Premed 101 Forums

What the hell should I do? No undergrad research opportunities!

Tamara

I am doing neuroscience at SFU and as far as I know, there are absolutely NO undergrad research opportunities for kinesiology/psych/neuroscience students here at SFU. I have a really high GPA and I could be doing summer research right now if I were a physics or math major; but I chose neuroscience and now I don't know what the hell to do! There are many opportunities at UBC but they are for UBC students only! Do I have to do co-op to get research experience?

Anyone studying the same or a related field at SFU?( i.e. psych, kinesiology)

I need some advice:( :( :( :(

Co-op would be a good way of obtaining research experience.

The other option would be LOTS of networking in order to finally meet a prof who would have a short term research project for you.

UBC doesn't consider UBC students only. There is actually quite a few neuroscience labs at UBC. Have you contacted the PIs yet??

I wouldn't get too worked up about this as I'm sure you'll be able to find something. My suggestion would be to start by volunteering in a lab either at SFU, UBC, or some other research institute/hospital in Vancouver. If you say you are a neurosci student who is interested in what they do and you are looking to gain research experience than most probably wont ask you where you go to school. I think most places would be happy to show you a few things and this would be a good way to see if you like it before actually jumping in with both feet.

Research is great if you find an interesting lab with good people. That being said, I really suggest volunteering as research isn't for everyone so committing to a significant amount of time(ie a full summer) could turn out to be an unpleasent experience.

I am doing neuroscience at SFU and as far as I know, there are absolutely NO undergrad research opportunities for kinesiology/psych/neuroscience students here at SFU. I have a really high GPA and I could be doing summer research right now if I were a physics or math major; but I chose neuroscience and now I don't know what the hell to do! There are many opportunities at UBC but they are for UBC students only! Do I have to do co-op to get research experience?

Anyone studying the same or a related field at SFU?( i.e. psych, kinesiology)

I need some advice:( :( :( :(

wow that seems strange? What would there be no research opportunities there?

I think their are plenty of research opportunities at SFU, but the majority are in MBB or Kinesiology. Have you tried going over the lab pages or profiles of every prof on the faculty list in the faculties you've looked at and communicated with them. I found that most of the professors are looking to supervise students in research directed courses like BISC 398 or something like that. Volunteer opportunities in a lab might be scarce though.

You said "as far as you know" there are no opportunities. But did you actually look? Do a bit of research on what type of research different profs are doing and find some things that interest you. Then approach the prof and ask if they have room in their lab for a volunteer. I highly doubt that there are NO opportunities to do research in your field of interest.

Have you really looked around?

All I had to do was type in "neurology research at SFU" into google and, after some searching, I found this:

https://aisg.sfu.ca/Research%20Interests/RISearch.aspx?SEARCH_TYPE=Words

Type in neuroscience, or anything else that might interest you.

There are a couple of researchers who are involved in neuroscience at SFU that I found after using the search engine. One is in biological sciences, another in microbi, another in psychology, etc.

You need to email these professors and ask them if there is a spot available in their lab, just like TOK mentioned. And, if they tell you they don't have a spot, ask if they know of anyone else you may contact.

Finding research opportunities often takes research on your own part.

Good luck.

Also, mods, shouldn't this be in the "research" forum? ;)

Thanks everyone for answering my question. But actually I have looked up opportunities at SFU and all research opportunities in psychology or kinesiology are available to graduate students.:(

I cannot do research in biology or MBB because they require prerequisite courses in the biology stream and I am a neuroscience major.

That is why I am so dissapointed.:( But maybe I'll email some profs to see if they need volunteers and then go from there...:(

Again thanks to all, your posts were helpful.

Thanks everyone for answering my question. But actually I have looked up opportunities at SFU and all research opportunities in psychology or kinesiology are available to graduate students.

I cannot do research in biology or MBB because they require prerequisite courses in the biology stream and I am a neuroscience major.

That is why I am so dissapointed. But maybe I'll email some profs to see if they need volunteers and then go from there...

Hey I would definitely recommend that you to look for a Research Opportunity for Neuroscience at UBC. Their Brain Research Center is very renowned ^^ Tough though, but definitely worth the extra effort!

Thanks everyone for answering my question. But actually I have looked up opportunities at SFU and all research opportunities in psychology or kinesiology are available to graduate students.:(

That is why I am so dissapointed.:( But maybe I'll email some profs to see if they need volunteers and then go from there...:(

Really? You need to have certain prereqs to do research in the summer? I would definitely email individual profs and see what they think, at my university many research positions are filled this way. Just DO NOT send out the identical bland email to every prof., make sure you read a bit about their research and make the email tailored to the prof you are contacting. You will be much more successful this way.

For next year you should think about applying for an NSERC. I doubt that you could find a professor that would turn down a student with an NSERC.

Archived