Premed 101 Forums

nhl playoffs

apache

You're right, they could have used more tear gas and/or live fire...

But honestly, if other fans are not getting out of the way and going home they are part of the problem and deserve to be painted with the same brush. I wasn't there so I may be uninformed, but judging from all the film people took with their phones there were a hell of a lot more people sitting back letting this happen compared to the number of people trying to stop it.

If Vancouverites were my children I would take away their hockey team permanently, teach them a little lesson in responsibility and self-control. This isn't the first time the city has reacted this way.

And Erk, if they should be deploying riot police in the second period in anticipation of this that should further prove that the city can not handle the team. If they make it to another game 7 it will happen again.

oh rebencer... take the team away because the city rioted?

no.

the nhl cares about only one thing... money. they make a lot of it off of vancouver. in fact, vancouver supports the nhl's weaker markets. taking the team away is a silly idea, even in a hypothetical sense.

how 'bout this... the police... arrest the people responsible. punish those that caused the damage, not the millions of fans in BC by taking a team away.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
oh rebencer... take the team away because the city rioted?

no.

the nhl cares about only one thing... money. they make a lot of it off of vancouver. in fact, vancouver supports the nhl's weaker markets. taking the team away is a silly idea, even in a hypothetical sense.

how 'bout this... the police... arrest the people responsible. punish those that caused the damage, not the millions of fans in BC by taking a team away.

I'm just saying this from a parent perspective, if I had a bunch of kids that loved a new playstation or whatever and one or two of them started misbehaving terribly because they weren't getting what they wanted that object of instigation would be removed.

From a business perspective you would hope vancouver goes to game 7 finals every year!

I'm just saying this from a parent perspective, if I had a bunch of kids that loved a new playstation or whatever and one or two of them started misbehaving terribly because they weren't getting what they wanted that object of instigation would be removed.

From a business perspective you would hope vancouver goes to game 7 finals every year!

The NHL definitely makes money off the canucks success, but so do the owners. I'm thinking just off of the playoff run francisco probably made about 30 million.

I hope they make it back next year, but it's going to be tough. In the last two years the core of that team has played over 200 hockey games and logged a lot of travel miles.

No rest for the wicked :D ! A-ooooo!

Rebencer out

Edit:

After seeing this:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/06/16/photos-riots-fire-destruction-after-vancouvers-loss/

I am going to say that there is a hell of a lot more than "a handful of individuals" that are responsible for these events and that you could justifiably remove the hockey team from the city at the expense of law abiding fans, even though everyone knows that isn't going to happen.

I don't know if anyone else caught the press conference this afternoon with the police & fire chiefs, but I thought it was pretty interesting. I was actually surprised that the fact that the "meet and greet" strategy was the wrong one to employ for this type of situation wasn't acknowledged. I wasn't expecting the police department to say that they were wrong, but I thought they would say that looking back they could have used a different strategy.

On a lighter note, here's a small story about the kissing picture that I'm sure you've all seen by now. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-hot-button/the-vancouver-riot-picture-everyones-talking-about/article2063781/

Rebencer out

Edit:

After seeing this:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/06/16/photos-riots-fire-destruction-after-vancouvers-loss/

I am going to say that there is a hell of a lot more than "a handful of individuals" that are responsible for these events and that you could justifiably remove the hockey team from the city at the expense of law abiding fans, even though everyone knows that isn't going to happen.

Nope, you couldn't. Even if let's say 1000 people committed crimes during the riots. Heck, let's go with 10000 people. That's still less than .3% of the population of BC at 3.5 million people (which I think is actually a million less than what stats canada has listed as the actual population). You're saying that .3% of the population committing crimes merits the removal of a team that impacts millions of people's happiness, the economy of a city and the strength of a league?

I know your probably just messing around, but that's just a terrible idea.

This has absolutely nothing to do with hockey, the NHL or even the Vancouver Canucks. This has to do with a group of morons that would have rioted either way. The city and the police should crack down... find the individuals that did this and hit them hard. The city has an obligation to protect its citizens, removing an NHL team would not accomplish that. If anything, it would piss even more people off.

I'd be disappointed if outdoor events in vancouver are scaled back and we go back to the no fun zone, but I'd say it's expected.

There were three groups of people last night in the downtown core: the people who set things on fire and broke windows, the people who egged them on, and the people who just stood there with their iPhones and BlackBerries taking photos and impeding police movement. I would really like to believe that only a small group of people belonged to the former two groups, but from all the videos I've seen and from watching the game at a friend's place downtown last night, that is very far from the truth. When mob mentality is the rule, higher-level thinking breaks down. That's what really pisses me off about this because the majority of people on the streets were, one way or another, adding fuel to the rioting.

There were three groups of people last night in the downtown core: the people who set things on fire and broke windows, the people who egged them on, and the people who just stood there with their iPhones and BlackBerries taking photos and impeding police movement. I would really like to believe that only a small group of people belonged to the former two groups, but from all the videos I've seen and from watching the game at a friend's place downtown last night, that is very far from the truth. When mob mentality is the rule, higher-level thinking breaks down. That's what really pisses me off about this because the majority of people on the streets were, one way or another, adding fuel to the rioting.

Many of the latter group of people are now submitting those photos of riot culprits to the authorities for identification and subsequent attempts at justice.

And that is why I always wear a mask when I go looting or rioting. In fact the only time I don't have one is when I am pillaging, I feel that wearing one takes away from the whole pillaging experience and I am a purest. I recall advice my grandfather gave me, you see he was from the old country, a strong old Viking man, he said "son, whenever you are taking something that isn't yours make sure everyone knows that it is you otherwise you just aren’t asserting your dominance over the conquered". Oh that has always stuck with me.

That's so beautifully put.

(Where's mav? He can still get his wish of buying muse a luongo jersey.. I heard they're pretty cheap now-a-days)

Rebencer out

Edit:

After seeing this:

I'm not usually this blunt, but you're an idiot. A near-billion dollar sports industry is not the same as "your kids and a playstation". You can't reasonably justify anything - so stop saying whatever pops into your head.

As for muse, I got lamp. Thomas came through - never had a single week game, gotta give the man props. Looks like no money changes hands after all. And that "cheap jersey line" was what I was saying to every Boston fan when I was at game 5. "Hey that's a nice jersey, but you shoulda waited a week or two, you coulda gotten it real cheap then".

As for the riots - the police have already stated that they've recognized several of the same people from the Olympic riots. These are the same idiots, and they would have rioted win or lose, and their anonymous comments have already suggested it had nothing to do with hockey, but rather some crap about "capitalism and consumerism" -> clowns. It's a shame what happened and how it makes a truly wonderful city look, but at least the people showing up to clean up the next day is a great way to atone.

on a side note, the kid who lit the cop cars on fire has been identified.

http://publicshamingeternus.wordpress.com/2011/06/17/nathan-kotylak-water-polo-all-star-lighting-police-car/

and here he is again... lighting a different fire.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150270608545141&set=o.218307958191810&type=1&theater

kid apparently got expelled from private school in pitt meadows for his actions.

also, his dad is the head of surgery at the hospital in ridge.

talk about messing your life up...

on a side note, the kid who lit the cop cars on fire has been identified.

http://publicshamingeternus.wordpress.com/2011/06/17/nathan-kotylak-water-polo-all-star-lighting-police-car/

and here he is again... lighting a different fire.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150270608545141&set=o.218307958191810&type=1&theater

kid apparently got expelled from private school in pitt meadows for his actions.

also, his dad is the head of surgery at the hospital in ridge.

talk about messing your life up...

On one hand I am glad that the public is helping in identifying these idiots. On the other hand I feel so sorry for the parents of this kid and mad at him for his stupid choice to embarrass himself, his family, his city and throw away his future.

Incredibly sad!

I'm not usually this blunt, but you're an idiot. A near-billion dollar sports industry is not the same as "your kids and a playstation". You can't reasonably justify anything - so stop saying whatever pops into your head.

First off, my comments are mostly in jest, so relax, your wonderful city can keep their hairball of a hockey team. But in all honesty, people of your city started rioting because they got too excited and couldn't control themselves over a hockey game, which I think is a pretty good analogy to kids misbehaving because they can't handle the excitement of some new toy or disneyland or anything that should be awesome and turns out too much for (a small percentage of) them to handle.

For the record, I'm impressed with the way Vancouver is trying to round up these retards, I hope we see the justice system pull through.

First off, my comments are mostly in jest, so relax, your wonderful city can keep their hairball of a hockey team. But in all honesty, people of your city started rioting because they got too excited and couldn't control themselves over a hockey game, which I think is a pretty good analogy to kids misbehaving because they can't handle the excitement of some new toy or disneyland or anything that should be awesome and turns out too much for (a small percentage of) them to handle.

For the record, I'm impressed with the way Vancouver is trying to round up these retards, I hope we see the justice system pull through.

Well, I'm not going to touch upon the various issues I have with this post... But I will say this.

The justice system will do next to nothing. Having worked with it first hand for the last 3 years I can say that with reasonable certainty.

I completely disagree with the kid analogy, but whatever.

Are you from BC? I was at the game. The hockey game gave an opportunity to riot, but the hockey game was not the cause of the riot. Actually, 99% of the crowd at the game was extremely classy. At the end of the game, we cheered the Canucks, clapped for the Bruins, and cheered for Thomas.

Are you from BC? I was at the game. The hockey game gave an opportunity to riot, but the hockey game was not the cause of the riot. Actually, 99% of the crowd at the game was extremely classy. At the end of the game, we cheered the Canucks, clapped for the Bruins, and cheered for Thomas.
This came across on the TV broadcast as well. I though it was classy of the Canuck fans to cheer for Chara when he got the cup, Thomas, and Lucic (but that was partially a local boy thing).

Then again, the composition of the crowd inside the rink was much different that the crowd in the street.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived