Premed 101 Forums

Suggestions for moderators, and improvements to Premed101 forums

Ian Wong

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For goodness sake, we don't need any more mods. There are like frickin 8 new mods already, even though ian should've only chosen like 4 and then seen if any more were needed.

It would actually be appropriate if a couple or trio of the mods are changed back to senior members again.

For goodness sake, we don't need any more mods. There are like frickin 8 new mods already, even though ian should've only chosen like 4 and then seen if any more were needed.

It would actually be appropriate if a couple or trio of the mods are changed back to senior members again.

Ian is probably preparing for the future - when even the new mods may not be as regularly on the board. Acutally he said he will add even more mods soon when he gets back from his trip. He is hoping as a result the board will carry on without his direct intervention for some time then. Makes sense, he is a busy guy after all :)

Ian is probably preparing for the future - when even the new mods may not be as regularly on the board. Acutally he said he will add even more mods soon when he gets back from his trip. He is hoping as a result the board will carry on without his direct intervention for some time then. Makes sense, he is a busy guy after all :)

Yeah, that's why I said it would be good to give one of the mods the power to pick other mods, in case the existing ones become too busy

^ wth did rmorelan edit Leon's post??

On an unrelated note, I vote Leon as mod! No seriously, he'd make a good mod. He's on here frequent enough and reads through all the threads too.

hehehe, spelling mistake in the quote from my post that he was quoting. Actually editted and saved the thing before I realized I was on his post.

Still getting used to the mod system here. Seems like I can actually edit any post but as you can tell it does at least leave a trace which is good. Don't want any silly hidden editting going on.

Would anyone be interested in using a wiki add-on for this forum?

The only thread that I can think of that can really benefit is the 'US Schools Accepting Canadian Applicants' thread, where users can modify the list based on their findings. As of now, the list of US schools is a little confusing imo. The downside to wikiposts is it's more work for the mods to maintain and it's not free for Ian (about $100).

Would anyone be interested in using a wiki add-on for this forum?

The only thread that I can think of that can really benefit is the 'US Schools Accepting Canadian Applicants' thread, where users can modify the list based on their findings. As of now, the list of US schools is a little confusing imo. The downside to wikiposts is it's more work for the mods to maintain and it's not free for Ian (about $100).

This would be very useful for compiling all the admissions requirements for different med schools, kind of like those FAQ threads that pop up occasionally. In fact I think there already is one, but nobody knows about it and it is incomplete and full of spam: http://wiki.premed101.com

• 3 weeks later...

Back online! Just got back to town.

The wiki project was started over a year ago, but ran into disrepair, as anyone (especially bots) could edit. It destroyed a lot of work.

I agree that a wiki is a great idea, but there needs to be some sort of reliable mechanism to avoid defacement. Does this software allow that?

Ian

PS: Am going to talk to my web host today to see how to get started on upgrading vBulletin. This is a pretty old version, so it might take a little work to make it fly.

Back online! Just got back to town.

The wiki project was started over a year ago, but ran into disrepair, as anyone (especially bots) could edit. It destroyed a lot of work.

I agree that a wiki is a great idea, but there needs to be some sort of reliable mechanism to avoid defacement. Does this software allow that?

Ian

PS: Am going to talk to my web host today to see how to get started on upgrading vBulletin. This is a pretty old version, so it might take a little work to make it fly.

Apparently something like that is possible through an extension to MediaWiki, that claims to "restrict editing pages to registered users with a single login shared with vB". Seems like it would allow people who already have pm101 accounts to log in to the wiki using the same username/password. So whatever spambot precautions we've taken on vBulletin would also carry over.

• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year everyone!

A quick update for everyone. I called up my web hosting company over the holidays to talk about the process of upgrading vBulletin. The hosting package I have now is sufficient. He raised the fact that this version of vBulletin is too old to upgrade directly to the newest software; there needs to be at least one extra upgrade to an intermediate version first. So, two software upgrades to make these forums current.

I'm currently in the midst of doing a lot of paperwork to get credentialed and licensed to do some locums work which starts later this month, and has taken up a lot of time. I want to do the upgrade but need to allow the time to fix things should the upgrade go sideways. I do not have a definite timeline for this.

I'd also like to say thank you to all the new moderators, who have done a fantastic job of keeping the forums clean!

Happy New Year to everyone!

Ian

Yeah, that's why I said it would be good to give one of the mods the power to pick other mods, in case the existing ones become too busy

Excellent suggestion! I believe that Ian should give this power/athority to rmorelan with the added power to choose his successor to have this power when rmorelan becomes less active. If it continues this way, trust persons will hand their authority to younger generations in perpetuity, without the necessity for Ian to become hands-on again.

A number of members have requested to become appointed mods in a thread at moderator sign-in. thebouque and Karma, both bilingual, both attending French speaking schools, both in the English and French threads routinely would make excellent additional moderators.

• 3 weeks later...

naspec made an excellent suggestion months ago that seems to have gotten lost. He suggested that there be a dedicated forum for Medical Student Banking - LOCs as various threads at different times on this topic are everywhere; and, it would seem easier for those interested to quickly find relevant threads, contribute to them on an ongoing basis and to create new threads when required, without duplication....for your consideration.

So we now have The Lounge - which is great.

I believe the French speakers should have le café where they may discuss topics of interest that are not specifically related to a particular medical school. Fair is fair, this is a bilingual site and both languages should be given equal treatment in terms of discussion threads.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. :P

So we now have The Lounge - which is great.

I believe the French speakers should have La Cuisine where they may discuss topics of interest that are not specifically related to a particular medical school. Fair is fair, this is a bilingual site and both languages should be given equal treatment in terms of discussion threads.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. :P

Great idea f_d! However <<La cuisine>> means <<the kitchen>> in french (it is kind of Housewife-esque loll)...The equivalent of the lounge would be like <<Le café>> or <<L'agora>> or <<le salon>> :)

Anyhow, being a french speaking member, I totally support your idea!

The french-speakers don't have much difficulty having discussions in english about any topic. And the Lounge feels much more complete and united with the french-speakers and english-speakers all at the same place discussing a variety of issues that affect both of them. :) We love each other! :)

The french-speakers don't have much difficulty having discussions in english about any topic. And the Lounge feels much more complete and united with the french-speakers and english-speakers all at the same place discussing a variety of issues that affect both of them. :) We love each other! :)

i would like to agree with you but there are some people on this forum that do not want to see french posts on this site. Check out the thread COMMENT SAVOIR and see for yourself...

Archived