Premed 101 Forums

What was/is the most significant contribution in modern medicine?

smalltowngirl33

Not sure what is modern in your view, but... 19th Century= Germ Theory which led (and was a product of) to Antisepsis/Asepsis. This caught on in late 19th/early 20th Century, and it was a major factor in transforming hospitals to how we know them today, in allowing all sorts of surgical procedures to be possible, a factor in transforming nursing in the early 20th century, creation of antibiotics, good hygiene, etc. Germ Theory also led to the discovery of DNA..

Not sure what is modern in your view, but... 19th Century= Germ Theory which led (and was a product of) to Antisepsis/Asepsis. This caught on in late 19th/early 20th Century, and it was a major factor in transforming hospitals to how we know them today, in allowing all sorts of surgical procedures to be possible, a factor in transforming nursing in the early 20th century, creation of antibiotics, good hygiene, etc. Germ Theory also led to the discovery of DNA..

germ theory for the win!

germ theory for the win!

+1, its sad that despite my health sciences background I cant remember hearing about this theory before... :P

Also, anesthesia and blood transfusions were really impt breakthroughs in my eyes

How do you define 'modern'?

I would say aseptic technique. I don't want to participate in this whole 'supporting evidence' thing.

Modern medicine is medicine as we know it today, in terms of allopathic or western medicine. I wanted to make this thread distinct from alternative medicine. Throughout the course of medicine, some therapies were thought to be beneficial at the time but have (in the last hundred or so years) been proven to be ineffective. That is the only reason why I wrote in "modern medicine."

P.S. I think that anesthesia was a great contribution. Before it was used in surgical operations, surgeons were thought of horribly! The patients didn't want to go to see them. Who would want to have an amputation and feel that pain? You would nearly scream to death, or die of shock. Today we are able to have life saving operations, without anesthesia these would essentially be nonexistent.

Here's something no one would say - radiation sciences!

1. Cancer treatment - one of the few proven treatments available.

2. Medical imaging - Xrays, CAT scans, and MRI make for much faster and potentially more accurate diagnosis (assuming you're not on a waitlist to get one).

Vaccination has only eradicated 2 diseases (rinderpest and smallpox). I wouldn't consider that to be "many". But I get your meaning if you don't define eradication in the true sense of the term.

Oh? How many cases of polio have there been in Canada recently?

And it's quite right that the development of anesthesia is what gave rise to the feasibility and expansion of surgery, not asepsis.

And it's quite right that the development of anesthesia is what gave rise to the feasibility and expansion of surgery, not asepsis.

the poster was being overly picky - there are actually still cases of polio in the world so the disease is not technically erradicated :)

the poster was being overly picky - there are actually still cases of polio in the world so the disease is not technically erradicated :)
Yeah, I was just being difficult. It's been hard-wired into my brain that the term eradication shouldn't be used except for smallpox or rinderpest. Although I guess the profs in my program should be happy that I learned something.

Archived