Premed 101 Forums

Masters in Math?

Hi guys,

So I'm sort of in a weird scenario I suppose. I'm just about to finish my undergrad in mathematics (in Waterloo it is a BMath, not BSc) and my application to med schools is likely to weak to be getting in this year.

I have the option to follow up my undergrad and do a one year (or 4 month) masters in math, but I wonder if there is really a point. I've been searching extensively and it would be essentially impossible to do any sort of medical-related work with the prof I would be working for so in that sense it doesn't help me. But it is a Master's degree, and maybe would distinguish me a little?

Anyways, I was wondering if I could get some feedback - Is doing a Masters degree in Math a waste of time from a med school standpoint?

Thanks.

It doesn't matter what your masters is in...just like it doesn't matter what your undergrad was in. You don't need to do anything medical related in your masters either. As long as you have the pre-reqs for some schools and the undergrad GPA/MCAT. Some schools give a small advantage to applicants with a graduate degree (Mac, UofT...queens maybe? not sure).

Doing a masters wont help you academically to get into medical school. its the 'life experiences' you'll get from it, like gaining maturity, independent study/work, research experience at conferences, publications, which will help you especially during the interview if you chose to elaborate.

May I ask why your application is not up to the level you are comfortable with? If it is a GPA thing (BMath at waterloo is not an easy program) then I don't think a masters will directly help too much - those cut offs are pretty rigid. What are you trying to correct for?

Thats what makes it sort of ironic:

BMath is a difficult program (thanks its nice to see people recognize this, furthermore I'm a math-physics person which is... well its tough) and my gpa is 2nd highest in my department at the moment making it very, very competitive amongst math students (and certainly high enough for med schools, its around a 3.91).

What I need to correct for is a 10/9/9/M on my MCAT because I never really found time to study heavily or take a class to write the MCAT between research and school terms. Furthermore I haven't taken any organic chemistry and only 4 months of physiology thus far, and haven't written an essay since first year.

I assume getting in this year will be near impossible, and my profs have suggested doing a 1-year masters in math which I think would be neat, but not really that applicable to what I want to do in the future.

I'm not really sure how this would look on a med school app. Would it make me look uninterested in medicine? Would it show I'm a strong academic? Would this time be better spent volunteering and really improving on my next MCAT?

Thats what makes it sort of ironic:

BMath is a difficult program (thanks its nice to see people recognize this, furthermore I'm a math-physics person which is... well its tough) and my gpa is 2nd highest in my department at the moment making it very, very competitive amongst math students (and certainly high enough for med schools, its around a 3.91).

What I need to correct for is a 10/9/9/M on my MCAT because I never really found time to study heavily or take a class to write the MCAT between research and school terms. Furthermore I haven't taken any organic chemistry and only 4 months of physiology thus far, and haven't written an essay since first year.

I assume getting in this year will be near impossible, and my profs have suggested doing a 1-year masters in math which I think would be neat, but not really that applicable to what I want to do in the future.

I'm not really sure how this would look on a med school app. Would it make me look uninterested in medicine? Would it show I'm a strong academic? Would this time be better spent volunteering and really improving on my next MCAT?

In the end your primary weakness then would appear to be the MCAT, which is really the blockage to you getting the proper attention you want. Therefore above everything else you are doing, I suggest trying to repeat and do well on that. Really you probably didn't have the time to approach it properly, and your score is not that far of the required cut offs at a lot of places. You probably want those access to those schools :) I might suggest trying to write it early on and then again if necessary. Get the blockage out of the way if possible and open those doors. Niether doing more volunteering or a masters will directly help you as much or as easily.

Now you can probably do the mcat along with either volunteering or a masters - both of which will improve your application. I can't say which is better - what ECs do you already have?

Plus don't lose hope - you could get into Ottawa this year for instance and be starting next fall :)

thanks =P

yeah i'm definetely going to have to write another MCAT (at least one =( )

I can't apply to Ottawa this year since I was unable to take science labs (it would have put me over my absolute course limit and it would have threatened my position in an honours program lol). And I won't be able to next year either.

So my only real application is to Mac ><

Fortunately, since I would do masters with a really cool prof, I could easily get time to study for and write a few mcats if need be during my masters.

My ECs aren't stellar, but my research background might be. I suppose the masters option makes more sense, which raises the question whether I can stand another year in math =P

I had the same problem about the labs by the way at Waterloo - I took over 40.0 course units at the school in 4 years, caused a few problems to occur at the office level. I was able to get permission to do it though - Did you talk to the Dean of Science about that? It took me a bit of negotiation, but it is possible, particularly for a good cause :)

Anyway you are doing pretty well in math so far - best of luck next year. Rock that MCAT!

thanks =P

yeah i'm definetely going to have to write another MCAT (at least one =( )

I can't apply to Ottawa this year since I was unable to take science labs (it would have put me over my absolute course limit and it would have threatened my position in an honours program lol). And I won't be able to next year either.

So my only real application is to Mac ><

Fortunately, since I would do masters with a really cool prof, I could easily get time to study for and write a few mcats if need be during my masters.

My ECs aren't stellar, but my research background might be. I suppose the masters option makes more sense, which raises the question whether I can stand another year in math =P

heh

The faculty of math is rather un-supportive of there (good) students breaking the rules to ditch math and go into medicine. =(

And i'm not at the 40 classes (what you should take in math). I would be clearing the 50 lol.

That was 40.0 units - 80 full courses :)

still as a masters student you might also have more flexibility. Lets just say it has been done before!

• 2 weeks later...
my gpa is 2nd highest in my department at the moment making it very, very competitive amongst math students (and certainly high enough for med schools, its around a 3.91).

What I need to correct for is a 10/9/9/M on my MCAT

Congrats, impressive GPA in a difficult program. As you've identified, your problem is the MCAT. A reasonable strategy would be to do the Masters and dedicate time to studying and preparing for the MCAT.

As for the applicability of your masters research to a career in healthcare -- you can spin *anything* if you put your mind to it. There must be somebody, somewhere using the same techniques/constructs that you'll be using, but using it in something related to meds.

• 1 month later...
Guest success100

Math is a good program.

But obviously,you should take something related in science-biology,it will be even more helpfull in medical school.

That is just a thought...but keep in mind that your math teachers won't really like you if they know that you're a pro in maths,taking the program to

get an "easier" access to Medical School.

Go with what you find to be the best idea.

There's plenty of choices in University,choose the best for you.

PS:What ever program you choose,aim high grades,always.:)

That's really awesome you pulled off a 3.91 in math, very impressive! I don't really think you're in a bad situation. It is easy to fix mcat in couple months. If it were the other way around (you had a very good mcat but a low gpa) there would be almost no way to go about fixing it (esp in only a couple months). So, you could do the masters or spend the year improving your app in other ways. As long as you rock the mcat next time, you should be fine for next cycle. (hopefully this one works out though).

Man, if you're looking to get involved with a masters in math with a medical focus, i STRONGLY urge you to check out Dr. Robert Smith? (the question mark is part of his name) at the University of Ottawa.

Pay particular attention to his paper on mathematical modeling of a hypothetical zombie epidemic and what strategies could be employed by the mainstream public to stop it.

spoiler: nothing, we're dead either away.

edit: link to his site: http://www.mathstat.uottawa.ca/~rsmith/

Man, if you're looking to get involved with a masters in math with a medical focus, i STRONGLY urge you to check out Dr. Robert Smith? (the question mark is part of his name) at the University of Ottawa.

Pay particular attention to his paper on mathematical modeling of a hypothetical zombie epidemic and what strategies could be employed by the mainstream public to stop it.

I love that paper ! Nothing like a "real world problem" to bring math in to focus :)

Best Zombie based research I ever read :D

That zombie paper is awesome haha

I'm trying to think of ties to do something biology-related for a masters if i go that way, my focus and experience thus far has been numerical analysis so that isn't totally unheard of, but I question whether numerical analysis has any use in the hospital...

Archived