Premed 101 Forums

nhl playoffs

apache

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
scaled.php?tn=0&server=737&filename=b4aj.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Bruins fan jumped and assaulted.

They've also broken into a bank. There has also been a casualty.

another guy apparently fell from the georgia viaduct into the area in front of rogers arena and is in serious condition.

another guy stabbed in the neck was just admitted to the hospital.

the canucks went out with a whimper... but the city is going down with a bang.

Apparently Vancouver should have tried to do what Edmonton did on Whyte Ave during the '06 Cup Run- keep the streets open to vehicle traffic and arrest anyone that stepped off the sidewalk that wasn't crossing at a designated crossing area (lots were arrested during the Finals especially, but very few were charged. Usually just detained for a few hours). Definitely a little extreme, but it's easier to control a crowd that doesn't take up an entire street. Also, to my recollection, no one died from any rioting....

Vancouver was out-goalied for the most part in the series. Luongo choked when it mattered and no one stepped up enough to cover his ass when he did (with enough offensive production, it may not have mattered that he let in 3 or 4). I think that's the biggest reason they ended up losing. That and the hit on Horton in game 3 lit a fire under Boston. I'd say that was the turning point (whether it was a dirty hit or not, Boston was "knocked" back into the series because of it).

Next up: draft day! :D I wonder who the Oil will draft this year....... It's time to add another letter to HOPE ;)

I thought the police we're extreme back in 06 but at least it didn't escalate to this!

Vancouver's now made the NY Times and even Al-Jazeera... Al-Ja-****ing-Zeera, epic...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/16/sports/vancouver-fans-take-to-the-streets-after-loss.html?_r=1&hp

http://english.aljazeera.net/sport/americansport/2011/06/201161654238725.html

Apparently Vancouver should have tried to do what Edmonton did on Whyte Ave during the '06 Cup Run- keep the streets open to vehicle traffic and arrest anyone that stepped off the sidewalk that wasn't crossing at a designated crossing area (lots were arrested during the Finals especially, but very few were charged. Usually just detained for a few hours). Definitely a little extreme, but it's easier to control a crowd that doesn't take up an entire street. Also, to my recollection, no one died from any rioting....

Boston was the harder-working team, plain and simple, Boston blocked shots, hit hard, went into the corners for pucks, played the neutral zone better, plus better goaltending. When you get outscored 23-8 I think it's more than bad refing and good goaltending!

As my friend has said, there are two reasons Boston won: Tim Thomas, and bad reffing.

As my friend has said, there are two reasons Boston won: Tim Thomas, and bad reffing.

Gotta love how others make excuses for how someone or a team lost. How about this: vancouver played like an OHL team?

Vancouver didnt want it enough and you can easily see that by watching the board play. boston controlled the boards in pretty much every game. In simple terms, Boston worked harder.

Wow, the Vancouver riot actually makes Philly fans classy by comparison. Absolutely disgraceful.

Riots are caused by opportunists, not true fans. Same in Montreal, same everywhere else. Losing/winning just gives them a good "excuse" to destroy everything.

Vancouver looked like crap in this series.. I'm certainly biased, but the first round against Montreal remains my favourite Bruins' series this year, the most closely (for me) disputed, the best goaltending duel.

Gotta love how others make excuses for how someone or a team lost. How about this: vancouver played like an OHL team?

Vancouver didnt want it enough and you can easily see that by watching the board play. boston controlled the boards in pretty much every game. In simple terms, Boston worked harder.

That's a bit disingenuous too. I'd list the reasons Vancouver lost as a lot of small things that added up to a fantastic team becoming dragged down and pathetic.

-lots of minor but game-altering injuries in key players (kesler and malhotra in particular)

-two key players off the ice by game 7 (as opposed to boston's one, as far as I know)

-one backup player to a key player off the ice as well so that the remaining offensive line was often running defense since the defensive line was so badly shot out

-incompetent coaching: it's well known Lou is inconsistent, so don't keep playing him if he's playing poorly. [Note that while this could have massively changed the flow of the game, it's not the only thing that could have. The blame doesn't lie squarely at the feet of the goaltender and related decisions.]

-game that relies heavily on icework, opposing team with unusual ice (fair's fair, but it's a factor)

These are all totally fair reasons to lose the game; I'm not saying Boston cheated or anything. However, it's not that the Canucks didn't "want" the cup. They were beaten by attrition and some really bad judgment calls.

Vancouver looked like crap in this series.. I'm certainly biased, but the first round against Montreal remains my favourite Bruins' series this year, the most closely (for me) disputed, the best goaltending duel.

That really was a fantastic series

Fair points you make.

The point i was getting across: no one was to blame other than the team that lost. To blame officiating is the biggest bull excuse every invented born. Game 8 of the 72 Series with the Russians is a perfect example of that. Officiating against the Canadians was HORRID in that game yet they still overcame amd won.

If you want something you fight and go get it. Winners stand up and take blame. Cowards make excuses. I bet no one on Vancouver's team is placing blame on anyone other than themselves and thats the way it should be.

That's a bit disingenuous too. I'd list the reasons Vancouver lost as a lot of small things that added up to a fantastic team becoming dragged down and pathetic.

-lots of minor but game-altering injuries in key players (kesler and malhotra in particular)

-two key players off the ice by game 7 (as opposed to boston's one, as far as I know)

-one backup player to a key player off the ice as well so that the remaining offensive line was often running defense since the defensive line was so badly shot out

-incompetent coaching: it's well known Lou is inconsistent, so don't keep playing him if he's playing poorly. [Note that while this could have massively changed the flow of the game, it's not the only thing that could have. The blame doesn't lie squarely at the feet of the goaltender and related decisions.]

-game that relies heavily on icework, opposing team with unusual ice (fair's fair, but it's a factor)

These are all totally fair reasons to lose the game; I'm not saying Boston cheated or anything. However, it's not that the Canucks didn't "want" the cup. They were beaten by attrition and some really bad judgment calls.

I bet no one on Vancouver's team is placing blame on anyone other than themselves and thats the way it should be.

When asked what injuries he or Daniel might have been fighting to harm their performance, Henrik Sedin replied "Scoring slump".

Heh.

The Americans are loving it: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosenblog/chi-canucks-fans-as-stupid-as-canucks-team-20110616,0,407887.column

"you have to feel good that the dirty and stupid hockey team choked away its best chance at the franchise’s first Stanley Cup in a manner almost as excruciating and embarrassing as a hater like me could script."

The Americans are loving it: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosenblog/chi-canucks-fans-as-stupid-as-canucks-team-20110616,0,407887.column

"you have to feel good that the dirty and stupid hockey team choked away its best chance at the franchise’s first Stanley Cup in a manner almost as excruciating and embarrassing as a hater like me could script."

Wow, that's a pretty ugly article. It amazes me what kind of vitriol some people carry.

Woo Boston! Huge cheer in the crowd that I watched the game with when they showed Kelly with the cup.

As for the post-game events in Vancouver, I feel bad that the fans are now painted with the same brush as the rioters. But I think the city/police could have handled it much better than they did.

I think the city/police could have handled it much better than they did.

Couldn't agree more with this one. They should have been quietly deployed by the end of second period, when it was clear there was not going to be a Vancouver victory. Instead they tried to react, and found they couldn't get to the scene in time. Exactly the same thing happened in '94. I have no idea why they didn't learn from that, and do what they basically did in the Olympics. Kinda pathetic.

Now our entire country has a black mark to deal with, and the majority of the fans of the Canucks who took the loss gracefully are completely shamed by these few bits of discarded wet toilet paper that call themselves humans.

Woo Boston! Huge cheer in the crowd that I watched the game with when they showed Kelly with the cup.

As for the post-game events in Vancouver, I feel bad that the fans are now painted with the same brush as the rioters. But I think the city/police could have handled it much better than they did.

You're right, they could have used more tear gas and/or live fire...

But honestly, if other fans are not getting out of the way and going home they are part of the problem and deserve to be painted with the same brush. I wasn't there so I may be uninformed, but judging from all the film people took with their phones there were a hell of a lot more people sitting back letting this happen compared to the number of people trying to stop it.

If Vancouverites were my children I would take away their hockey team permanently, teach them a little lesson in responsibility and self-control. This isn't the first time the city has reacted this way.

And Erk, if they should be deploying riot police in the second period in anticipation of this that should further prove that the city can not handle the team. If they make it to another game 7 it will happen again.

Archived