Premed 101 Forums

Hope Box for people with no e-mails yet

The issue isn't only that we are hearing late (UT is pretty clear that mid-march is entirely normal).

The problem is a potential decrease in our chances if we are hearing late...(eg the rejected:invite ratio of the non-informed applicant pool increases over time)... (after the 1100 slaughter). If all of you posters above had a rejection, that's supporting the exact reason why we are stressing...I don't care about when I find out nearly as much as I care what the decision is. Of course, this whole increase in reject:invite ratio is not confirmed at all, however based on the information at hand, it seems very possible!

That's not the case though. Deboarah has repeatedly stated that running out of interview spots is not an issue at all. They can always interview more people and if they want to meet you, then they will send you an invite.

See: http://utmedadmissions.wordpress.com/2011/02/04/the-interview/#comment-1292

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that I don't that the later your hear = worse chances...

But i really don't think that "we can interview how many people we like" and that there is no cap on the spots of interviewees is real...

there's a reason they have a goal number, and I'm sure that the try to abide to it as much as possible.

I agree that I don't that the later your hear = worse chances...

But i really don't think that "we can interview how many people we like" and that there is no cap on the spots of interviewees is real...

there's a reason they have a goal number, and I'm sure that the try to abide to it as much as possible.

Yeah I think so, but I think they're experienced enough to know what kind of stats/applications they need to interview to keep within the range. That's why the actual total # of interviewees fluctuates every year (but you see it's roughly around the same).

Has anyone actually gotten an invitation in early-mid March as a 4th year UG :\?

I did.

Guys, I don't want to get all paternalistic on you, but you can kill yourself analyzing stats pointlessly, without any change in admissions efficiency. I did that last year. All my friends had heard, and I didn't receive anything, figured I would be getting refused. Then I was one of the last people to get an interview (mid March for early April). Waitlisted, shortened waitlist, back up waitlist. Kept killing myself analyzing stats, what people said, who got accepted. It didn't change the fact that I had to wait, or that I was a stone's throw away from being accepted. I ended up not getting accepted, and soon realized that all that time I wasted agonizing over the process was silly.

Take it from me, it's just not worth it.

You are so right. Thanks for that post below. I actually woke up sick this morning after yesterday's ridiculously high level of stress. It's starting to get to a point where I've been obsessing over a process I can't control. I thought about it, and sitting at my computer refreshing my inbox won't bring a decision sooner. The process is frustrating and it's hard to let go, but you're absolutely right - it's silly to agonize over it. Thanks again for the enlightenment :-)

I did.

Guys, I don't want to get all pedantic on you, but you can kill yourself analyzing stats pointlessly, without any change in admissions efficiency. I did that last year. Then I was one of the last people to get an interview (mid March for early April). Waitlisted, shortened waitlist, back up waitlist. Kept killing myself analyzing stats, what people said, who got accepted. It didn't change the fact that I had to wait, or that I was a stone's throw away from being accepted. I ended up not getting accepted, and soon realized that all that time I wasted agonizing over the process was silly.

You are so right. Thanks for that post below. I actually woke up sick this morning after yesterday's ridiculously high level of stress. It's starting to get to a point where I've been obsessing over a process I can't control. I thought about it, and sitting at my computer refreshing my inbox won't bring a decision sooner. The process is frustrating and it's hard to let go, but you're absolutely right - it's silly to agonize over it. Thanks again for the enlightenment :-)

+1

10char

I did.

Guys, I don't want to get all paternalistic on you, but you can kill yourself analyzing stats pointlessly, without any change in admissions efficiency. I did that last year. All my friends had heard, and I didn't receive anything, figured I would be getting refused. Then I was one of the last people to get an interview (mid March for early April). Waitlisted, shortened waitlist, back up waitlist. Kept killing myself analyzing stats, what people said, who got accepted. It didn't change the fact that I had to wait, or that I was a stone's throw away from being accepted. I ended up not getting accepted, and soon realized that all that time I wasted agonizing over the process was silly.

^ +1

Well said...

I did.

Thanks for the input HBP! I think you have a very good point!:)

here are a couple posts from deborahs twitter that might be of interest to some.

Hi. All of the big undergrad review days have been completed, but we are still workign our way through some files...

I just sent a small set of refusal notifications & Leslie is working on some more interview scheduling. Things are moving along

here are a couple posts from deborahs twitter that might be of interest to some.

Hi. All of the big undergrad review days have been completed, but we are still workign our way through some files...

I just sent a small set of refusal notifications & Leslie is working on some more interview scheduling. Things are moving along

That's from yesterday...

Here's some more advice.

Subscribe to the Blog's RSS. That way, you don't have to go crazy refreshing and you will be notified of comments, posts, etc.

Get twitter to text message you Deb's updates.

And of course, use an email client so you have to stop refreshing your inbox.

Automation is key, my friends.

Here's some more advice.

Subscribe to the Blog's RSS. That way, you don't have to go crazy refreshing and you will be notified of comments, posts, etc.

Get twitter to text message you Deb's updates.

And of course, use an email client so you have to stop refreshing your inbox.

Automation is key, my friends.

Hahahaha! Yes, save the time you have to spend looking for the data, so you can maximize your time spent on data analysis. :eek:

Hey all,

First time posting here, but I certainly have been following it for some time. This is definitely a long wait from Toronto, but I guess I prefer a holistic evaluation that provides a more level playing field for all applicants. Regardless, any applicants at UofT want to play some tennis or squash to get some stress off our shoulders? Let me know! Best of luck to everyone, and hopefully we all get some answers (good or bad) in the near future. Take care.

Let's hope they have saved everything for tomorrow. Mass rejections + mass invites.

That's a very good point you raise about them releasing stuff tomorrow.

I think this time around it will be a mix of undergrads and grads tomorrow. And Deborah has already mentioned that there will be more notifications next week.

Archived