Premed 101 Forums

Scotiabank New LOC limit for Med/Den

paks54

Hi Everyone,

I am the BC professional loan expert for Scotiabank. We are very pleased to announce we have a new authorized LOC limit for Medical and Dental students. Our rate is Prime, follows you into residency and remains so until your LOC is paid off. I can get you other province expert names ... just ask

Patty

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's right...you just pay the interest until you're done residency. After residency you must start paying the principle.

Now is it the same as the med school frame - where you actually use the LOC to pay the interest as you go along? Or is the entire LOC frozen during residency and you really do have to pay the interest out of salary etc.

Not that it matters much, more of a curiosity thing than anything. I would hope I can actually start replying the loan itself during residency.

It would make sense to me that they apply the payment first to interest owing and the remainder of the payment toward capital reduction. Of course, during the build up period, part of te capital would consist of 'capitalized interest' that was not paid while you were a student.

Absolutely! I am wondering if the LOC actually gets frozen then during the residency, or whether you can continue to use it during it until you become completely trained. For that matter, what happens to it after that :)

Although only the OP knows for sure (plus residents), it woulod make sense that the loan continues to be available during residency which is part of our education - and after all, the banks compete for our business, the purpose of obtainingour business is to make loans available, the greater the loan, the greater the profit for the bank in terms of interest..and they would want us all to max out our laon during med school and residency to max their profits.

My husband just finished family med. He got his LOC (at the time with a maximum lifetime limit of $150K). He used it through med school and residency - so long as you haven't hit your limit and continue to make payments, you can continue to use it until you have completed your residency. (And yes, for those who won't have an income, you can do stupid things like transfer money out of your LOC into a chequing account and then use that money to pay the interest on the LOC e.g. take it out and put it back.) Some banks have it set up so that you just roll the monthly interest over into the balance owing - that's very convenient for med students who won't have a regular monthly income to speak of.

After residency (about 6 months or 12 months later, depending on the bank) you negotiate the repayment schedule. Obviously, it's best to use as little as possible and pay it down as fast as possible once you have a residency income, since usually your great interest rate (prime) goes up once you go into repayment. Interest rates are INCREDIBLE for loans right now, but there's no place for them to go but up.

......usually your great interest rate (prime) goes up once you go into repayment. Interest rates are INCREDIBLE for loans right now, but there's no place for them to go but up.

What is interesting with Scotia is the following:

Hi Everyone,

I am the BC professional loan expert for Scotiabank. We are very pleased to announce we have a new authorized LOC limit for Medical and Dental students. Our rate is Prime, follows you into residency and remains so until your LOC is paid off. I can get you other province expert names ... just ask

Patty

If your interest rate goes up, might it be worthwhile flipping your loan over to Scotia:) and saving a bundle in interest over time?

Go for it and check it out! Time may be of the essence and we all do what is in our own best interests. Once you have another bank lined up, your present bankers may well be willing to renegotiate rather than lose your business to competitors - altho Scotia hav e the added benefit of ahigh loan limit. They want to earn the interest. Use your power and your smarts! The devil is always in the details. Good luck!

Its not necedssarily too good to be true. Undoubtedly, there will be other loans and having built up your loyalty, be it for mortgage, a practice loan, etc., your first choice will be to the bank that treated you well - and the interest rate will not be at prime for these type loans. So, the bank is making an investment for future business, while still making money on the exisiting professional student loan. It is simply good business on the part of the bank -and something for you to take advantage of in arranging your finances in the most cost effective way possible!

RBC offers the exact same thing.

It's not too good to be true. Even at prime, they are raking in the interest on the loan, and on top of that will probably secure a lifelong lucrative client in terms of personal and business financing.

Hmmm, don't think my RBC loan does that right now. I will be confirming all of this shortly and post if I find out anything interesting :)

Archived