Premed 101 Forums

Admission Decisions out on SOLUS!!!!!

I have to agree to some extent with Paradocs viewpoint on Queen's lack of acknowledgement. One would hope that a medical school should promote the same philosophy and traits that are embedded in good clinical practice. To endorse professionalism as an important aspect of medicine, the school should also act professionally.

If a physician made a clinical error, even if it were not life-threatening, and the patient was aware of that error, it would seem remiss, perhaps arrogant for the physician not to admit the mistake. Nonetheless, I understand Queen's dilemma and I think that the school will eventually send an acknowledgement, but perhaps when the process is complete.

Do medical schools select the people who will become the best physicians? Probably not, but it is an almost impossible task. Certain things I do find extremely hypocritical, however. For example, our entire medical system is based on the priniciple of equal access for all citizens. Why are medical schools then so biased in the way they accept applicants???? Why is it 3x harder to get into medicine if you were born in Ontario? And a lot easier if you happened to be born in some small mining town with a population of less than 10,000 people?

In my opinion, if equal access irrespective of economic status or background is the goal of our system, then equal access to medical education should also be a part of it.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well vertigo to answer your question its quite simple. Its a numbers game, the GTA by itself has more than enough qualified applicants to fill all of the seats in Ontario (qualified not the best) but those people are more likely to want to stay in the GTA and practise there.

A mediocre doctor who loves to practise in Saskatchewan will do more good for the community than a mediocre doctor who is forced to practise there because there are no jobs in the GTA, etc. I totally understand what you're saying and I do agree that its really unfair when people keep going on about "equal opportunity" but it really isn't feasible in this case.

I also think that Queen's will send out a formal apology to every interviewee, however i think that it would be much more appropriate to send it once the invites have been officially released rather than in a hodgepodge manner when decisions are right around the corner.

....what's a combo breaker?

it's from a game... i think killer instinct?

when someone was trying to get you with a combo- punch, kick, punch... you would mash the buttons and hope for a combo breaker.

in the internetz a combo breaker is someone who breaks up a large number of posts that are of a similar nature or something of the like...

like- let's count to 600... one post at a time. 1, 2, 3, 4, combo breaker!!!!!, :( 5

i'd post the link, but i find that i learn more when i explain it to others.

it's from a game... i think killer instinct?

when someone was trying to get you with a combo- punch, kick, punch... you would mash the buttons and hope for a combo breaker.

in the internetz a combo breaker is someone who breaks up a large number of posts that are of a similar nature or something of the like...

like- let's count to 600... one post at a time. 1, 2, 3, 4, combo breaker!!!!!, :( 5

i'd post the link, but i find that i learn more when i explain it to others.

Yeah, it is Killer Instinct.

For Blue: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/combo-breaker

Archived