Premed 101 Forums

Queens chances with cutoffs?

The lowest cumulative I've seen is a 3.67 and lowest 2 year is a 3.75... but not everyone posts on these forums.

I feel you though, my cGPA will be around 3.63 even if I get a 4.0 next year :(

/small thread highjack

If you get 4.0 (or 3.9) your last two year GPA average likely could be high enough(?). After that Queens is entirely the interview, you have the same chance as everyone else.

/end highjack

I interviewed this year with a cumulative of 3.3 and a last 2 year of 3.745.

There was one post I did see with a person interviewing with slightly lower two year than me.... (I found it in the accepted thread)

Honours BHSc in Life Sciences at Queens (09)

cGPA - 3.61

Last 2 years - 3.72

MCAT # 1 - 10 (P), 9 (V), 12 (B), P

MCAT # 2 - 9 (P), 13 (V), 13 (B), Q

Applied: Western, Queen's, Ottawa, UofC, Mac, UofT

Interview: Queen's only

EC's: Volunteered overseas 2X, President of Charitable On-Campus Club for 2 years + various exec positions on other clubs, Standard hospital volunteering.

Accepted and Attending!

So you never know.... but even an outside shot is a shot.

The grades cutoff for interview invitations at Queen's this year was a 3.7. I took a shot in the dark and applied in my third year with that exact average, got an interview, and was accepted. So if you have a best two years of 3.7 (which is what they'll look at), and assuming the cutoff is the same next year, you have a chance. Once you get an interview, as rmorelan said, everyone's on the same playing field. Take hope!

The grades cutoff for interview invitations at Queen's this year was a 3.7. I took a shot in the dark and applied in my third year with that exact average, got an interview, and was accepted. So if you have a best two years of 3.7 (which is what they'll look at), and assuming the cutoff is the same next year, you have a chance. Once you get an interview, as rmorelan said, everyone's on the same playing field. Take hope!

How do you know for sure about the 3.7? Or is that the lowest you've seen?

I think it was 2 years ago that Queen's last posted their cut-offs, and I recall them being a cGPA of 3.67 and GPA of 3.78 for the most recent 2 years. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Based on the numbers we've seen so far, it seems it was close to that again this year. So if your GPA is in that neighbourhood, go for it!

Here's a link that can no longer be found but is still up...

http://meds.queensu.ca/undergraduate/prospective_students/the_cutoffs

you were quite close with the cutoffs however.... with a 2 year as low as 3.72 this year and maybe even lower it looks like the cutoff dropped and when you had a 3.745 like myself that drop was significant lol.... mind you I didn't end up getting in, so not that significant haha......

This year I should be in the clear unless they radically change their approach... you never know with mcat cutoffs and the such.

That's great to hear. Thanks everyone for giving me hope.

minor clarification - its last two years, not best two years, but hope still abounds :)

Archived