Premed 101 Forums

Suggestions for moderators, and improvements to Premed101 forums

Ian Wong

Hi all,

As a followup to the above general announcement, I've started this thread for you to add any suggestions for either moderators, or ideas on how to make the forums better. Please keep all replies in this thread on topic, and avoid duplicate threads.

I will work on getting the forum software upgraded once I am able, which should be around mid-December. Until then, I will not have much access to the forums.

Thanks!

Ian

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO:

rmorelan is the most qualified. Also, I would advise against appointing as moderators anyone who is not, at least, a medical student because many undergrad posters are just not mature enough to act as mods. Also, moderators should have been around the forum for a while, and should, ideally, have a threshold post count to indicate active participation.

It might also be a good idea to have one or two mods specifically to delete spam and others to actually regulate and enforce proper forum behavior. I'm not sure if the current software allows such intricate control though.

Thank you very much Ian for responding to our requests!

And yet, I'll say it again. RMorelan for pm101 mod.

Definitely agree with this.

But I'm not sure about making a post threshold in order to become a mod. It will only create more meaningless posts as people try to up their post count in an attempt to reach the threshold.

We should open up the private Clerkship/Internship forum to the public. This is something SDN does and that we can improve on. We may want to also limit who can post in there so that all can view but only clerks/interns/residents can post on there.

future_doc is a fantastic contributor and a kind person. However, that isn't the criteria for choosing a mod.

A mod is chosen based on neutrality and maturity foremost (in addition to many other factors like contribution, posting history, etc..)

For example, the mods didn't delete threads discussing religion or smoking even though a lot of people went berserk opposing them. They did however shut down threads to do with people discussing ethnicites and judging different countries and their people because they soon were on the verge of racism.

These tough decisions require putting personal biases aside and being very neutral. I applaud the mods.

Also, I think rmorelan seems pretty neutral and a consistent mature contributor.

Make rmorelan a Mod!

Depending on how much moderation we can get - account restrictions on new accounts may be viable. Something like no hyper-linking until your tenth post is used on a number of popular websites.

I'd like to see an additional forum for just general discussion so that the general premed forum can focus more on specifically pre-medical discussion.

I don't know if they're around that much lately but moo and ploughboy should be considered as mods - if not general then perhaps for the residency forums.

rmorelan and LostLamb would be great mods- they'd both be very fair, very good mods. rmorelan might be a good choice as a second "super mod" if you find yourself really busy- he seems to know quite a bit about computers and would be an excellent mod :) (I might be biased though- he was the the one to respond to my first (rather noob) post over a year ago:o). moo would also make a great choice if he's (I'm assuming moo's a he) willing.

I was thinking too- would it be possible to have "honourary" mods- in memory of the two active pm101ers (and MAC meds students) that died in September? Could we make them both (nemesis and gb37) "honourary" mods in their memory? Nemesis was a very kind, very helpful member of the pm101 community (and I'm sure in life as well), he would have made an excellent mod.

As much as I don't want to call out anyone on here, I agree with others about not having future_doc as a mod (even though she has stated she wants to be one in other threads). She may help lots of people and give good advice on occasion, but the future mods on this site shouldn't have started threads like this (and other posts personally attacking members on the forum): http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44441 regardless of the reason behind it.

Add me to the list of people objecting at making future_doc a mod.

I think this point has been made more than enough. The request was for suggestions of mods - not suggestions for who shouldn't be a mod. Stop being so ridiculously malicious.

Suggestion: Perhaps it would be useful to have Mods specifically from each university to help answer questions/clean up their respective forums?

I think this point has been made more than enough. The request was for suggestions of mods - not suggestions for who shouldn't be a mod. Stop being so ridiculously malicious.

+1 future_doc has helped me numerous times, and I appreciate her help :)

Also, I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet: we need more specific sections on the forum, like an off-topic section. The "General pre-med" is too general, and often people start posting about religion or what-not in here.

Glad to hear the forums will be getting cleaned up, thanks Ian!

+1 future_doc has helped me numerous times, and I appreciate her help :)

Also, I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet: we need more specific sections on the forum, like an off-topic section. The "General pre-med" is too general, and often people start posting about religion or what-not in here.

Glad to hear the forums will be getting cleaned up, thanks Ian!

Uhh, general pre-med IS for anything 'general'. All other sections cover everything else. We have TOO many sections already.

Archived