I think there are two different types of scenarios:

1. You are studying nursing as a stepping stone to medicine with the intention of using nursing as a backup career if you can't get accepted, or as a field to work in while you keep reapplying yearly. That's OK in my books. Not everyone is going to get into medical school, so you need something to fall back on.

2. You are taking nursing only as a stepping stone to medicine without any interest or intention of ever working as a nurse. That's not cool. Especially with the huge nursing shortage that exists right now combined with limited seats.

hehehe, my university was the same. I had to hide the different majors from people in other majors or they treated me differently (in a negative way). People from all three thought me going into medicine was terrible - some loss to the field or whatever. Still haven't put my finger on exactly why this occurs, I believe interdisciplinary work is great!

I swear it has to come from convoluted feelings of insecurity.

:(

That's pretty sad, though, having to hide your majors. Keeping with the attitude that the interdisciplinary approach is beneficial will make you a great physician! :D

• 4 weeks later...
I've thought about it for awhile, and I think there are two different types of scenarios:

1. You are studying nursing as a stepping stone to medicine with the intention of using nursing as a backup career if you can't get accepted, or as a field to work in while you keep reapplying yearly. That's OK in my books. Not everyone is going to get into medical school, so you need something to fall back on.

2. You are taking nursing only as a stepping stone to medicine without any interest or intention of ever working as a nurse. That's not cool. Especially with the huge nursing shortage that exists right now combined with limited seats.

Mine's #1 :D

Archived