Premed 101 Forums

Hope Box for people with no e-mails yet

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey - no problem!

From looking at it again, it appears people were getting invites around Feb 8 and 10, in addition to the dates mentioned before. It's a bit scattered but the relevant dates from last year are coming up.

Last year also had interviews in April so the timeline can be a bit off...if anything, I'd think this year would need to be a bit quicker (given that the last interview dates are end of March).

Hey bud,

If you can honestly go through that thread and find out more dates of when interviews went out, I would appreciate it a lot! And I imagine so to would a lot of other people!

NEW UPDATE on the UTMedAdmissions Twitter:

@UTMedAdmissions Hi Deborah ! So is this week the week of the big grad file review ? Thanks

@mistaneilio Hi. Yes the big grad review is this week. Then we have to process the feedback

Fingers crossed for all the grad students still waiting...hoping for good news in our inboxes. All the best!!

We will definitely hear something this week. There were a couple of random invites late last week - there has got to be more. I would say that Leslie and Deborah took the Valentine's day off and they will be back tomorrow or Wednesday to spread the news.

NEW UPDATE on the UTMedAdmissions Twitter:

@UTMedAdmissions Hi Deborah ! So is this week the week of the big grad file review ? Thanks

@mistaneilio Hi. Yes the big grad review is this week. Then we have to process the feedback

Fingers crossed for all the grad students still waiting...hoping for good news in our inboxes. All the best!!

Wait...what? What about Undergrads, have all rejections/interviews gone out? Because I know people who haven't received anything yet.

Wait...what? What about Undergrads, have all rejections/interviews gone out? Because I know people who haven't received anything yet.

They haven't. It's just the majority of undergrads have been reviewed and very few grads have received a review so now it's time to get the grad apps reviewed and finished with (along with the leftover undergrad files).

"big grad file review" = misnomer?

My understanding is that most grad applicants tend to be reviewed later in the process since their apps come later, but not that all the grad files are reviewed all at once (i.e. this week). They are spread out among all the "batches" but just more prevalent in later batches because of the timing at which they're recieved.

...am I right or wrong? Just don't want to perpetuate misinformation...

The majority of undergrads have been reviewed? So, should most undergrads expect a reply soon while grads might have to wait a bit longer?

They haven't. It's just the majority of undergrads have been reviewed and very few grads have received a review so now it's time to get the grad apps reviewed and finished with (along with the leftover undergrad files).

The majority of undergrads have been reviewed? So, should most undergrads expect a reply soon while grads might have to wait a bit longer?

Not necessarily. There have always been undergrads receiving interview invites well into March. No reason why this would change.

All I was saying is that so far proportionately more undergrads than grads have been reviewed, hence the need for the big grad file review day. Grad apps are submitted later and so tend to cluster in the later interview invites.

The only optimism I have is that they flagged my file for "later review" due to my MCAT score. I actually did send Leslie Taylor an e-mail, back in September, and she replied saying that it's possible I might go to review despite my score, but it would depend on the competitiveness of the applicant pool. The candidates that made the minimum requirements would be reviewed first, she said.

In the past, I wonder if students with sub-cutoff MCAT scores typically got replies later?

@baberuma101 I don't believe Mar 5-6 dates were skipped. We don't fill a day completely b4 moving to the next - that gives us flexibility

Oh oh...this msg+Not part of grad-pool+have not heard back = less optimistic me :/

So if I:

- completed my application not too late in the cycle (early-mid Oct)

- passed minimum requirements (GPA, mCAT)

- not part of the grad pool

- still haven't received any response

I'm pretty much waiting for a rejection?

To think I wasted 2 hours refrsehing my inbox on that 1100 rejection day...

So if I:

- completed my application not too late in the cycle (early-mid Oct)

- passed minimum requirements (GPA, mCAT)

- not part of the grad pool

- still haven't received any response

I'm pretty much waiting for a rejection?

To think I wasted 2 hours refrsehing my inbox on that 1100 rejection day...

I'm in the same boat as you... I guess with each passing day the chance that we've already been rejected increases.

Also, here is an informative post regarding the review process at U of T, from a few years back:

So I went to the presentation for UofT medical admission seminar with Leslie Taylor today and most of the information she covered is on the UT medical admissions FAQ. However, there were a few facts she mentioned that aren't in the FAQ and thought I would share it with everyone.

The most shocking news for me was that UT does not look at the entire application for everyone. She said that for UNDERGRADS they look at the academic portion first (60%), meaning MCAT and the weighed GPA. The MCAT is just used as a flag, so scoring higher than a 9 does not increase your chances of getting in whatsoever. For the weighed GPA, she said a competitive GPA is around 3.8. If the MCAT and GPA are not competitive, then the rest of the application is not read (meaning your personal statement, autobio sketch, and 3 reference letters are not read at all). She said that of the 2700 applicants last year, only around 1600 applications were read completely. Also, if a section of the MCAT is below 9, then you GPA better be really really good. Thats the only way to bypass the MCAT cutoffs.

For GRADUATES, basically all of your application will be reviewed in detail no matter what you MCAT and undergraduate GPA is. Also, she mentioned that there are no set criteria or cutoffs for grad applicants since each one is so different. So its based on the whole application.

Also the posted average entering GPA (which was 3.89 for 2008) consist of both the weighted and normal GPA. She explained that this was because some of the students that got in didn't qualify for the weighing system while some obvious got in with the weighted GPA. So the posted average bascially is the weighed GPA.

Thats all I can remember for now, the rest of the information is basically in the admission FAQs.

I hear you guys.....:(

And I want to ask Leslie, but I don't want to bother her and she would probably say, "not necessarily, we are still reviewing".

Me too. I wish they could send out the rejections as they make decisions on them like interviews.

I realize, I really do realize the time/effort required in sending rejections in smaller batches... but come on... can't they get some volunteers to send them once a day? I mean, I'm personally willing to volunteer until mid-March just to find out my own fate...

Me too. I wish they could send out the rejections as they make decisions on them like interviews.

I realize, I really do realize the time/effort required in sending rejections in smaller batches... but come on... can't they get some volunteers to send them once a day? I mean, I'm personally willing to volunteer until mid-March just to find out my own fate...

me tooooooooo...

by now i'm 99.9999999% sure i'm in the rejection pile but i just need to receive that damn email and get on with ma life

the agony.....:mad:

Archived