Premed 101 Forums

Hope Box for people with no e-mails yet

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a day...I think stressing out this much is toxic to my system lol.

I like being informed of when things are happening, but like the posters above mentioned, it's getting borderline traumatizing with these small waves, confusing timelines, and unanswered questions (i.e. what happened to the undergrads? Did the grad review day already happen now, given the rejections today? How many applicants are left for assessment?)

It is a confidential and time-consuming process too, which makes it even more difficult to be transparent.

All I know is that my day was shot, I'm just starting to shake off the stress and temporarily forget about the app for now...hope everyone else can ease off this evening as we have two more days to go this week!!

Indeed! I am actually estimating that there around 200-300 graduate students left ...and out of those lets say 250, approx 170 will be interviewed, and half of those will get in (85 which is roughly 33% of their class size in keeping with grad stats).

Albeit nothing is set on stone, and I am not a very happy trooper right now.

What is your basis for saying this? I am a grad applicant who has not heard anything at this point. If there is a grain of truth to this comment, then I am optimistic!

If only interview invites have been going out the last few weeks and there were no regrets (except for today), then given that they only interview ~500/3000 it's probably safe to assume most of the undergraduates left over are in the reject pile?:( :( :( :(

If only interview invites have been going out the last few weeks and there were no regrets (except for today), then given that they only interview ~500/3000 it's probably safe to assume most of the undergraduates left over are in the reject pile?:( :( :( :(

Are we in the reject pile? And if so, why, oh why, won't they send us the rejects already?

Are we in the reject pile? And if so, why, oh why, won't they send us the rejects already?

Guys, I know it is difficult to keep waiting but try to refrain from rumors/pessimism. If all undergrads from here on in were in a reject pile you guys would know already.

Check last year's thread. Undergrads will still hear positive news.

Crossing my fingers for you guys. Keep up the hope (it's hard, I know first hand). Not over until it's over.

I don't think you guys should worry.

I think we should trust what Deborah is telling us. I don't think no news means bad news.

I had my application in relatively late (November 1st was when my reference letters got delivered) and I received my response today.

Although U of T does make us go through all this pain by making us wait, I don't think the decisions would ever be different if we were to receive responses earlier or later.

:):):):) keep the hopes up!!!!

same here - fingers crossed!!

Thanks Premed101 Fam for the reassurance...it really sucks to go through this alone (no one in my grad dept applied to meds so it makes it tougher to communicate the stressfulness of the situation).

Hopefully the end of the week brings news for us (of the good sort lol)

Yep, I'm right there with you.... UofT is my last hope for this year as well :(

I mean I submitted my last reference in the last week of November. I suppose that should mean I can expect to be the last one(s) to be reviewed, right?

I also made the mistake of clearing my junk mail on the day they rejected 1100 ppl. Would anyone recommend that I should email them to see if I've already been rejected?

I would not send any emails asking if you have been rejected until they have said all rejections have been sent and you have not received a notification of interview invite or rejection.

I highly recommend you follow this advice.

Part of my reasoning is that, while a few have had the e-mails land in junk mail, chances are quite low that the same would have happened to you.

Also, it appears that late/early submission of references isn't really a guideline. All my references were in by mid-September. I am an undergrad, and I still have not heard back (and I have not cleared my junk mail).

Part of my reasoning is that, while a few have had the e-mails land in junk mail, chances are quite low that the same would have happened to you.

Also, it appears that late/early submission of references isn't really a guideline. All my references were in by mid-September. I am an undergrad, and I still have not heard back (and I have not cleared my junk mail).

Same here... had my app in a month before the deadline, all reference letters received by mid-september. Still haven't heard anything (undergrad applicant from non-toronto area)

Yup. I'm undergrad as well and my references were received by early October. Still haven't heard anything.

I stayed up all night for a test I had at 8 am. Was confident until 6 am. After that, I started to convince myself that I had forgotten everything I had learned...and...it worked. I have never done something like that before, but it probably had to do with convincing myself that I might get a rejection from Deborah. I BSed my way through the test without the least bit of confidence in what I was writing. I think I probably wrote down my typical search queries in there "Deborah Coombs twitter, UTMed admissions blog, premed 101..." The prof. will be like wtf. Maybe he will understand :confused:

I applied two years ago as 4th year undergrad and didn't hear back until the very last week of March or the first week of April (regrets) ... can't remember which it was but I do remember it was late and essentially all undergrads I knew had already received invites or rejections. They may send invites and rejections up till the very last interview weekend.

I applied two years ago as 4th year undergrad and didn't hear back until the very last week of March or the first week of April (regrets) ... can't remember which it was but I do remember it was late and essentially all undergrads I knew had already received invites or rejections. They may send invites and rejections up till the very last interview weekend.

Yeah. When I applied two years ago as a 4th year undergrad, I didn't get my rejection until early-mid March. I can't remember the date.

The issue isn't only that we are hearing late (UT is pretty clear that mid-march is entirely normal).

The problem is a potential decrease in our chances if we are hearing late...(eg the rejected:invite ratio of the non-informed applicant pool increases over time)... (after the 1100 slaughter). If all of you posters above had a rejection, that's supporting the exact reason why we are stressing...I don't care about when I find out nearly as much as I care what the decision is. Of course, this whole increase in reject:invite ratio is not confirmed at all, however based on the information at hand, it seems very possible!

Archived