Premed 101 Forums

character limit

How much detail are people putting into answers? It seems that 1200 characters for three activities is A LOT - you could write paragraphs for each. I'm a bit confused about why some people were talking about how there's not enough space to include the position of verifiers.... :confused:

You probably already know this but 1200 characters is NOT the same as 1200 words. So actually you don't have the option of writing very detailed descriptions of what you did. Trust me it's not a lot

not sure if anyone asked about this before, would it be okay to put 2 activities in instead of 3, provinding that you give it a little more details and what you have learnt from the activities? or is it preferred to list 3 activities with shorter descriptions of each. Can those in the school shed some lights in this dilemma?

not sure if anyone asked about this before, would it be okay to put 2 activities in instead of 3, provinding that you give it a little more details and what you have learnt from the activities? or is it preferred to list 3 activities with shorter descriptions of each. Can those in the school shed some lights in this dilemma?

I would list 3, but that's my personal choice. People can BS a lot about what they've done in a particular activity, so while specific details that will show the extent of your involvement are important (e.g. don't just say you raised funds for a volunteer mission, say you did it single-handedly and raised $5000, or something like that), I wouldn't waste space on writing something that likely won't be taken very seriously. Treat this as a resume, not a scholarship essay. That's my opinion, anyway.

I would list 3, but that's my personal choice. People can BS a lot about what they've done in a particular activity, so while specific details that will show the extent of your involvement are important (e.g. don't just say you raised funds for a volunteer mission, say you did it single-handedly and raised $5000, or something like that), I wouldn't waste space on writing something that likely won't be taken very seriously. Treat this as a resume, not a scholarship essay. That's my opinion, anyway.

Interesting - so focus on cold hard facts (acheivements) as opposed to motives and learnings?

Interesting - so focus on cold hard facts (acheivements) as opposed to motives and learnings?

That was my approach. Considering the limited amount of space available, I didn't want to bother writing various BS along the lines of "My experience volunteering at the hospital allowed me to really feel the extent of human suffering as I fetched water to the demented geriatrics in LTC...." I decided that "Hospital volunteer - received award for outstanding service" was a much more succint and informative approach. But like I said, that's just the approach I adopted and it worked well for me since I had a pretty high PAS despite what I thought were fairly average ECs. Maybe someone else had a high PAS with a different approach.

That was my approach. Considering the limited amount of space available, I didn't want to bother writing various BS along the lines of "My experience volunteering at the hospital allowed me to really feel the extent of human suffering as I fetched water to the demented geriatrics in LTC...." I decided that "Hospital volunteer - received award for outstanding service" was a much more succint and informative approach. But like I said, that's just the approach I adopted and it worked well for me since I had a pretty high PAS despite what I thought were fairly average ECs. Maybe someone else had a high PAS with a different approach.

no you are right i think. thats a good point about BS taking up much more space. thanks for the tip.

actually, a couple of my employment exps come up in other sections, where i'll likely apply the BS component, having already described it

Archived