Premed 101 Forums

Gym vs This Forum

bored

This forum is like a gym. Trying to work out with all these ripped guys (high achievers and overconfident people) makes one want to just give up.

Was this forum ways like this?

Interesting analogy.

I know, it's hard. But, the way I see it, you can go one of two ways. Either, you feel discouraged because your competition is facing you and you feel like it's too much. Or, you become motivated to work even harder.

I think I understand how you feel. When I started university my bf was getting these ridiculously high marks and I didn't even touch them. And I really did feel discouraged, and that I could never "catch up."

But, as time went on, I realized that the more I focused on him, the less I was bettering my self. But, by working with him, and not against him, we could both do well.

Just when you're at the gym. You see someone working out super hard and they have their technique down. Being scared off won't do you any good. But watching their technique, seeing how determined they are, and learning from that can help.

Oh, and if in doubt (and if he is willing), I would consult Para for motivation. I wish he was my "personal trainer."

To add to what Cerena has said, this is a self help forum where there are so many willing to give of their knowledge and advice to help others. This is the main purpose of the forum. So, don't be discouraged, rather use the forum as a potentially important resource that may help you to solve problems and make you a better candidate.

In the end, the most important thing is not how others do, but how you do. Yes sometimes it might feel overwhelming or discouraging here, but like Cerena and John both already said, there's also a wealth of information and cues that can help you become what you want. The more you focus on yourself and on how to better yourself, the better and the happier you'll be.

This forum is like a gym. Trying to work out with all these ripped guys (high achievers and overconfident people) makes one want to just give up.

Be weak

Go to gym to get strong

See strong people at gym

Give up.

Nice attitude bro

You can only control yourself and what you do. Others may be smarter but smarts, like talent in sports, only goes as far as drive and determination will allow you to go.

I've seen some of the most talented and genetically gifted athletes in my days go on to do FA in a sport because they relied on talent alone whereas i've seen subpar talent amd genetically gifted athletes go on to great things because their drive and determination forced them into success.

Be better more determined and you'll be just fine.

just take it slow, start out with easier courses, maybe only four courses, don't volunteer or do anything right away. very few people get ripped at the gym over night, it's a gradual process and if you don't take it easy and take time to watch what's going on around you at the gym and take on too much you have a high probability of injuring yourself. you have the build up your management skills, ability to multi-task as well as numerous other skills. you can also throw yourself into the fire, but that's more of a gamble :)

I totally get what you're saying OP! Sometimes I feel like I'm the fat chick in the premed gym complete with people staring and thinking "omg! Wth is SHE doing here:mad:"....

Actually.... I feel like that irl too :o

First of all, there's no place for such negativity here...don't you know all pm101ers are awesome by default?

The only way I can think of that pm101 isn't like the gym is that I can't seem to drag myself to the gym every few hours.

Agreed :(

Although my fingers get a lot of exercise thanks to all the typing :rolleyes:

It's okay. Not everyone works out at the gym and still manage to be super fit and jacked. Also - there is always a chance for the hard working underdog, just like the people who start off as "fatties" in the gym but they work at it for months and months and look/perform amazing in the end. :P

I dig this analogy!

In the gym, when I showed up as a total newbie, the most helpful people were also the ones who were the most fit, confident, and competent. The losers who rolled their eyes at my ten pound dumbells were always the insecure meatheads who had giant biceps and tiny chicken legs.

Similarly, on this forum the best people seem to be successful in anything they do, but will still take the time to give advice to anyone who asks. The ones who are terrified of failure usually act out and have terrible attitudes.

ok i thought i should point this out...the analogy is interesting and fun...but OP, if it depresses you, then drop it...why add worry and make yourself think that you're surrounded by over achievers...as others have mentioned before, look at it as another tool to further your success and maybe help others along the way:)

I dig this analogy!

In the gym, when I showed up as a total newbie, the most helpful people were also the ones who were the most fit, confident, and competent. The losers who rolled their eyes at my ten pound dumbells were always the insecure meatheads who had giant biceps and tiny chicken legs.

Similarly, on this forum the best people seem to be successful in anything they do, but will still take the time to give advice to anyone who asks. The ones who are terrified of failure usually act out and have terrible attitudes.

Well put. I totally agree.

OP: great analogy

As a long-time member I'm actually kind of offended by the bolded comment... Like others have mentioned, maybe you have the wrong attitude? The posters here aren't meant to compete with you. In fact, I bet you learned a lot from this forum. And if you WERE referring to learning a lot form this forum, then yes, these forums have always been helpful to all who seek information. If there is a member who is harassing you or making you feel this way, then you should report that individual.

Good luck,

bj89

I totally get what you're saying OP! Sometimes I feel like I'm the fat chick in the premed gym complete with people staring and thinking "omg! Wth is SHE doing here:mad:".... :o

Actually.... I feel like that irl too :o

dammit cnb, you stole my line!

Now i'll just be the 'fat chick' in the med gym ;) I will still go and sweat it out with the rest of 'em and push myself to my limits and the rest of ya be damned. I think that's the most important thing to do--set personal goals and keep achieving them!

As a long-time member I'm actually kind of offended by the bolded comment... Like others have mentioned, maybe you have the wrong attitude? The posters here aren't meant to compete with you. In fact, I bet you learned a lot from this forum. And if you WERE referring to learning a lot form this forum, then yes, these forums have always been helpful to all who seek information. If there is a member who is harassing you or making you feel this way, then you should report that individual.

Good luck,

bj89

Agreed - there are a lot of people here who consistently post and offer services, write FAQs, and take the time to answer questions. Mods are very active and help keep law and order ;) A lot of valuable discussions have been started by individuals, and we have a wealth of knowledge thanks to them over the years. I understand that the process is rather competitive, but I think everyone is really just trying to find their own path in this mess of a system...I know I am.

I will still go and sweat it out with the rest of 'em and push myself to my limits and the rest of ya be damned. I think that's the most important thing to do--set personal goals and keep achieving them!

Well said - and you are proof positive of setting personal goals and achievement your dream! :)

Archived