Premed 101 Forums

What was/is the most significant contribution in modern medicine?

smalltowngirl33

K, this is more of an abstract answer, but what about the patient-physician relationship? It has withstood the test of time, originating in the days of Hippocrates, and is still relevant today.

It has actually changed throughout the years.. Originally the patient had a much greater say as much of the diagnosis was based on his/her description of symptoms.. This changed with developments in anatomy/pathology and the technology associated with it in the 18th/19th century.. As medicine has become more and more scientific and taken on more technology, it gets further and further away from the understanding of your average patient and it increases the disconnect in the relationship. Or so my History of Health Care course is teaching me ^^

Also with the other poster, I have to agree that anesthesia did transform surgery in a more dramatic way... However, Lister's ideas lead to a much higher chance of not contracting infection after surgery so it made surgery a much more viable form of intervention.

Can you imagine that many people would be lining up for plastic surgery if a good chunk of the population was dieing from it or their faces were blowing up from infection?

Sure, you can go for one of the obvious answers... or you can REALLY impress the adjudicators and bring up a recent advancement - skin cells, pushed back to progenitor stem cells - possible cure for leukemias and possibly many other diseases:

http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca/story.cfm?id=7045

I've already heard three MDs at Mac claim that they believe this research will win a Nobel prize in medicine.

As medicine has become more and more scientific and taken on more technology, it gets further and further away from the understanding of your average patient and it increases the disconnect in the relationship

You raise an interesting point. Actually, the Knidians (which were kind of like the rivals of Hippocrates and his holistic view) tended to take the focus away from the patient and more on the disease. This was at a time with very limited knowledge concerning pathology/anatomy/Etc. Their school of thought was essentially overpowered by Hippocrates and his focus on patient care. You seem to argue that we actually are aiding with the Knidians school of medicine :) and I think you have a far argument! However, I don't think the patient-physician relationship has been phased out. There are still aspects of medicine which tend to rely on this relationship. I guess one interesting question would be why do medical students recite the Hippocratic oath if his influence in medicine is disappearing?

Sure, you can go for one of the obvious answers... or you can REALLY impress the adjudicators and bring up a recent advancement - skin cells, pushed back to progenitor stem cells - possible cure for leukemias and possibly many other diseases:

http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca/story.cfm?id=7045

I've already heard three MDs at Mac claim that they believe this research will win a Nobel prize in medicine.

I read your post:) but I guess it depends how the question is worded. The treatments you have mentioned are possible treatments and the question I asked in my post was "what was/is the most significant contribution in modern medicine?" how can you make an argument for something without supporting it's efficacy? It has not cured anything yet, it is just a possibility. Just wondering how one might make a case for what you are suggesting. Thanks

haha, i know eh, i must be like anti-doctor then, i wanna see style in an interview, i already know you have a 3.7+ gpa in molecular biology, id prefer to hear an interesting story, not feel like im audiobooking a paper out of science :P

I read your post:) but I guess it depends how the question is worded. The treatments you have mentioned are possible treatments and the question I asked in my post was "what was/is the most significant contribution in modern medicine?" how can you make an argument for something without supporting it's efficacy? It has not cured anything yet, it is just a possibility. Just wondering how one might make a case for what you are suggesting. Thanks

Archived