Premed 101 Forums

Terrorists caught across Ottawa, London...one's a Doctor.

oto

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2010/08/26/ottawa-rcmp-arrest-folo.html

"Misbahuddin Ahmed, 26, and Hiva Alizadeh, 30, both of Ottawa, and 28-year-old Khurram Sher, of London, Ont., have all been charged with conspiracy to knowingly facilitate a terrorist activity."

"Police allege Sher is a McGill medical graduate who travelled to Pakistan in 2006 to help with earthquake relief and also auditioned for the Canadian Idol singing competition in the past."

"Therriault alleged at a news conference in Ottawa Thursday that the men conspired with three other men, whom they named as James Lara, Rizgar Alizadeh and Zakaria Mamosta (who Reuters reported are not in Canada), and other unnamed individuals in Canada, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Dubai to commit terrorism-related offences."

A mcgill meds graduated pathologist was planning to blow up some part of the ottawa or toronto transportation system... one of which I use. Kinda shocking for me. He also auditioned for canadian idol and even went on relief efforts to pakistan. That makes me sorta paranoid. Literally anyone can be a terrorist.

I still can't understand how a doctor be involved in terrorist activities. They're so well educated and have good lives. What drives them.. I can imagine someone jobless and frustrated with life being driven into this sort of thing because they might be depressed and sensitive.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think mosques should start stressing non-violence even more. Some people are still missing it.

It's not the religion or the religious leaders, it's the people. With any religion, especially Abrahamic ones, if you look for it you can find people who will use perfectly legitimate passages of the Bible or Qur'an to justify murdering people who for all intents and purposes are innocent. If someone for whatever reason has a murderous bent to them, they will simply ignore the moderates and focus on the radicals and their own message. No religious authority is objectively any more or less legitimate than any other, so it's all up to the listener as to whose words carry with them the sort of gravitas.

That said, this guy had some sweet dance moves and it's crazy that a pathologist would throw away his awesome career to waste time doing garbage like this. I mean, even if you're in the mood to kill some people, if recent events have shown anything it's that the latest crop of terrorists are ****ing dumb as hell and can't do anything right, and that sticking with them is a great way to get arrested and end your life.

Seriously, though. The shoe bomber. Underwear bomber. Times Square bomber. Since 2001 it's been a string of absolute screw-ups who can't even detonate an explosive properly. Did we just catch all the good ones, or put bullets into them in Afghanistan? Not to tempt the reaper, but from where I'm sitting I can only guess that the Three Stooges took the reigns of Al-Qaeda, and are too busy calling each other wise guys to teach the newest batch of psychos how to explode themselves properly.

It's big news here (Ottawa) but it's kind of getting out of hand. For example, the other day on the news, these people were like "We're scared to go to Bayshore [a mall that's somewhat close to the neighbourhood they were caught in] because we don't want to be close to a bomb." Come on people!

It's big news here (Ottawa) but it's kind of getting out of hand. For example, the other day on the news, these people were like "We're scared to go to Bayshore [a mall that's somewhat close to the neighbourhood they were caught in] because we don't want to be close to a bomb." Come on people!

Your post is the same attitude I'd have when terrorist events would take place. Cause c'mon, what're the chances..

But it's kind of frightening that I'm using the exact transport system that they might've bombed. This made me realize why some people may get scared.

It's not the religion or the religious leaders, it's the people. With any religion, especially Abrahamic ones, if you look for it you can find people who will use perfectly legitimate passages of the Bible or Qur'an to justify murdering people who for all intents and purposes are innocent.

When you watch what sometimes goes on in religious settings, then you realize why so many terrorists are of the same religion regardless of their ethnicities, backgrounds and culture.

This is an excellent documentary of undercover videos in three of Britain's most influential, large and commonly-labelled progressive mosques (London Central Mosque, Green Lane Mosque Birmingham and some islamic centres): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc7PqjD_S3s.

Full list:

* Markazi Jamiat Ahl-e-Hadith ,

* UK Islamic Mission

* London Central Mosque and Islamic Cultural Centre in Regent's Park

* Green Lane Mosque, Birmingham

* Ahl-e-Hadith mosque, in Derby

* UKIM's Sparkbrook Islamic Centre, Birmingham

* King Fahad Academy

* Muslim World League.

These mosques are in no way outliers. They're major mosques. The documentary was made after the array of terrorist attacks in England.

I believe many positive and good things are taught and propogated in these mosques. The video is obviously showing mostly the controversial or bad.

Seriously, though. The shoe bomber. Underwear bomber. Times Square bomber. Since 2001 it's been a string of absolute screw-ups who can't even detonate an explosive properly. Did we just catch all the good ones, or put bullets into them in Afghanistan? Not to tempt the reaper, but from where I'm sitting I can only guess that the Three Stooges took the reigns of Al-Qaeda, and are too busy calling each other wise guys to teach the newest batch of psychos how to explode themselves properly.

There were a bunch of screwups just like this before 2001. Then 9/11 happened. That's evidence of when a terrorist attack does happen correctly. That was a catastrophic event, it rattled one of the strongest countries economically and culturally.

my parents are friends with a dr. at the hospital he was working at, and apparently the guy had only been there for 3 weeks. what moron spends the time going through med school and residency, and then decides to continue being a terrorism?! like honestly!

LOL at the three stooges comment. to be honest I think it has more to do with the fact that they have low IQ's to begin with.

Especially a sweet specialty like pathology. Giving up a job as a pathologist to do something illegal is just ridiculous.

I dunno if I'd call them stupid necessarily. Religious people of all stripes pride themselves on their faith, on believing that which there isn't any evidence for. If these guys genuinely believed that an all-powerful, all-knowing being as old as time itself was on their side, and was looking out for them, I think it's reasonable to believe they'd take stupid chances and do reckless and otherwise stupid things, simply because they probably felt that Allah would load the dice for them.

When you watch what sometimes goes on in religious settings, then you realize why so many terrorists are of the same religion regardless of their ethnicities, backgrounds and culture.

I don't doubt that per capita there are more Muslims who become terrorists than probably any other religion, but I think ascribing it to the religion itself is incorrect. The bottom line is that people call Islam a religion of violence, but if you look at the Bible it is absolutely loaded with the most reprehensible stuff imaginable. Warrants for slavery, for genocide, for selling your daughter into slavery even, the list goes on. Moses was told to annihilate the Midians, for example. Every man, woman, child, and baby. Fanciful story though it may well be, it is still the god of the Christian religion telling one of the heroes of that faith to slaughter babies. And in other cases, they kill all the men and save the women and girls for purposes perhaps best not described. Fact of the matter is that if someone wants to commit wholesale slaughter in the name of the Christian religion, they need look no further than the Bible themselves.

I know I'm doing an awful job of not making this a religion debate, but the bottom line is that Islamophobia, as they call it, is misguided, and describing Islam as inherently more violent than the Christian religion is false.

There were a bunch of screwups just like this before 2001. Then 9/11 happened. That's evidence of when a terrorist attack does happen correctly. That was a catastrophic event, it rattled one of the strongest countries economically and culturally.

Well, there is actually a reasonable list of successful attacks by terrorists even before 9/11. Obviously there are Christian, homegrown terrorists like McVeigh, but there were also successful attacks on the Bali nightclub that killed hundreds, the USS Cole where a bunch of sailors died, and so on. But since then, apart from the London metro bombing, they've not been able to pull off much. I think we've perforated their A-Team and now they're rolling out their B-Team, which happens to include Dr. Avril Levigne over there.

Being afraid to do stuff is how terrorists win. But yeah, really, you're more likely to be hit by a meteor made out of bees that gets struck by lightning which is actually a shark than to be killed in a terrorist attack. Every day of our lives with play the odds, people shouldn't behave any differently.

Your post is the same attitude I'd have when terrorist events would take place. Cause c'mon, what're the chances..

But it's kind of frightening that I'm using the exact transport system that they might've bombed. This made me realize why some people may get scared.

Yeah, I get why people would be afraid, but I think Tango summerized my thoughts perfectly:

Being afraid to do stuff is how terrorists win. But yeah, really, you're more likely to be hit by a meteor made out of bees that gets struck by lightning which is actually a shark than to be killed in a terrorist attack. Every day of our lives with play the odds, people shouldn't behave any differently.

I don't doubt that per capita there are more Muslims who become terrorists than probably any other religion, but I think ascribing it to the religion itself is incorrect. The bottom line is that people call Islam a religion of violence, but if you look at the Bible it is absolutely loaded with the most reprehensible stuff imaginable. Warrants for slavery, for genocide, for selling your daughter into slavery even, the list goes on. Moses was told to annihilate the Midians, for example. Every man, woman, child, and baby. Fanciful story though it may well be, it is still the god of the Christian religion telling one of the heroes of that faith to slaughter babies. And in other cases, they kill all the men and save the women and girls for purposes perhaps best not described. Fact of the matter is that if someone wants to commit wholesale slaughter in the name of the Christian religion, they need look no further than the Bible themselves.

I know I'm doing an awful job of not making this a religion debate, but the bottom line is that Islamophobia, as they call it, is misguided, and describing Islam as inherently more violent than the Christian religion is false.

tc man, read the bible and koran. I've read a little bit and they are vastly different in their approach. The difference is that the bible will say reject, and the koran will use kill or hate; it's just way more aggressive and intolerant.

And you can see the evidence of this vast difference. Christian nations will take refugees and people of all religions (reluctantly sometimes) and allow them to practice their religion although most hope to convert them.

Muslim nations will usually end up killing off any other religion and get them as close to 99% muslim as possible. Dubai, one of the most liberal muslim nations in the world, won't let a non-muslim get citizenship. No muslim countries will let any other religion even build a setting where they can pray and worship.

You draw a terrible picture of jesus and christians will condemn it angrily and reject it. Draw a picture of muhammed and you're sure to have death threats, embassy burnings, violence and just a more aggressive response.

This behavior isn't random, it's based on the religion's philosophy and verses.

The evidence is here for us to see. There's no denying it. I can go on ranting. But from the root (books) to the end (world), you can see the difference between christianity and islam.

lol, if comedy central wasn't afraid then i wouldn't be so afraid.

I really don't want to get into another religion debate given how they've gone lately. All I'm going to say is that Christianity is as bloody and evil a religion as Islam, it's the people who filter out the crap (or not) and make it somewhat tolerable (or not).

I think they're more afraid of making slightly less money and having to deal with unhappy letters than being genuinely afraid of being injured or killed. Sacrificing free speech upon the altar of avarice would hardly be surprising.

But maybe not. I don't know. The refusal of any Western media to reprint the cartoons that spawned all that death and violence, showing those thugs that intimidation works just fine and that our freedom of speech doesn't count for anything these days, was one of the biggest low points in recent memory.

what moron spends the time going through med school and residency, and then decides to continue being a terrorism?!

Their was the military psychiatrist in the US who killed people and the terrorist at a UK airport who was a physician.

So, educated people, including physicians, go nuts too, just like the rest of the population can.

Can't believe I'm the first to say this...

With all due respect to the RCMP, CSIS etc, this individual has been *accused* of certain crimes. He has not been convicted, and deserves the presumption of innocence.

I like to think there's an unspoken caveat of "... provided they're/he's guilty" whenever arrests are discussed.

tc man, read the bible and koran. I've read a little bit and they are vastly different in their approach. The difference is that the bible will say reject, and the koran will use kill or hate; it's just way more aggressive and intolerant

And you can see the evidence of this vast difference. Christian nations will take refugees and people of all religions (reluctantly sometimes) and allow them to practice their religion although most hope to convert them.

Muslim nations will usually end up killing off any other religion and get them as close to 99% muslim as possible. Dubai, one of the most liberal muslim nations in the world, won't let a non-muslim get citizenship. No muslim countries will let any other religion even build a setting where they can pray and worship.

You draw a terrible picture of jesus and christians will condemn it angrily and reject it. Draw a picture of muhammed and you're sure to have death threats, embassy burnings, violence and just a more aggressive response.

This behavior isn't random, it's based on the religion's philosophy and verses.

The evidence is here for us to see. There's no denying it. I can go on ranting. But from the root (books) to the end (world), you can see the difference between christianity and islam.

Alright :mad: .One of the most ignorant posts ive ever seen. I ddnt want to start a religious debate either, but i have to answer this guy.

1)- Great. So you read a little bit of the Quran and assume that it preaches a violent approach to everything. Do you want to here some verses on tolerance which dont involve that hate and kill you were talking about?

2)- "Muslims nations will kill of other nationalities" ????. Care to cite any example of a country today or yesterday which killed of its Christian population to make it 99% Muslim. Its a simple fact since the 1950s that people dont migrate to Asia (predominantly Muslim), but immigrate to America and Europe

4)- You claim "Dubai, one of the most liberal muslim nations in the world, won't let a non-muslim get citizenship". Have you ever lived in the Middle East or have any idea of how liberal they are and how much freedom (Yes, for women) the public have there. Only thing they dont allow is drinking openly which is in Islam. Similarly no Western country allows Azan from a Mosque. Dubai and other Arab countries give a nationality to non-Arab people after 25-30 years. The reason is the Palestinian-Israeli conflict. This has roots in culture not religion.

5)- "No muslim countries will let any other religion even build a setting where they can pray and worship" - Ridiculous. Obviously you've never used Google.

6)- "You draw a terrible picture of jesus and christians will condemn it angrily and reject it. Draw a picture of muhammed and you're sure to have death threats, embassy burnings, violence and just a more aggressive response".

Whose embassy in what country was burned, can you tell?. Muslim countries banned imports from Holland and Denmark as a protest, and this is violent in your opinion. If you draw a terrible picture of jesus its not only the Christians who will protest,muslims will too. Reason you see protests when drawings of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) are made is simple. because Muhammad is very sacred in Islam. Muslims believe in his teachings and love him. Religion for them is not just restricted to a particular time of the week or particular activity , its involved in every aspect of life. By redrawing the pictures of Muhammad (PBUH) again and again you dont send the message "let the terrorists know, we will not be intimidated by them" ....but you hurt the religious sentiments of ordinary muslims, and when peaceful demos dont work, you cant blame them for getting violent. Drawings of any prophet are prohibited in Islam. Drawing Muhammad for your own amusement or art is one thing, but publishing it and showing publicly knowing it will anger people is another.

Terrorists are found in every religion, in every culture . If Islam was the religion of violence, as its claimed, it wouldnt have this many followers, neither would it have lasted 1400 years. Secondly Knight templers were not muslims, neither were the Huns, nor did the muslims start the crusades. Taking a sample from a bunch of miscreants with misguided ideals and attributing terrorism to Islam is as fair as thinking the american public are savage and inhuman warmongers because their government attacked Iraq for no reason other than their own selfish designs. Its just the thing that more muslim terrorists have appeared in this age. Who are they? ordinary people following Islam as it is. Nopes. Those ignorants who take out extreme interpretations of religion or dont give a damn to it but just use its name to follow their own agenda.

Muslims, themselves, condemn terrorist activities. 9/11 killed hundreds of Muslims too. If Islam preached terrorism then why would it be that Muslim majority countries would be facing terrorist activities daily, rather than predominantly Christian countries?. No Muslim supports what this doctor and his friends did. They only reinforce the negative image of Islam and make life difficult for muslims in the west. Being a doctor is about helping and saving humanity, no matter which religion you are from. Its supposed to bring the human out of you, not the devil.

"Project Samosa"

What a non-racist name for a terrorism investigation.

Definitely lacks creativity, anyway. What happened to all the good names they had for stuff like back in the old days? Operation Overlord. Operation Torch. Operation Goodwood. Those are names I can get behind. Project Samosa, while tasty, is a bit obvious.

Dubai, one of the most liberal muslim nations in the world, won't let a non-muslim get citizenship.

They also won't let muslims get citizenship. Being an Emirati and thus having citizenship in the UAE is based on parents not religion. The only way to become a citizen is to be born to citizens or marry into a family. About 71% of the population of Dubai aren't citizens and most of those are migrant workers from India and Pakistan who are muslim and have no chance to ever become a citizen.

Can't believe I'm the first to say this...

With all due respect to the RCMP, CSIS etc, this individual has been *accused* of certain crimes. He has not been convicted, and deserves the presumption of innocence.

Came here to say this as well.

We've seen plenty of problems south of the border, and enough on our side, to have learned our lessons concerning the suspension of presumption of innocence. People *may* be posting under the implication that this only counts if he's convicted, but I feel its worth it to remind some of us that he hasn't been convicted.

Despite this, the easily fear-mongered (for lack of me finding a better word) have already been piping up about not feeling safe based on these few arrests, with little information about the degree to which they were in real danger... and little information concerning the daily danger that they seem to ignore until it makes headlines... but this is more annoying than relevant here.

The fact that one of the accused was an MD doesn't come as a surprise either. Many "terrorists" are well educated, and come from good socio-economic backgrounds. Ideological dogma's such as religious beliefs and nationalist beliefs trump these other factors with little resistance.

No muslim countries will let any other religion even build a setting where they can pray and worship.

I hope this is a joke. There are lots of christians and Jews in middle eastern countries (lebanon, Syria, Iran, even Iraq). A few years ago, there used to be a huge community of Jews in Morrocco with synagogues and a whole rabbinic system.

I've visited Saudi Arabia several times (my dad worked there for several years, establishing the crash-fire-rescue services for their airports through ICAO and the UN) and I've seen first-hand how horribly women are treated there.

My father's boss was a Saudi, and as he had a daughter my sister's age (15) we were invited over to his home, to visit with his daughter. There we learned that she was going to shortly be married to a man, 20 years her senior, whom she had never, ever met. She had to stop going to school, and the only things she had been allowed to learn in school were religion and home-making! When we visited this home, the only people we saw were the two daughters (the 15 yo and a younger sister) and the female servant that brought juice and cookies for us.

So I have first-hand experience as to how some Muslim countries treat women, and I'm very, very glad I don't live in such a country. Women there can't vote, can't drive, can't hold jobs, etc. They are basically the property of their father and then their husband, and have no rights! And the Saudis claim that this is what Islam insists upon. I know there are other Muslim countries where women have more freedoms, but Saudi Arabia is the country of origin for Islam.

When the first Gulf war took place, most of the Saudis thought the American and Canadian servicewomen were only there for the pleasure of the men! :eek: (Yes, Canada had a military hospital deployed during the first Gulf war, as well as a engineering regiment that was there to provide support, such as water purification, to the hospital.)

Even as visitors in Saudi Arabia, we were not allowed to go anywhere unless we were accompanied by a man, and we had to wear a black dress called a "habaya" anytime we left the compound where my father and other Westerners lived. When we arrived in Saudi Arabia (the first time), a bunch of our magazines were confiscated, because there were photos of women in them who weren't covered head-to-toe in clothing!

Those trips definitely made me appreciate that I had been born and raised in Canada.

I hope this is a joke. There are lots of christians and Jews in middle eastern countries (lebanon, Syria, Iran, even Iraq). A few years ago, there used to be a huge community of Jews in Morrocco with synagogues and a whole rabbinic system.

Then there is Saudi Arabia, where I wasn't even allowed into the country wearing a chain with a small cross on it! They definitely do not allow any Christian or Jewish places of worship. Not to mention they only allow in very few people who aren't Muslim (ie. people like my father who were working for the UN, and their families when they came to visit, like me).

The evidence is here for us to see. There's no denying it. I can go on ranting. But from the root (books) to the end (world), you can see the difference between christianity and islam...

They're pretty blatantly similar, actually, so don't invoke any evidence because its a losing battle on both sides.

Instead of getting into a quote-off I hope we can agree that both testaments and the Qur'an have each numerous examples of promoting immoral, savage behaviour. Even from the lips of Jesus himself.

Now most people these days would read something like luke 19:27 and chalk it up to mis-quote, mis-translation, or any number of things, but the Christians who carried out the inquisition, the bible-thumper fundamentalists we tend to fear even today - they've read the books as well as anyone here and they can square that behaviour with a passage in the New Testament. You don't even need to reference the homicidal, genocidal Old Testament.

Not to bash Christianity any more than Islam however, just if you're going to reference the texts then you have to concede that both have some good messages mixed in with some very dark ones. Sure today Christian states have made the news less than Muslim ones, but there was a time when they could get away with doing much more, and they did - using the same books we read today.

Then there is Saudi Arabia, where I wasn't even allowed into the country wearing a chain with a small cross on it! They definitely do not allow any Christian or Jewish places of worship. Not to mention they only allow in very few people who aren't Muslim (ie. people like my father who were working for the UN, and their families when they came to visit, like me).

Yeah, that doesn't contradict what I said

Archived