Premed 101 Forums

Suggestions for moderators, and improvements to Premed101 forums

Ian Wong

I personally think high schoolers should spend their time enjoying high school while they can, not researching on how to get into med school before they're even in university.

+1, now I'm in university, really missing those carefree days as high schoolers lol...

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I personally think high schoolers should spend their time enjoying high school while they can, not researching on how to get into med school before they're even in university.

+1. And parents should stop asking on behalf of their kids. It gets kind of irritating when a mother wants to get her son into medicine more than her son even wants to get into medicine.

Seriously, what is with people sometimes these days? There are many career opportunities to look at and explore.

What purpose can a new forum serve that the premed general or non-trad forum can't? If it's a problem of searching, a the new forum software will have a better search engine.

A dedicated 'research opportunities' thread was attempted by f_d a while ago but no one bothered to contribute. How will a dedicated research forum be different?

Okay, I’m up for round two of supporting my idea, and just for numbers sake, there are 5 members (including f_d) who have also supported it and just one member in opposition that I can see clearly. Let me assure you that this was my opinion alone, this was not a part of some other members agenda contrary to what anyone else might think. It was simply my response to a very large amount of PMs which I received from other members about finding research positions, what research was like, getting a paid research position versus a volunteer paid position, and a hoard of other general research questions that were sort of overwhelming for me to answer.

To answer your first question, “What purpose can a new forum serve that the premed general or non-trad forum can't? If it's a problem of searching, a the new forum software will have a better search engine.” :

I think that a new forum should be created when there is demand for one, which, I mean I understand five members agreeing with my idea is far from mind-blowing, but if I could show you how many PMs I’ve gotten from members asking me about clinical research and the range of questions I am getting I guarantee you, many members have lots of questions about research, be it in the general sciences, psychology, clinical research, whatever. And not everyone is sure how to receive these opportunities and I just sincerely feel that having a research forum might help to create a place where members can discuss their experiences with research, independent of any other forum. I would be a regular contributor as well, and I am hopeful that others would too.

A dedicated 'research opportunities' thread was attempted by f_d a while ago but no one bothered to contribute. How will a dedicated research forum be different?

I’m not entirely sure, but perhaps because it was called “research opportunities” other members thought that it was only a place where they could post research job/volunteer opportunities and these are not always advertised by labs or hospitals. By having a general research forum, I am optimistic that all members who are looking into research, or have done research in the past will have something to contribute or to ask.

All I am trying to do is help to create something that can help other members on this forum, which again is simply a response on my part to many members asking about research and I hope that this post explains my rationale and answers your questions. I really am trying my best here, I want others to succeed, and I think that research is such a fascinating and rewarding experience and that a dedicated research forum would only be of benefit to other members. If it really is such a strange and obscure idea, then why don’t we ask other members what they think about it? If no one supports this idea then sure, I understand and I’ll continue to help those who message me privately or even who ask in the general premed questions forum. But, please consider this. It wasn’t something I posted aimleslly. Thanks for reading this, I hope this explains my reasoning.

-C

Cerena... Why don't you create a thread in the premed section and title it- questions about research. Then you can see what other people are attracted to it. Add your info in, tell people to post questiOns in that thread instead of sending you pm's. That would be the best way to gauge whether or not another sub forum would be required.

I'm thinking about doing that for paramedic stuff, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Ultimately this forum has several hundred active members and thousands of inactive members so I'm not sure what a significant amount would be needed to start a new research subforum, but starting and maintaining a relevant thread on your behalf might show the mods that it is needed.

Cerena... Why don't you create a thread in the premed section and title it- questions about research. Then you can see what other people are attracted to it. Add your info in, tell people to post questiOns in that thread instead of sending you pm's. That would be the best way to gauge whether or not another sub forum would be required.

I understand what you are saying however I'm not an expert on research, I won't pretend I am, and sometimes I feel like yes I am doing the best job I can to help, but other members have great input as well (for instance, I have no experience with graduate supervisors, or certain fields of research). I feel like a thread may have useful suggestions which might get lost...

BUT that being said I'm completely open to your idea, it's great, and I've been compiling a thread like the one you have suggested. Thanks a lot for your response! :) And if anyone has any requests for topics that they want to see in the thread I'm compiling, please let me know by PM. I want it to be great, comprehensive, and packed full of helpful suggestions and I'll do my very best. As I am a fairly new member, you're right. I don't know how many members would be needed to create a research subforum. I have talked to Ian about this idea, which he has said is particularly intriguing, so I hope I'm onto something and I'll try my best to see what kind of demand there is from other members. Sometimes what one perceives to be important may not be so, so I think you're suggestion is a great plan.

Thanks hking. I think that you're paramedic thread definitely has the potential to be helpful to other members.

EDIT - Research FAQ thread in the works http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50554

I'm with Cerena on creating a research thread. I think many of the questions of "where can I get research" can be effectively answered by Cerena's wonderful post (which someone should sticky...) but there may be other questions as well. I didn't know that my research on cell phones would actually be worth something, for example...and I know some people think that research for a course that isn't project or thesis also counts. So that sub-forum would be a good place to ask - it may also help clean up "general premed".

Well, I think Cerena already covered this, but the problem was probably the title.

I'm with Cerena on creating a research thread. I think many of the questions of "where can I get research" can be effectively answered by Cerena's wonderful post (which someone should sticky...) but there may be other questions as well. I didn't know that my research on cell phones would actually be worth something, for example...and I know some people think that research for a course that isn't project or thesis also counts. So that sub-forum would be a good place to ask - it may also help clean up "general premed".

Around app time there will be lots of questions about "can I use research from a lab course as research."

All told- it's probably worth another shot?

I agree a research thread would be useful. A lot of members on this forum have really good input as to how to go about finding a PI, what to write in a first e-mail, preparing for interviews, etc. I really appreciated people's support when I was looking for my first research position. I think a lot of people could benefit from it.

Not only a research fourm is needed though. You can see how many people here who are in high school want Information about med school and med school related stuff. Im sure if we can get a Sub fourm, we could make a FAQ about these things (if anyone is willing to try it with me im more than willing) and they can post things related. I think it will keep General Premed for people who are in university going into medicine, not those going from high school to University then Med... Just a thought.

Not only a research fourm is needed though. You can see how many people here who are in high school want Information about med school and med school related stuff. Im sure if we can get a Sub fourm, we could make a FAQ about these things (if anyone is willing to try it with me im more than willing) and they can post things related. I think it will keep General Premed for people who are in university going into medicine, not those going from high school to University then Med... Just a thought.

I think that's a great idea. If you want to try out your idea with a FAQ, like what I did with the research questions I've been getting (thanks hking for the great suggestion), I'm willing to help you out as well. You've gotten support from other members and there are tons of questions for high schoolers specifically.

I think this would be a great idea too. I'd be willing to help with this :).

I think many of the questions of "where can I get research" can be effectively answered by Cerena's wonderful post (which someone should sticky...)

Thanks mac :) I really hopes it helps others... and doesn't get lost in general premed discussion... *sigh* lol

EDIT - It's stickied!! Thanks so much!

I really support Cerena's idea of a research sub-section. I think many of us are either doing research and looking for help to maximize what we are doing or others are looking to get into it and need guidance. Furthermore, when seraching "research" it does not only come up in one section of the forum. This shows that not only premeds are looking for info, but med students, non-trads, PhDs, etc. as well.

The most FAQ's in the premed section are: Where should I go for undergrad?, What should I do for my extra-curricular activities?, How do I calculate my GPA?, Do I need to volunteer at a hospital in order to get into medical school?, Should I do research in undergrad? How?, I have a low undergrad GPA, should I do a an extra year, M.Sc., or a second degree? and How will it affect my application if I take courses in the wrong year? For example, what if I take first year courses in fourth year?

In the past months the questions regarding research have gotten much more specific than "Should I do research in undergrad? How?", very frequent and as Cerena mentioned, touch many disciplines.

I could go on, but I think with this you can see why I support the idea :D

C

It was simply my response to a very large amount of PMs which I received from other members about finding research positions, what research was like, getting a paid research position versus a volunteer paid position, and a hoard of other general research questions that were sort of overwhelming for me to answer.

...asking me about clinical research and the range of questions I am getting I guarantee you, many members have lots of questions about research, be it in the general sciences, psychology, clinical research, whatever. And not everyone is sure how to receive these opportunities and I just sincerely feel that having a research forum might help to create a place where members can discuss their experiences with research, independent of any other forum.

-C

Hey guys,

Quick site update.

Just returned from a 3 month locums job in Regina, SK. I'm now back in the city with the #1 NHL team this year (who will undoubtedly choke once again in the early playoff rounds).

I decided to create the research forum, and have spent the last few minutes moving a bunch of threads into it. There were a ton of threads scattered among the forums, primarily the General Premed Discussions forum, and so pulling them all out seems to make sense. Thanks to Cerena for creating the FAQ thread, and bugging me via PM until I got it done.

I'm not sure if you want to duplicate the Research part of the FAQ and sticky it in the Research Discussions forum or not.

The whole forum software upgrading thing has taken a lot longer to do, simply because I was out of town. I plan on upgrading the hosting package that this website is using to avoid things crashing on acceptance day. Upgrading the forum software will take two steps as this software version is old enough that it won't upgrade to the latest edition via one step. I need to talk to the vBulletin guys to make sure it can be done smoothly.

Hope this application cycle has been good to everyone so far.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

I think there should be a separate section for high school students to ask questions regarding undergrad... Pre-undergrad section? Pre-university? Should help reduce the amount of redundant "Which university should I go to" threads in the General Premed section.

Archived