Premed 101 Forums

Hope Box for people with no e-mails yet

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The most shocking news for me was that UT does not look at the entire application for everyone. She said that for UNDERGRADS they look at the academic portion first (60%), meaning MCAT and the weighed GPA. The MCAT is just used as a flag, so scoring higher than a 9 does not increase your chances of getting in whatsoever. For the weighed GPA, she said a competitive GPA is around 3.8. If the MCAT and GPA are not competitive, then the rest of the application is not read (meaning your personal statement, autobio sketch, and 3 reference letters are not read at all). She said that of the 2700 applicants last year, only around 1600 applications were read completely. Also, if a section of the MCAT is below 9, then you GPA better be really really good. Thats the only way to bypass the MCAT cutoffs.

Heh. It's a bit strange... Deborah and Leslie give out some conflicting information, with Leslie being a lot more strict and conservative with her comments.

Deborah has emphasized many MANY times on her blog that "if you are below the MCAT cutoff in 1 section, you are fine and it doesn't really matter", and "we read all applications carefully before we send rejections". Yet Leslie seems to say that "if you are below the MCAT cutoff you better be a superstar", and "we don't look at the complete application for a lot of students before sending out the rejection".

By the way, in that quote, 1600 applications were read completely out of 2700. The difference between those numbers is... 1100. Isn't that the number of rejections that have been sent out already? Coincidence?? Haha, probably actually. Just a random observation, I don't think we should read into it that much. :P

why are u soo sure?

I believe the reasoning is that most (I am tempted to say all regular) undergraduate applications have been reviewed and decided upon. I'm guessing most of the ones left are those who didn't quite make the minimum requirements (such as 8 in VR), but still could be considered, and marked for later review.

The wait is excrutiating.

I believe the reasoning is that most (I am tempted to say all regular) undergraduate applications have been reviewed and decided upon. I'm guessing most of the ones left are those who didn't quite make the minimum requirements (such as 8 in VR), but still could be considered, and marked for later review.

The wait is excrutiating.

exactlyyyyyy

and i totally agree with the excruciating pain bit :(

exactlyyyyyy

and i totally agree with the excruciating pain bit :(

It's disgusting. I think, specifically, my UofT application has succeeded in pushing me down to a new level of being purely pathetic. I have these cycles/fits of hope and despair, and I find it literally impossible to "just forget" about it especially now because of the impending doom I sense...

It's disgusting. I think, specifically, my UofT application has succeeded in pushing me down to a new level of being purely pathetic. I have these cycles/fits of hope and despair, and I find it literally impossible to "just forget" about it especially now because of the impending doom I sense...

^ +1

10char

A comment posted on the UofT Blog and Deborah's response:

--------------------

M

Hi Deborah,

I have a couple of questions:

1) Did the grad review happen already for graduate students? Since it seems you sent out interviews for your last weekend..I am assuming that graduate applicants were reviewed and invites were sent.

2) is it safe to assume that half the dedicated number of invitation spots are now released?

Thanks,

M

on February 15, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Replyutmedadmissions

Hi M. Graduate review is this week. I don’t know how many of our interview spots have been taken. But this isn’t anything anyone needs to worry about. You either will get an invite or you won’t, right? We invite everyone whom we wish to meet. If we have to add capacity, we will. One of the benefits to not using MMI is a lot of flexibility in our process.

-----------------

Really, Deborah. Clearly, she knows not how to quell the anxiety of pre-meds!!!! Everyone here knows that it isn't that cut and dry. I know she means well and has to deal with a lot of anxious pre-meds hounding her every move, but still...

I mean everyone who has to yet to hear a response is clearly anxious about what their status is and it's kind of a big deal because this is about our future.

Grrr... I'm just frustrated. It's the not knowing...

A comment posted on the UofT Blog and Really, Deborah. Clearly, she knows not how to quell the anxiety of pre-meds!!!! Everyone here knows that it isn't that cut and dry. I know she means well and has to deal with a lot of anxious pre-meds hounding her every move, but still...

I mean everyone who has to yet to hear a response is clearly anxious about what their status is and it's kind of a big deal because this is about our future.

Grrr... I'm just frustrated. It's the not knowing...

I know exactly what you mean.

Actually, I get quite confused about the things that Deborah posts (and some contradictions involved).

The point that UofT isn't MMI, and therefore there is flexibility kind of confuses me, because I'm quite sure she mentioned that they plan to interview around 530 students, which doesn't sound too flexible to me.

And the point that how many interview spots are taken is unknown too... honestly, if it is true that they send out interviews on a chronological basis, and they've already sent interviews for end-Mar spots, then really, there are very few spots left.

And then there are the contradictions between what Leslie said and what Deborah said...

Its a tough wait but hang in there guys. Look at the bright side, your wait between your interview and May 5 will be shorter. You will feel less agony and pain from over-analyzing your interview performance because theres less time to think about it.

I think most of us just want to know if any of us undergraduate applicants are even getting interviews...

I know exactly what you mean.

Actually, I get quite confused about the things that Deborah posts (and some contradictions involved).

The point that UofT isn't MMI, and therefore there is flexibility kind of confuses me, because I'm quite sure she mentioned that they plan to interview around 530 students, which doesn't sound too flexible to me.

And the point that how many interview spots are taken is unknown too... honestly, if it is true that they send out interviews on a chronological basis, and they've already sent interviews for end-Mar spots, then really, there are very few spots left.

And then there are the contradictions between what Leslie said and what Deborah said...

I think it's fair to say this SUCKS!

I kind of have a theory of why they aren't sending rejections right now. Hear me out:

From what I understand, people who are not competitive are immediately rejected without even a file review. For those who do get a file review, they get some sort of numerical score assigned to them and it gets stored on a computer. As they decide who gets an interview, their cutoff score for the applicant pool fluctuates a bit. This is why they don't send out rejections right away because some people in that reject pile may actually get an interview if the cutoff score fluctuates enough. The reason they haven't sent out rejections yet is because they simply don't have enough data yet as all the files haven't been reviewed. If the grad file review day is the last big file review day, then once they input their scores, there will be a number of invites coming including undergrads whose score hits the cutoff after the grad student pool causes the cutoff score to fluctuate. At this point only the applicants who've been flagged are left. So they will review those applicants last. So I imagine there are two more waves of interviews left (grad students + undergrads and flagged applicants + undergrads). The rest will be dependent on how many people reschedule and what not.

What do you guys think? Make sense to me...

I think you're probably right. Which means that the undergraduate applicants interviewed from hereon needs to really stand out during their interviews to have chance at an acceptance. Which I welcome with open arms... still...

A friend of mine (in undergrad) just got an invite this evening.

Things are moving. Files are being reviewed.

Haha. My routine after these kind of posts:

- frantically goes off to check email

- while inbox is loading, realize that I checked my email an hour ago, which is already clearly after office hours

- inbox loads; and surprise surprise... no new emails.

I don't think it is valid for the remaining undergrads to make assumptions that we have been rejected. Based on the current number of invitations posted on premed101, there has to be quite a few spots left for the March dates. I bet the big rejection wave will be later this week, but I also bet that invitations will be sent intermittently throughout the week.

Right,

that makes complete sense. Sending invitations post-grad review can shift the interviewee/rejectee pool pretty easily. They say they are flexible, but they probably do not want to pass 600 and they are probably around 300 now (maybe more). So, the remaining 300 would be super undergrads, super grads and a competing/ranked mix of intermediate grads and undergrads. The individuals who form the intermediate pool is still in question and is causing the hold up. Is that it Deborah??. Stop playing with our minds.

I kind of have a theory of why they aren't sending rejections right now. Hear me out:

From what I understand, people who are not competitive are immediately rejected without even a file review. For those who do get a file review, they get some sort of numerical score assigned to them and it gets stored on a computer. As they decide who gets an interview, their cutoff score for the applicant pool fluctuates a bit. This is why they don't send out rejections right away because some people in that reject pile may actually get an interview if the cutoff score fluctuates enough. The reason they haven't sent out rejections yet is because they simply don't have enough data yet as all the files haven't been reviewed. If the grad file review day is the last big file review day, then once they input their scores, there will be a number of invites coming including undergrads whose score hits the cutoff after the grad student pool causes the cutoff score to fluctuate. At this point only the applicants who've been flagged are left. So they will review those applicants last. So I imagine there are two more waves of interviews left (grad students + undergrads and flagged applicants + undergrads). The rest will be dependent on how many people reschedule and what not.

Eeek, I just got more anxious reading through this thread!! Hang in there guys, hopefully we will know soon.

That random grad invite around 3pm today (check the invited/regrets thread) threw me off. Grad reviews happening this week...if it takes a day to do the review and a day to process, perhaps we'll hear back by the end of this week at the latest...March 5/6 need to be filled soon though, since the end of this week would mark the 2 week mark...I'm making myself nauseous thinking about it!

Right,

that makes complete sense. Sending invitations post-grad review can shift the interviewee/rejectee pool pretty easily. They say they are flexible, but they probably do not want to pass 600 and they are probably around 300 now (maybe more). So, the remaining 300 would be super undergrads, super grads and a competing/ranked mix of intermediate grads and undergrads. The individuals who form the intermediate pool is still in question and is causing the hold up. Is that it Deborah??. Stop playing with our minds.

I guess we need some jokes to ease the tension. This thread was meant to be a hope box. Alright, here is one -

"Hospitals noticed an increase in 4th year premeds and graduate student patients during February. They showed symptoms of anxiety, vomiting, cycles of motivation and depression. It seemed like the influx repeated annually. They called this phenomenon 'The Coombs'"

....What are you in for?...oh, I think I got 'The Coombs'.

I guess we need some jokes to ease the tension. This thread was meant to be a hope box. Alright, here is one -

"Hospitals noticed an increase in 4th year premeds and graduate student patients during February. They showed symptoms of anxiety, vomiting, cycles of motivation and depression. It seemed like the influx repeated annually. They called this phenomenon 'The Coombs'"

....What are you in for?...oh, I think I got 'The Coombs'.

ahahahahahahahaha

The treatment of "The Coombs" was later determined to be "The Leslie"

Right,

Hmmm. This is what I thought as well, and still hope for, that 30-40% of the projected interview spots are still open. But it seems like some people have already received interview invites for the late-March weekend, and Deborah had said on her Twitter or Blog that they do not skip interview dates (i.e. early-March weekend)... I kind of hope she's wrong.

Hmmm. This is what I thought as well, and still hope for, that 30-40% of the projected interview spots are still open. But it seems like some people have already received interview invites for the late-March weekend, and Deborah had said on her Twitter or Blog that they do not skip interview dates (i.e. early-March weekend)... I kind of hope she's wrong.

I don't think Deborah has a lot of information on the numbers aspect of the interviews for any cycle because I think that information is privy only to Leslie. Hence, the vague answers to every question about interviews.

Just read this on the blog in the comments section:

--------------

This grad review day is the last big day. We are nearing the end of our screening and review process, but not quite there yet.

--------------

I expect some form of communication next week for the majority of leftover applicants.

Just read this on the blog in the comments section:

--------------

This grad review day is the last big day. We are nearing the end of our screening and review process, but not quite there yet.

--------------

I expect some form of communication next week for the majority of leftover applicants.

:( Well that doesn't instill much hope...

However, I am going to agree with your stated hypothesis about how the system works and hope that this isn't the end for all us undergrads.

Better to remain positive everyone!!! ;)

Eeek, I just got more anxious reading through this thread!! Hang in there guys, hopefully we will know soon.

That random grad invite around 3pm today (check the invited/regrets thread) threw me off. Grad reviews happening this week...if it takes a day to do the review and a day to process, perhaps we'll hear back by the end of this week at the latest...March 5/6 need to be filled soon though, since the end of this week would mark the 2 week mark...I'm making myself nauseous thinking about it!

I am pretty sure that random invite was due to a reschedule from the earlier waves that got invites for March 26th weekend. He was probably scheduled to get an interview next anyways, so I doubt he was a result of the big grad review.

Archived