Premed 101 Forums

Waterloo Physics

vpv

Hello, I am an occasional poster and a frequent lurker who has decided to attend University of Waterloo starting September 2009. I will be in the Life Science, Co-op program. I had a few questions regarding physics.

Throughout high school I enjoyed physics very much, especially kinematics but I did average. Gr 11 physics, I got 78 while gr 12 physics, a 90 on dot :?. I am interested in pursuing medicine as a career but I am also considering Medical Physics as I do enjoy physics very much.

I have learned, however, that physics in high school is not at all like physics in university. I understand that obviously university courses will be harder than those in high school. Ironically, I did not like math in high school :?.

So my questions are:

1. How much of university physics is calculus? and how much to vectors? I enjoyed calculus but not so much the 3-D vectors part.

2. With a decent work ethic (2 hours of studying/ hour of lecture) will it be possible to maintain an average of above 80?

3. What have you (if you have taken university physics) found difficult about physics ?

4. What types of other jobs are available for physics undergrads?

If I have a decent 3.3+ gpa, I am completely fine to attend a D.O. school in the States.

-vpv

If you are taking the more advanced physics courses at Waterloo you would be taking Physics 121/122 which are the harder ones. Those are the ones I took there. There is still no really calculus required though, but does covered a lot more ground then high physics :) Personally I found some thermodynamics problems to be a bit tricky as it is hard to relate them to things I deal with on a day to day level.

Unfortunately a lot of your questions depend on your abilities and prior skills, but if you did well in high school likely 2 hours of studying per hour of lecture would give you an excellent shot at an above 80% (by the way, aim for 85% not 80%. The cut off of many schools is higher than the 3.7 GPA that a 80-84 gives.).

There are number of physics advisors at Waterloo who I know that can help you will many of your questions about careers etc. There is no problem meeting this people now, they would be happy to help! Check out the advisors page, or PM me and I can send you more details.

1. How much of university physics is calculus? and how much to vectors? I enjoyed calculus but not so much the 3-D vectors part.

I took 111/112. No calculus in either. Very little vector stuff.

2. With a decent work ethic (2 hours of studying/ hour of lecture) will it be possible to maintain an average of above 80?

Definitely. Also, prepare to be bell curved off the charts for 112 (if you can keep up that amount of studying)

3. What have you (if you have taken university physics) found difficult about physics ?

112 wasn't much fun (didn't finish exam), but still got belled past my 111 mark :P

Can't help with that one.

Btw, If you like medical physics, consider taking biophys (BIOL/PHYS 280) with Leonenko. If you can stand a completely unpredictable course (like the prof making tests/cancelling tests randomly), it's an easy GPA booster.

I took 111/112. No calculus in either. Very little vector stuff.

Definitely. Also, prepare to be bell curved off the charts for 112 (if you can keep up that amount of studying)

112 wasn't much fun (didn't finish exam), but still got belled past my 111 mark :P

Can't help with that one.

Btw, If you like medical physics, consider taking biophys (BIOL/PHYS 280) with Leonenko. If you can stand a completely unpredictable course (like the prof making tests/cancelling tests randomly), it's an easy GPA booster.

Thank you for all your responses.

I am actually very much interested in Medical physics but I fear that if my average isn't high enough I will not be able to make it into either medicine or physics...

I am still a high school student, off to UW for life science coop. I guess biophysics is second year course?

Also by bell curving, do you mean u were bell curved up or down?

Thank you.

-vpv

Archived