Premed 101 Forums

Appealing a mark

Hello,

I could greatly use some insight on this. I took a course a couple of years ago through distance education at my school and never really followed through with the course. That was 3 years ago and it turns out I was to 'properly' drop the course much to my dismay and the distance ed. office is saying that the course is going to show up as a fail on my transcript----yikes!

I need to appeal this course and I will I was just wondering if you insightful fellow board members could help me brainstorm a point of attack on this. I am planning to send in my appeal and docs by early next week.

I cannot feign ignorance but I can play up some of the more serious things that were going on in my life at that point.

Has anyone tried to appeal a grade before?> If so were u successful? I really dread having an F on my transcript when all of my other grades are fair.

Sorry for any double posting, I didn't see a topic on this issue in my search and thanks in advance for all of your kind assistance.

I missed up and accidentally didn't drop a course (actually dropped the wrong one) and had to appeal on those grounds. It actually worked out very well, it was just removed.

Did you carrying through with the course until the end, ie did the exam etc or just stop doing the course mid way through?

Hello,

I could greatly use some insight on this. I took a course a couple of years ago through distance education at my school and never really followed through with the course. That was 3 years ago and it turns out I was to 'properly' drop the course much to my dismay and the distance ed. office is saying that the course is going to show up as a fail on my transcript----yikes!

I need to appeal this course and I will I was just wondering if you insightful fellow board members could help me brainstorm a point of attack on this. I am planning to send in my appeal and docs by early next week.

I cannot feign ignorance but I can play up some of the more serious things that were going on in my life at that point.

Has anyone tried to appeal a grade before?> If so were u successful? I really dread having an F on my transcript when all of my other grades are fair.

Sorry for any double posting, I didn't see a topic on this issue in my search and thanks in advance for all of your kind assistance.

I actually registered for the course, received the books and didn't do anything with the course at all, under the assumption that the course wouldn't be official until I had submitted something formally etc. Turns out they just leave you to your own devices and record it as an F when the official course date has passed.

I went on to complete the actual course( this was an equivalency btw) at my UG school instead of through Athabasca.

I will give it all I've got to get it dropped. Thanks for your reply btw it makes me optimistic :).

I actually registered for the course, received the books and didn't do anything with the course at all, under the assumption that the course wouldn't be official until I had submitted something formally etc. Turns out they just leave you to your own devices and record it as an F when the official course date has passed.

I went on to complete the actual course( this was an equivalency btw) at my UG school instead of through Athabasca.

I will give it all I've got to get it dropped. Thanks for your reply btw it makes me optimistic :).

well that sounds like the same boat I was in. My approach was to be completely honest, I didn't think i was in that course. I did no work, made no efforts to complete it, and that is totally out of character based on my transcript. It is more logical that I made an administration mistake than really screwed up the course (I also got the professor to state I did no work for that course as well).

It wasn't your personal situation that caused the mix up, it was an oversight. Explaining things in that light worked for me. No school WANTS to mess things up for you after all, and mistakes happen :) You probably have a reason for not trying to fix it before - didn't know how appeals worked for instance?

Hello,

Are you somewhat in the old shoes of rmorelan, i.e., did you mean to offically drop the course and fail to do so (in the case of rmorelan, actually another course was dropped by mistake)? If you are somewhat like rmorelan case, you are well advised to seek further advice from him/her.

What precisely did you not do that you ought to have done? You is the precise Rule and what is your breach? And can this oversight be explained away in some way?

A friend in law recently took an elective summer course at another university and attended only the first lecture, b/c the prof gave them their assignments and said so long as you hand them in on time, attendance is optional. She never attended again, handed in all assignments and they failed her. Sher appealed successfully on the basis that she had no reasonable way to be aware of this change. She was notified at her email address at the university, but she did not know she even had been assigned an email address. They gave her a hard time, but effectively, she argued that she needed this course and it would be unfair for them to ruin her transcript over this matter where all sides were in good faith. There would be signficant harm to maintain the failure, yes, she made I(committed) a technical breach (of which she was not aware), the purpose of education is for the faculty, the university to encourage education and not to knowingly ruin a student's chances over a matter like this, and she appealed to their sense of fairness, reasonableness and asked them to exercise their discretion in a manner consistent with the best interests of both parties. Finally, the great harm to be caused to her was so out of proportion for the 'technical' violation and she appealed to their good nature. Although the university (b/c the prof who had changed the rules of the game in mid stream) at first did not want to listen to her, they did in the end and acted reasonably. I am unsure of the process, I think she sent of an email and went to see them. It was informal, both sides argued their case strongly, she would not relent and they gave in. It could have gone either way.

I would be happy to help you if I can, altho rmeorelan has the real experience. I just have an inquisitive and argumentative mind. Is your process in writng, if so, what are ther rules, are you applying against a specific decision, etc. I am available on this thread or PM.

No, its not that I didn't know how to appeal a course i just never thought it was existant on my transcript at all b/c it never showed up on my personal records but alas as I prepped for grad school I found that I needed to request transcripts from distance.u and lo and behold here was my beautiful F.

Anyways you're right the honest truth might just be what the doctor called for.

Mucho gracias Kermit.

And I assume, you had paid. Would this have been the first course you had ever registered for at Athabasca? If so, perhaps that is a mitigating factor.

Jochi on this Forum has studied there I believe and she may be in a position to help with practical advice. Go to the thread "What's everybody doing?"

Future Doc:

Thank you for the offer I will most probably need it. The process is in writing and I am currently putting together a letter and going through their policies. I would hope that what you say is true and that the institution is working in favour of the students.

I'll spend the rest of the week drafting up this letter and hopefully throw some ideas off you and rmorelan( if that's ok?).

Thanks again :).

Yup, I paid all 6bones worth for the class. This is the first and only course I have taken through Athabasca. I will definately draw their attention to that in my letter.

I have no interest in asking to be reimbursed; a simple handshake of understanding under the table and to walk our seperate ways would suffice.

No, its not that I didn't know how to appeal a course i just never thought it was existant on my transcript at all b/c it never showed up on my personal records but alas as I prepped for grad school I found that I needed to request transcripts from distance.u and lo and behold here was my beautiful F.

Anyways you're right the honest truth might just be what the doctor called for.

Mucho gracias Kermit.

It's all in the presentation. And here to start, Dean of Faculty? rmorelan and Jochi should be able to give you further guidance, I would be delighted to look over anything you intend to send in writing and you need to determine the best method of handling this and to whom to write, who has the power, who would be sympathetic, etc. As this seems to be somplex, I believe there is a simple approach, I am just not sure of what it is.

Future Doc:

Thank you for the offer I will most probably need it. The process is in writing and I am currently putting together a letter and going through their policies. I would hope that what you say is true and that the institution is working in favour of the students.

I'll spend the rest of the week drafting up this letter and hopefully throw some ideas off you and rmorelan( if that's ok?).

Thanks again :).

Delighted.

rmorelan is the self-appointed angel of this forum who regularly patrols all threads and continuously gives only excellent advice (I am unsure whether rmorelan is the twin of Ian Wong) to all in need and rmorelan has trmendous experience and insight. Jochi, I believe, has studied at that long dist. institution and so, would have 'local knowledge' which is invaluable. I am third string.

Archived