Premed 101 Forums

'Car Value' and OSAP

Hey guys,

I'm trying to buy my car and it's gotten a bit difficult! According to McMaster financial aid, I can buy a car valued at under $10 000 using the Blue Book Value without it affecting my OSAP. I'm aiming for under 10 grand, obviously, with the accumulation of debt leering at me and my desire for interest-free (if temporarily) debt.

So my question is - how do we find the Blue Book value? I can only find the Kelly Blue Book online, which is in American dollars. Also, are we looking at Trade-in value (which is what I would expect, because OSAP is looking for assets) or are we looking at suggested retail price (MSRP)?

I emailed Mac Fin Aid but haven't heard anything yet, so anyone wno knows would be really helpful.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Search autotrader for cars under $10k. Dealers especially will mark the price up waay above what it's worth, so you should have a pretty safe margin of error. If the price is too far below it's KBB value, then walk away because there's got to be something wrong with it (previous wreck, flood damage) that they want to get rid of it quickly.

• 2 months later...
sp1nz -can you give me the Black Book value for Mazda 3 Sport 2004 base model with a little over 100,000 KM and average condition? MUCH appreciated

Hey

The June 1st 2011 BB Guide value is:

Retail:

$7450 for the Sport GS

$8350 for the Sport GT

Hope this helps!

It's dumb. What's the use of selling your car then have no way of getting anywhere in the city =(

I had a serious conversation with on osap rep who was quite open about them believing you should just take the bus, which I guess for most students is quite possible (if annoying in some cases :))

Doesn't quite work for clerkship when your rotations often start before buses are even running though.

Could you quote me a 2007 civic DXG 4 door pls? I want to make 100% sure I know the value, cuz it has to be in my name.

He already did. $11325 (assuming it is in 'average' condition).

sp1nz, where are you getting these values? Is there something I can register for and access?

He already did. $11325 (assuming it is in 'average' condition).

sp1nz, where are you getting these values? Is there something I can register for and access?

I'm getting these values from the Canadian Black Book. You can register for the subscription, but it is very expensive (usually only dealers and automotive companies would buy the subscription).

I currently work for an automotive-financing company, so I have this tool at my disposal and I don't mind helping out!

haha... guess I should have messaged sp1nz as well. I estimated that my car was worth $11,400 and OSAP just informed me that it's really worth $17,025.

Considering I paid $17,000 for it last summer with 30K less clicks on it, that seems like robbery to me. Seriously, OSAP is CRAZY when it comes to cars!

Bye bye OSAP loan!

Could you give me the value of the:

2005 Honda Civic LX Special Edition Sedan 4D?

2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition Sedan 4D?

Thanks sp1nz!

2005 Honda Civic LX Special Edition Sedan 4D: $7875

2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition Sedan 4D: not listed, but may be refering to the SE which is $6975

Archived