Premed 101 Forums

Hope Box for people with no e-mails yet

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone know what "full file review" means exactly? If the rejections today were the ones that didn't make it to full file review, I have to imagine that they evaluated more than just MCAT + GPA to decide interview offers. Maybe they looked at ECs but not the essay?
Regarding the bolded, I was under the impression that the rejections today were the ones that didn't make it to the full file review as well as some that did get a full file review and were subsequently rejected.

The first file review is done, so I would imagine a lot of people were rejected based on that. Unless some of those people with unreal stats were missing prereq's they must have been in the first review. Also as a point of interest, where do you all live? If they're sending out invites to the GTA Monday, and you live in Toronto, you were probably already reviewed. Just a theory. On the other hand, if you're from Toronto and haven't heard anything, think positively!

Today's rejections likely consisted of the following:

1) People who did not meet the bare requirements (eg, 3.6 gpa)

2) Students who made it to a full review, but likely scored in the bottom percentiles. My guess is that this is due to either low gpa (eg, 3.6-3.8), lacking extracurriculars (especially for students with mind blowing numerical stats), or some fatal flaw in their application.

Hard to say. Sometimes I wish I had just gone into investment banking

For anyone else who was interested in the numbers for this year....

From the coments on the "how we use the MCAT" blog post:

"... our application numbers went down very slightly this year. We have 2954 applicants for 259 seats." "There are 763 graduate applicants this year"

Last year there were 534 interview offers for 250 spots.... here's hoping for good news from Leslie this week!

Regarding the bolded, I was under the impression that the rejections today were the ones that didn't make it to the full file review as well as some that did get a full file review and were subsequently rejected.

According to another poster, the rejections sent out last week were of those who did not meet minimum cutoffs, or who did (therefore, they got a full review), but they were not deemed "competitive" in either their academic or non-academic components.

Many candidates may not get results for another 2-3 weeks, so the ones sent last week may have been the most clear rejections in the minds of the committee members (although its strange considering several seemingly high quality candidates got rejected).

Hearing about these rejectioins has got me super nervous again. After being rejected from Mac, I was heartbroken. Mac, U of T and uOttawa were my best bets. Fingers crossed!

Mac was supposed to be a sure thing too, but CASPer screwed me most likely, sigh.

Here's to wishing/praying/hoping for the best :)

Best of luck all!

According to another poster, the rejections sent out last week were of those who did not meet minimum cutoffs, or who did (therefore, they got a full review), but they were not deemed "competitive" in either their academic or non-academic components.

Many candidates may not get results for another 2-3 weeks, so the ones sent last week may have been the most clear rejections in the minds of the committee members (although its strange considering several seemingly high quality candidates got rejected).

Sorry in advance but this post makes no sense from the perspective of U/T. Some rejected applicants were clearly competitive (ie full file review) and are (unfortunately) the result of the 1st cut from the 1st batch reviewed. This is in addition to all the non-competitive folks who did not meet the bare minimums.

From here on in, rejections will be coming out for the rest of the remaining competitive pool (they filtered out those who did not meet cutoffs this past Friday). The next big file review (according to the blog) will be grad heavy. And the last big file review (U/T typically has 3-4 big file reviews) will probably (I'm not sure about this) include the rest of the applicants they did not have a chance to review yet.

If your application was reviewed in the first batch and you did not get a rejection e-mail, it seems that you will be getting an interview invite. Alas, none of us can know who was reviewed or not so far.

How often do these file reviews happen? I'm antsy because I read somewhere on this forum that U of T tends to send local interviewees invites first for the earliest interview date, but that grad students get theirs rather late usually -but I'm a local grad student :P soooo...

How often do these file reviews happen? I'm antsy because I read somewhere on this forum that U of T tends to send local interviewees invites first for the earliest interview date, but that grad students get theirs rather late usually -but I'm a local grad student :P soooo...

Haha no idea. Guess if you don't get an invite tomorrow then you can assume you'll be hearing in the next batch. I *believe* (and HBP may know better than me) that period between reviews/releasing new decisions is a few weeks (2-3 weeks).

My thoughts/speculation (take w/ grain of salt please):

Realistically, I'd think that invites will start tomorrow (January 31) and go out until mid March (since last interviews are last week of March and not mid April like last year). So probably we will hear tomorrow, sometime mid February and early/mid March with a few invites/rejections sprinkled here and there in between these periods.

Haha I too am a local graduate student...and to be honest I don't know if they reviewed my application or not. I have been constantly updating them with stuff, so maybe they never reviewed my whole file yet..which explains why I survived the first cycle of death!

I know Deborah knows my file and update things for me, but I don't know if it was reviewed by adcom or not.

Having my references submitted pretty late, I think I still haven't been reviewed yet.

Just curious, do you think there will be more rejections letters sent next Monday, along with acceptances? Did U of T send out all of the rejection letters from the first batch?

All the rejections from the first batch are out. Only invites will be sent out on Monday.

Archived