Premed 101 Forums

The Second Degree Crew

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys,

I'm in the same boat. I finished my B.Sc. degree with a horrible (understatement) GPA and now I'm pursuing studies in engineering, where my GPA is considered competitive. If I get an awesome score in the MCAT, what are my chances of getting into University of Calgary medicine?

I keep hearing conflicting views of UofC looking at only 2 years vs. your ENTIRE transcript.

Hi guys,

I'm in the same boat. I finished my B.Sc. degree with a horrible (understatement) GPA and now I'm pursuing studies in engineering, where my GPA is considered competitive. If I get an awesome score in the MCAT, what are my chances of getting into University of Calgary medicine?

I keep hearing conflicting views of UofC looking at only 2 years vs. your ENTIRE transcript.

UofC looks at your best 2 years to determine if you make the cutoff to be considered at all and then your entire academic record to determine if you get an interview and academic record counts for 50% of the weighting. So you might have a tough time scoring an interview. Fortunately if you do score an interview your academic record is only 20% of the total for acceptance purposes.

A complete file contains the following four (4) pre-interview admission criteria:

ACADEMIC RECORD 50%

EXTRACURRICULAR, VOLUNTEER AND EMPLOYMENT ACTIVITIES 25%

MCAT 15%

REFERENCE LETTERS 10%

1. ACADEMIC RECORD

When the admissions committee members review the files of those applicants who have met the minimum requirements,

they consider the entire post-secondary record (not just the best two completed full-time years).

Just wondering in general, what if you perform worse on your second degree? Has it happened to anyone?

I have seen that happen once before, but the person aborted the attemp mid way through the degree as a result. There just wasn't any point in continuing.

It is a lot rarer though as a) you select the degree with GPA mostly in mind and B) you are a more experienced student and c) particularly motivated to do well.

So....would 3.0/4.0 be 75%*50%=37.5% or is there another way to calculate it..?

And, any tips on how they calculate the ECs...that 25% seems so subjective/arbitrary.

They don't specifically say how your full academic record is scored, but I doubt that it would be 75%*50%=37.5%. From what I've read about other universities most of them use some sort of weighting system based on the current pool of applicants (a bell curve of some sort) or use a formula to convert to a score out of the total. I haven't ever applied to UofC so I don't know much more than their applicant manual states (http://www.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/files/mdprogram/Applicant%20Manual%20Aug%202009.pdf)

I have seen that happen once before, but the person aborted the attemp mid way through the degree as a result. There just wasn't any point in continuing.

It is a lot rarer though as a) you select the degree with GPA mostly in mind and B) you are a more experienced student and c) particularly motivated to do well.

Good point. Thanks! So I assume the person likewise aborted plans of applying?

Hey guys,

I haven't posted in months, and just lurk this page every couple of weeks. I did my first 2.5years at one university and started as a biology major. I powered through my pre-reqs and took on alot of science courses at once. My GPA varied but generally increased to mid-level grades (from 3.25-3.5 after 3 semesters). However I really bombed one semester trying to take four science courses all with labs and a math course with a tutorial. That one semester has really bombed my overall GPA.

I am finishing my last two years at another university (grad after this spring semester finishes). I didn't apply to any med schools my third year but this year I have, my plan if I don't get in is to take on an english degree on my second degree.

I have to admit frustration with the way admissions is handled. If i had thuroughly researched it before starting my undergrad I would have realized that the way to maximize my chances would have been to take on an english degree which is a cakewalk for me, and taken on science electives. I would have had slack 5 course semesters and a lofty GPA, with alot less effort actually put into it. However when I went into my undergrad my thoughts were; (1) I am more interested in a career in the sciences, and if the science relates to human biology/development/body/whatever that excites me more, and (2) if i get an undergraduate in a science degree I should be able to have a fallback job I can work at until I get into med school. Mind you had I started at a different school that may have changed everything but you do what you can.

I hope I don't have to join most of you in doing a second degree (no offense), but I do think less of any of you for not getting in to med school yet, and admire your determination, and willingness to go into huge debt.

• 2 weeks later...

S.weeeet! I just joined p101 I will be starting a second degree next September at Ryerson FTW!!! I'm still deciding on a major...anyone currently @ Ryerson for bio/chem/med physics who can share their experience??

I really appreciate this thread since I've been keeping my plans to apply for medicine on the down low, it just takes away the pressure, and I feel this process is easier when I'm accountable to myself.

I really appreciate this thread since I've been keeping my plans to apply for medicine on the down low, it just takes away the pressure, and I feel this process is easier when I'm accountable to myself.

I can understand the part about keeping it on the downlow. A few people know but I dont advertise it. I did previously apply so several people had to be told about my intentions and of course it was annoying that I didnt get in and than feel like a 'loser' with all these people knowing I applied but didnt get in :o Likely they didnt think that at all however we often cant help but think thoughts like that.

This forum is nice to keep you motivated about working towards your dream as you can feed off of other peoples enthusiasm and it gets pretty exciting around here during applicatio, interview and decision time. So stick around and post some intelligent and friendly posts.

Beef

• 3 months later...

hey guys, just a question, i am graduating from ut this year and lookign to come back here for a second undegrad, in general how long does a second undergrad take to complete? i know that u get first year transfer credits and one credit for your second year. so i would fathom it would take about three years to finish, but others have said it can take two? can anyone just clarify that?

hey guys, just a question, i am graduating from ut this year and lookign to come back here for a second undegrad, in general how long does a second undergrad take to complete? i know that u get first year transfer credits and one credit for your second year. so i would fathom it would take about three years to finish, but others have said it can take two? can anyone just clarify that?

At Western I could transfer either 10 or 11 credits..... basically all of my electives, so to get the degree I only needed to do the core courses of the new degree.

Did it in two years with a couple intersession courses.

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys,

just have a quick question, i see on here some ppl did thier degree through universities through Atabhasca, or distant ed degrees, how do med schools look at these degrees, i mean i dont wanna sound nieve, but would it be considered the same as any other degree?

hey guys,

just have a quick question, i see on here some ppl did thier degree through universities through Atabhasca, or distant ed degrees, how do med schools look at these degrees, i mean i dont wanna sound nieve, but would it be considered the same as any other degree?

DE coursework through an accredited university like Athabasca, TRU or through DE departments at a regular university like UBC is treated the same way as coursework done in person. You just have to be careful to makesure that you follow the fulltime rules for the university that you are going to be applying to. I believe that Jochi did a full-time year at Athabasca and then subsequently got into UofA.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived