Premed 101 Forums

DO degree as a route to practice medicine in Canada?

Hi everyone,

I have been looking into this subject recently as an alternative to caribbean/australia/irish medical schools if I was not accepted here in Canada. What I want to know is what kind of GPA would make a Canadian competitive for American DO programs? There are some older posts about this here and on SDN but I was looking for more recent figures.

Any info would be great, so thanks in advance.

More risky than the caribbean? I read that CaRMS considers canadian DOs as CMGs and not IMGs so wouldn't that make the DO a better option? I read this here:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?p=333293

Maybe I am mistaken though, I don't profess to know a lot about the details of CaRMS matching...

Thanks for the input ...I'm glad I asked this because I keep hearing mixed opinions about whether or not the DO degree is a good option and it would be good to get his cleared up.

Anyone else have info/opinions about this?

I would contact CARMS directly, if I were you. I've heard something about how ON recognizes DOs, but no one else (this was a good 2 years ago, though). If you are gonna pour 4 years of your life and $250,000 into something, you better make sure it's worth it. Get it straight from the horse's mouth.

I would contact CARMS directly, if I were you. I've heard something about how ON recognizes DOs, but no one else (this was a good 2 years ago, though). If you are gonna pour 4 years of your life and $250,000 into something, you better make sure it's worth it. Get it straight from the horse's mouth.

Thats a good point, I'll do that now.

Archived