Premed 101 Forums

Suggestions for moderators, and improvements to Premed101 forums

Ian Wong

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think we should have a General Quebec Discussions, because since our system is different, it will be easier for us to get help.

I do like this suggestion. Simply because the system in Quebec is much different from other provinces.

Just like Ontario has a different system and has the General Ontario Discussion forum, I think one for Quebec students would be a fair request :)

The Cegep students who are not going to McGill, Laval, UdeM, Sherbrooke need to end up creating Threads in one of these med school Forums - even though the issue raised has nothing whatsoever to do with that med school.

They don't, therefore, get the targeted audience/traffic they deserve and it is pot luck if the right person who has the answer even sees the thread.

It is only fair and reasonable that their legitimate concerns are dealt with properly. This will not clog up the website, rather by creating this new forum, the legitimate needs of a segment of membership will finally have a home where their concerns may be addressed. In truth, this is long overdue.

Different healthcare professionals have their own forum and Cegepians or Quebecers (prior to entering med school) need their own forum whatever the name assigned to it.

Why don't we just separate the EASTERN MEDICAL SCHOOLS section into two sections :EASTERN MEDICAL SCHOOLS and QUEBEC MEDICAL SCHOOLS .

We can have CEGEP DISCUSSIONS in the QUEBEC MEDICAL SCHOOLS section. Similar to the OMSAS DISCUSSIONS section..

Anyways, that is just my two cents.

Cheers,

ABS:D

abstract, what a marvelous suggestion. If you go down to Forum Jump and lock in either Eastern or Western Medical Schools, you will see they both closed to posting - so they are simply Headings.

We are both saying the same thing, whether there is a Heading entitled Quebec Medical Schools or not, i.e., there needs to be another forum for the Cegep crowd!

Quebec should have it's own section which should include the 4 Quebec schools, a general discussion, and maybe a Cegep section (or cegep discussion could be in the general section). There should be in the geeral and cegep sections a sticky thread about the Cote R (a thread for cegep and another for university).

I suggest there be separate threads for the major undergraduate schools. I get a lot of PMs regarding UTM and I think there can be a unified thread (sticky perhaps) for each school and people that go there can post courses that are easy, strategies, tips, contacts, etc. That way, if someone has a question, other people can also find out the answer :)

I agree. York, for example has a lot of activity on this board. I'd enjoy it if there was a York sub forum to keep things in one place.

I realize this isn't a forum for various UG schools but the people from these schools are unique and bonded by their interest in meds therefore it seems logical we take on that discussion for those in various schools looking to pursue meds.

I wouldn't mind being a mod (on here all the time anyway - haha); but I'm starting to feel that I'm "out of the game" for too long - don't know anything about these new fangled computer MCATs, for example!

Not sure such would even matter :) Mod roles have little to do with answering questions - most of the mods are pretty in the background actually!

There is already an unofficial list going around of members who are willing to advise applicants. I think we should make a master list of people willing to help, with a list of what areas they particularly want to help with.

I get a bunch of PMs sometimes about parts of applications that I don't really know a lot about, like MCAT rewrites (I only wrote once). And there are some specific areas that I do know a lot about.

I think this would be really useful to applicants.

• 2 weeks later...

If I may suggest the titles of the stickied threads should be in large font so people actually reads them before posting separate threads.

Also we should have a separate stickie titled "what should I do if I screwed up (1st year, 2nd year, 3rd year, math, physics, calc, chem, you name it course/year)?"

And lastly we should have bold letters telling people to actually visit the websites of med schools before posting questions here, many questions could have been answered by visiting school's website, blog or FAQ pages. (maybe we should have a thread with links to med school's blogs).

If somebody has suggested these before I apologize for my oversight.

If I may suggest the titles of the stickied threads should be in large font so people actually reads them before posting separate threads.

Also we should have a separate stickie titled "what should I do if I screwed up (1st year, 2nd year, 3rd year, math, physics, calc, chem, you name it course/year)?"

And lastly we should have bold letters telling people to actually visit the websites of med schools before posting questions here, many questions could have been answered by visiting school's website, blog or FAQ pages. (maybe we should have a thread with links to med school's blogs).

There is already an unofficial list going around of members who are willing to advise applicants. I think we should make a master list of people willing to help, with a list of what areas they particularly want to help with.

I get a bunch of PMs sometimes about parts of applications that I don't really know a lot about, like MCAT rewrites (I only wrote once). And there are some specific areas that I do know a lot about.

I think this would be really useful to applicants.

I second these motions.. :D

The function will likely be available in the next software upgrade. We're stuck with good ol' regular font for now.

I couldn't agree more. But a good comprehensive sticky that covers common scenarios for every school takes time and effort. If anyone steps up to the plate puts together a solid post, I think we'd be happy to make it a sticky.

I'll put it in the main FAQ when I have time

I really like these ideas. Along these lines, is it possible to make the search feature more promintent? I know it can be tough to see.

Software upgrade when it comes

I would think it worthwhile for the mods to automatically ban any new member who provides a link - and delte the post(s). It is only a matter of time that our compurters will be infested from a link. No? An ounbce of prevention.....

Not a good use of our time. It takes more steps to ban a member than it does to delete all their posts. And the bots make new accounts regardless. The only thing that will reduce the spam is a software upgrade, and even then it's not 100%.

Archived