Premed 101 Forums

What laptop brand do you prefer and why?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to sell computers! haha Toshiba's almost never broke down, it was ridiculous. But it all depends on what you are looking for, Karma! Brand isn't good enough. Factors to consider:

• price range
  • operating system
  • size
  • weight
  • memory
  • processor
  • display
  • video
  • built-ins (dvd player/burner, blueray, etc.)
  • battery life
  • warrenty

There are so many different types of laptops out there. Don't sell yourself short. Do your research, and buy the best laptop for you.

Here is a website you should look at though which discusses the most reliable laptop brands: http://voyager8.blogspot.com/2010/04/most-reliable-laptop-brands-are.html

For typical brand name computers, I think I'd go for Asus. A less-known brand is Lenovo, I've heard very good things about them. And just a note on Dell, I had to get a power supply replaced a couple years ago and their customer service was a nightmare to work with, took me a few tries to convince them something was broken.

i have a couple macbooks an the older one is almost 3 years old, it still works great. macs are good if you want an easy to use, light, virus-immune computer with immediate access to people who can fix it if you live by a mac store.

on the other hand, macs are overpriced, lets be honest here...

to juxtapose service i guess, i spilled water on my power cable, walked into the apple store and said the cable stopped working and they gave me a new one, i don't think apple tends to care about repairing things so much (they just gave me a new iphone when i cracked my screen, and fixed my comp no questions asked like 4 other times) since their product is expensive and they just re-sell returned products refurbished (which prob still nets a profit over the initial cost of production and repair) and people actually buy the re-furbished product. If they have to fix anything, the parts are cheap and they already have repair people at the apple shop, who if you're nice too can fix things for you they shouldn't at their own discretion.

For typical brand name computers, I think I'd go for Asus. A less-known brand is Lenovo, I've heard very good things about them. And just a note on Dell, I had to get a power supply replaced a couple years ago and their customer service was a nightmare to work with, took me a few tries to convince them something was broken.

I have a white macbook and I've owned it for about 3.5 years now. Honesty I've never had any trouble with it. It hasn't froze once which is why I really love my Mac... I will never got back to windows...

Like said above, they may be overpriced when you look at the other laptops you can buy on the market but I think it's worth every dollar. The battery life is still lasting longer than many new laptops would.

The only problem I've had is the screen lighting has begun to decrease but you won't have that issue with the new macs I don't think...

My advice would be to buy something you feel comfortable with though.. If you love windows well buy a laptop with windows (I haven't had any so I can't comment on different brands).

Personally, I would suggest buying a mac. Very fast. Great battery life. Never freezes/crashes. Haven't had a virus on mine. Extremely durable.

to juxtapose service i guess, i spilled water on my power cable, walked into the apple store and said the cable stopped working and they gave me a new one, i don't think apple tends to care about repairing things so much (they just gave me a new iphone when i cracked my screen, and fixed my comp no questions asked like 4 other times) since their product is expensive and they just re-sell returned products refurbished (which prob still nets a profit over the initial cost of production and repair) and people actually buy the re-furbished product. If they have to fix anything, the parts are cheap and they already have repair people at the apple shop, who if you're nice too can fix things for you they shouldn't at their own discretion.

Yes, I'm not terribly computer savvy but i've always been under the impression that macs are overpriced for the hardware you get, so it's not a big deal for them to replace broken parts because even when they sell refurbished things they still get a fairly good price for it.

I used to be a PC... turned to the dark side about a year and a half ago and got a Macbook Pro. I have been using it like crazy (school, travelling etc) - no scratches, no crashes or any other complaints. Still looks and works like brand new. $1800 well spent...

My old Acer was a pain about 6 months into use. Mind you, if I was more computer savvy maybe I could have improved its performance. Or maybe I just wasn't lucky with it.

Mac all the way - for so many reasons.

- I got tired of have three different programs pop up whenever I put a dvd in my dell laptop (realplayer, dell media player, windows media player)

- I paid hundreds of dollars for an anti-virus subscription and my computer still got viruses on my dell (probably because of IE6's security issues)

- I had to download multiple programs to do basic things....codecs, pdf viewers. This isn't near as much of a problem with Mac.

- Mac operating systems are really streamlined - all of their programs work perfectly together. ie: iphoto, imovie, garageband, etc.

- They have a good warranty program in case anything does go wrong ( I've had my macbook pro for over a year and not single problem)

For me it comes down to the operating system - yes Macs are more expensive but they are by far a better computer.

I'm definitely a PC. I hate Mac. They are overpriced and have awful hardware. Don't even get me started on software compatibility...

For example, a Dell precision comes with a 500 GB hard drive, 8 GB RAM, 1 GB dedicated graphics, 1900x1260 display (awesome), and an i7-840 series processor for around 2 grand. The same thing in a Mac would cost....wait a minute, those options aren't even available with Mac!....I guess you could get the MacBook air for the same price as the Dell though. After all, a low resolution screen, no memory, an archaic processor and a missing CD slot sound awesome for 2 grand.

Archived