Premed 101 Forums

Hope Box for people with no e-mails yet

+1. I totally feel the same way you do!! I can't even bring myself to make a sandwich or leave my desk out of fear I'll get sent something that my BlackBerry would delay sending!!

I assure you all I'm not this lame in real life (i.e. life outside of med admissions)!!!

So..I do an experiment, come back and look a the thread with rejections. WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS TO US?~! WHY CAN'T THEY REJECT ALL THE GRADUATE STUDENTS THEY HATE ALREADY!?...WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY SMAALLL?!

sorry, I had to vent. This whole process is destroying my nerves, and I don't appreciate this "batch" rejection process. It leaves the remaining of us thinking positively when at any time we can be rejected.

/end rant

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@UTMedAdmissions Deborah L Coombs

@mavtech67 Hi. All of the big undergrad review days have been completed, but we are still workign our way through some files

Someone else posted this here too. but seriously what does that mean. Aren't still lots of undergrads out there waiting?

This makes me think that I did get a rejection email already in my spam folder and deleted it in the earlier days when I didn't freakishly check that folder as I do now...

As far as I've heard from friends and classmates, A LOT of undergrads still haven't heard yet...

how does 15% off shoes work? There has to be a lot of planning that goes in. I imagine a board meeting with all the head honchos of the company. They get a shoe check first to make sure that everyone is wearing a brand that the company sells. Then they talk for a bit and look at those profit charts with the arrows and lines. The new guy is sweating and thinks of what he/she should say. When the conversation turns his/her way...he/she says "urm...urm...*adjusts tie...how about we try some 25% off discounts". The room goes quiet. Are you serious?? 25%..do you know what you are talking about? Some old jerk then steals the credit for the idea by reducing the discount to 15%..uses the excuse "that way we still make a 10% profit on each sale" and acts all smug. They print a bunch of coupons, include them in some junk mail envelopes and go to take a sh*t. 95% of the coupons are lost to trash. 4% are unused and 1% go to the stores. Those stats are what I think medical school applicants are like..1% make it. I guess there is a golden number with respect to how many people/things make it. Anyways, I already got me some shoes. My feet will probably not grow anymore. I think I will have the same pair for the next few years at least.

I'm so confused... the invited/regrets thread shows that undergrad applicants were sent regret notifications today... so what are the rest of the undergrad empties waiting for? Gahhh...

it looked like they were grad students to me. Wait and see what the rest of the week brings. I still havent heard from them yet and I am an undergrad applicant with one flag.

LOL!! You're quite the comedian :-) this helped lighten up the mood today...I feel like everything is on hold up until I get notified. I'm actually physically exhausted from the stressing lmao. Need to go chill out for a bit before I attempt to do everything I was supposed to do 4 hours ago lol

how does 15% off shoes work? There has to be a lot of planning that goes in. I imagine a board meeting with all the head honchos of the company. They get a shoe check first to make sure that everyone is wearing a brand that the company sells. Then they talk for a bit and look at those profit charts with the arrows and lines. The new guy is sweating and thinks of what he/she should say. When the conversation turns his/her way...he/she says "urm...urm...*adjusts tie...how about we try some 25% off discounts". The room goes quiet. Are you serious?? 25%..do you know what you are talking about? Some old jerk then steals the credit for the idea by reducing the discount to 15%..uses the excuse "that way we still make a 10% profit on each sale" and acts all smug. They print a bunch of coupons, include them in some junk mail envelopes and go to take a sh*t. 95% of the coupons are lost to trash. 4% are unused and 1% go to the stores. Those stats are what I think medical school applicants are like..1% make it. I guess there is a golden number with respect to how many people/things make it. Anyways, I already got me some shoes. My feet will probably not grow anymore. I think I will have the same pair for the next few years at least.

it looked like they were grad students to me. Wait and see what the rest of the week brings. I still havent heard from them yet and I am an undergrad applicant with one flag.

Hmmmm... I think the last person that posted the stats was an undergrad applicant.

I hope my rejection didn't get lost somehow... it would be so sad to know that I stressed over this for so long if I was rejected a while back..

To continue the speculation...

26 rejections were posted when the first 1100 rejections went out

6 rejections have been posted so far, thus approx. 275 rejections may have gone out...(goodness, these boards only drive me more crazy)

Yay stats!!!

I would hope that Lupe could contribute since he is the stats genius here :P

The magic number I came up with was 140 interviews per weekend = 13 pre-med 101ers getting invites. Given that there are only 7-8 people who have posted rejection stats, I would imagine that only 70ish rejections have been sent today. But again, these numbers are even less accurate now because of 1100 rejections plus God knows how many interviews.

Eee...the small # today doesn't make sense to me and only confuses me a lot more...if the undergrads have already been assessed/decided upon, wouldn't the admissions committee have just waited to send a big batch of rejections rather than a small one (i.e. the people earlier today + the pile waiting)?

Maybe all of our ideas and predictions are off?

The magic number I came up with was 140 interviews per weekend = 13 pre-med 101ers getting invites. Given that there are only 7-8 people who have posted rejection stats, I would imagine that only 70ish rejections have been sent today. But again, these numbers are even less accurate now because of 1100 rejections plus God knows how many interviews.

Eee...the small # today doesn't make sense to me and only confuses me a lot more...if the undergrads have already been assessed/decided upon, wouldn't the admissions committee have just waited to send a big batch of rejections rather than a small one (i.e. the people earlier today + the pile waiting)?

Maybe all of our ideas and predictions are off?

I think it's fair to say this SUCKS!

I kind of have a theory of why they aren't sending rejections right now. Hear me out:

From what I understand, people who are not competitive are immediately rejected without even a file review. For those who do get a file review, they get some sort of numerical score assigned to them and it gets stored on a computer. As they decide who gets an interview, their cutoff score for the applicant pool fluctuates a bit. This is why they don't send out rejections right away because some people in that reject pile may actually get an interview if the cutoff score fluctuates enough. The reason they haven't sent out rejections yet is because they simply don't have enough data yet as all the files haven't been reviewed. If the grad file review day is the last big file review day, then once they input their scores, there will be a number of invites coming including undergrads whose score hits the cutoff after the grad student pool causes the cutoff score to fluctuate. At this point only the applicants who've been flagged are left. So they will review those applicants last. So I imagine there are two more waves of interviews left (grad students + undergrads and flagged applicants + undergrads). The rest will be dependent on how many people reschedule and what not.

What do you guys think? Make sense to me...

I don't think we're completely wrong. Remember the undergrads can still be invited to interview depending on how far the cutoff score fluctuates due to the grad applicants and the flagged undergrads. Also, Deborah did say it was a small batch of refusals so the number 70 isn't too far-fetched I think.

Objective thoughts?

I am so stressed out by this process. I was obsessively going back and forth between this site and my mailbox during my chem class, and the worst thing is I sit right in front of the prof >_<

Guess the only thing I could do now is to just tell myself that I've most likely been rejected, and just move on with life. :rolleyes:

Seriously..its 4:30, where are the rest of the results???. They reject 30-50 people/day now? Honestly I am almost at the point of me going there and asking them to STOP this psychological torture. It's like a game of Russian roulette...except bullets are rejection letters!!!

Their own twitter feed was beyond a bad idea...

If you want to be open with us, then be completely open. Don't half a** it. It just makes it worse!!!!

Their own twitter feed was beyond a bad idea...

If you want to be open with us, then be completely open. Don't half a** it. It just makes it worse!!!!

Haha! I know!!!

It's like they want to be open, but not too open, maybe a bit more open, wait, back up a little...

I don't understand why they're holding onto rejections. I'm guessing they have an undergrad batch that they're just refusing to send out...

Haha! I know!!!

It's like they want to be open, but not too open, maybe a bit more open, wait, back up a little...

I don't understand why they're holding onto rejections. I'm guessing they have an undergrad batch that they're just refusing to send out...

Indeed! I am actually estimating that there around 200-300 graduate students left ...and out of those lets say 250, approx 170 will be interviewed, and half of those will get in (85 which is roughly 33% of their class size in keeping with grad stats).

Albeit nothing is set on stone, and I am not a very happy trooper right now.

Archived