Premed 101 Forums

Suggestions for moderators, and improvements to Premed101 forums

Ian Wong

What NewfieMike says is correct theoretically. However, there is a sensitivity issue, comfort level issue and those unilingual French speakers do not have their Lounge. Why not create one and see what happens, it can always be shut down if after several months it remaoins dormant.

Whenever there is a French post on what is traditionally English sacred space, you get the posts, why French here, please translate, I don't understand. It will not affect me one way or the other, but why not give this accommodation and see what develops. There is no downside that I am aware of.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In addition to previously having proposed Karma and thebouque as mods, I also propose that Cerena become a mod. She too is bilingual, she is an undergrad who will be here for some time and her posts are exceptional, sharing her knowledge and wisdom, with kindness and courtesy always. She will be around here for years to come and will become one of the future Leaders of this forum. I think the fact that she is relatively new is immaterial considering her regular contributions and demeanor.

So we now have The Lounge - which is great.

I believe the French speakers should have le café where they may discuss topics of interest that are not specifically related to a particular medical school. Fair is fair, this is a bilingual site and both languages should be given equal treatment in terms of discussion threads.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. :P

This would be a good idea! And nothing forbids the french speakers to participate in "The Lounge". Either for our english speaker friends :)

Sorry for my bad english :P I speak French normally :P

This would be a good idea! And nothing forbids the french speakers to participate in "The Lounge". Either for our english speaker friends :)

Sorry for my bad english :P I speak French normally :P

Je suis entierement d'accord avec toi. L'idee du café est juste pour faciliter la trouvaille des posts en francais selon moi...De plus, j'avais commencé un thread en anglais et certains usagers du forum se sont plaints car ils ne comprenaient pas...cest pourquoi je trouve que ce serait une bonne idee de la part de f_d doffrir les 2 sans que personne ne soit blessé :)

Seems like we already have a CAPTCHA system to filter out spam bots, but I'd like to point out this free one that's apparently for a good cause (digitizing and preserving old books) and also accessible to blind users.

Upon further research it seems like it's recently been cracked and forums are getting flooded by bots, possibly because they use dictionary words instead of random strings of nonsense.

I think there should be an entire forum here dedicated to research. So many undergraduates and medical students pursue or attempt to pursue research and there is a wealth of knowledge on premed101 about research. I did a key word search for "research", search titles only, and got over 400 results. In the past month, and with NSERC proposals about to be submitted, I think it would be a great benefit to have a forum dedicated for researchers. It is something almost every premed does. Just as a comparison, the "podiatry" forum has only three threads.

I think there should be an entire forum here dedicated to research. So many undergraduates and medical students pursue or attempt to pursue research and there is a wealth of knowledge on premed101 about research. I did a key word search for "research", search titles only, and got over 400 results. In the past month, and with NSERC proposals about to be submitted, I think it would be a great benefit to have a forum dedicated for researchers. It is something almost every premed does. Just as a comparison, the "podiatry" forum has only three threads.

This is such a good idea, and now that you've pointed it out, I'm really surprised no one ever thought of it before! But there have been a ton of research questions lately and it would be really helpful to have them in one spot. I know that for me personally, I sometimes don't notice threads that are in the General forum, but I always make sure to check the Non-trad forum because I know can offer a lot of advice there. It would be the same thing for research - I can offer a lot of advice about research, and I would definitely be more likely to see people's questions about research if they were all in one spot.

And it would be the perfect place to create a data base of say, summer research internships available in Canada and abroad. Such a data base built up over time would be a valuable resource to the membership.

So, although my research knowledge is very limited, I absolutely support this excellent suggestion.

This is such a good idea, and now that you've pointed it out, I'm really surprised no one ever thought of it before! But there have been a ton of research questions lately and it would be really helpful to have them in one spot. I know that for me personally, I sometimes don't notice threads that are in the General forum, but I always make sure to check the Non-trad forum because I know can offer a lot of advice there. It would be the same thing for research - I can offer a lot of advice about research, and I would definitely be more likely to see people's questions about research if they were all in one spot.

Yes I totally agree! Having a database for all the research opportunities out there would definitely help so we don't have to search around on the forum. Also, people can answer each other's questions regarding applications and learn helpful advices from those who have applied in the past.

just saw this on sdn...don't know if it's been suggested but one of those filters (like on search threads) where when you type out a new thread, it suggests other similar threads, just based on keyword I guess...I think it cuts down on the number of duplicate threads...

Could we try to get atleast one medical school admissions committee member to start a thread for each school? But the thread should not be on the obvious info, but on myths and misconceptions regarding the admissions process. There are so many stats and horror stories on this forum that shedding some light on the realities of the admissions process would be helpful.

I also think this is a great idea! There are so many pre-meds that are doing (or would like to do) research!

I also agree with this. premed 101 has expanded beyond just helping premedical students but also anyone in the health sciences field as well. Creating a new forum or new section specifically for research would make it much easier to locate information that us forum users already share with one another in many of the other forums.

• 4 weeks later...

Can a section for current health related issues be made?

A lot of people have been sharing some really interesting articles/videos/etc. It'd be nice to have a specific center for it so people can go there specifically when they want to catch up on stuff. :)

Thank you to everyone who is helping with running this site! It is a really amazing resource for pre-meds :D

It might be cool to have a sub forum surrounding paramedic/emr schools, certification and career info as it's a pretty relevant aspect of medicine.

Also, given the fact that the different provinces have different requirements/career paths it might be good to spread the knowledge in one place.

Yes I totally agree! Having a database for all the research opportunities out there would definitely help so we don't have to search around on the forum. Also, people can answer each other's questions regarding applications and learn helpful advices from those who have applied in the past.

I also think this is a great idea! There are so many pre-meds that are doing (or would like to do) research!

I also agree with this. premed 101 has expanded beyond just helping premedical students but also anyone in the health sciences field as well. Creating a new forum or new section specifically for research would make it much easier to locate information that us forum users already share with one another in many of the other forums.

What purpose can a new forum serve that the premed general or non-trad forum can't? If it's a problem of searching, a the new forum software will have a better search engine.

A dedicated 'research opportunities' thread was attempted by f_d a while ago but no one bothered to contribute. How will a dedicated research forum be different?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey how about having a Sub forum for High schools to ask questions relating to Medicine or University. I am seeing alot of these threads in the General Premed discussions. In relation to a research forum, there has been great interest as of late. People are constantly asking about research here. So it could be a possiblity? Other than that, you guys are doing great :)

Archived