Premed 101 Forums

Why do you want to be a doctor?

EoE

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah... it could be that or,

Finish highschool in 3 years (17 yrs old)

Finish undergrad in 3 years (20 yrs old)

Get in right away to a 3 year school (finish at 23 yrs old)

CCFP residency get paid 50g to 60g (finish at 25 yrs old)

Start work right away and earning $100k upwards at 25 years old?

But generally, it seems like you have the wrong motives to begin with. You don't become a physician to earn lots of money or to live a comfortable life.

You become one because you enjoy doing what you do as a physician and that enjoyment comes with some perks including a relatively high salary

No offence but that $100k/year means nothing if you want to be rich. It saddens me that you people think becoming a doctor will make you "rich". Even making $300/year still doesn't make rich. I garuntee if all of you who spend all of your time that you study into a business instead, you might be making more money if you become successful after a couple of years.

For example, a friend of mine whose parents saved up money working at a factory for 4-5 years invested in properties (hotels/motels/gas stations/ restaurants/condos) over the course of 15 years. Today they have several hotel chains across Ontario and their son drives his Ferrari 458 italia everyday to university (he sometimes gives me a ride to work). But I hope you get my point, becoming a doctor for money is stupid. Just look at the CEO of DirecTV, he graduated with an Arts degree and makes more than the most successful doctor in Canada.

yeah... it could be that or,

Finish highschool in 3 years (17 yrs old)

Finish undergrad in 3 years (20 yrs old)

Get in right away to a 3 year school (finish at 23 yrs old)

CCFP residency get paid 50g to 60g (finish at 25 yrs old)

Start work right away and earning $100k upwards at 25 years old?

But generally, it seems like you have the wrong motives to begin with. You don't become a physician to earn lots of money or to live a comfortable life.

You become one because you enjoy doing what you do as a physician and that enjoyment comes with some perks including a relatively high salary

cue eff tea (a drink with jam and bread).

im not a genius

i just learned to work with having no, period, no, short term memory

i work harder than you because i was forced into a situation with someone with multiple personality disorder where some of the personalities let me know as soon as i left the individual they would make the girl kill herself... even if you read the official apa neurobio 1500 page bible there's mention of mpd, even a subtype where there are demon entities... so if that paradigm recognizes this, im sure to say that most people just medicate personality splitting patients to death before anything is ever procured, plus some of those personalities try and stab you and the like... not clean cut doctor stuff

in fact, im so insanely dedicated to changing mental health on a wide scale that some would describe me as downright masochistic, as well as sociopathic towards predatory individuals who prey on the helpless... i mean no malevolance, but i have no sympathy for people who engage in such atrocious and life destroying behavior

if u decide well, this guys too smart fr us... and try and and play dirty with me or get in the way of my goals i dont have to outsmart you, i don't care whether i outsmart someone or whether even knows about what i've done... i'm just as happy using blackmail, bringing recorders to meetings...

so many people are victims of these actions and feel bad for comming back for more maliciously, when the end point is preventing a horrid act... so ethically, is blackmail ok if it prevents murder... first answer is it's wrong, second answer is you've allowed murder... black and white thinking, rampant, because everything is good or bad, objectionable, after all, if it weren't, how would that md justify your high salary, salary might suddenly be based on merit, rather than title...

and if you'd like me to send you some pictures of slit throats id be glad too... i actually posted copies of most of the stuff people here thought i was bs'ing about, so no, im not lying about anything

imagine... hearing about people describe how their parents raped them is fun **** too... oops, this is disturbing, and not in the clinical algorithm... just diagnose bipolar, in everything but extreme cases it's the most thrown around non-invalidatable diagnoses in psych

imagine a two hour walk with someone you watched degenerate slowly... and a resident makes a sloppy mistake, suicide...

and you know what, i consider myself to know nothing, despite the fact that my knowledge base is venerable... and i can use it too, there's a reason the top psych program wanted me after only first year, i know it's a violation, but honestly, this happens all the time... usually in carms though, not after answering 148/150 q's correctly,

non-factual ones, as in explain for two minutes this that and everything, hey residents don't know, no one knows, wtf, might as well... stuff like what would be the next approach, what have you noticed in this patients reactions that stand out and would lead you to avoid which approach... cognitive rigidity, so instead of relating physical and psychochological abuse as a matter of fact, go in reverse, the common denominator, showing how similar consequences occur, which sidesteps the rigid framework of her moral structure... instead of challenging head on, when someone is very inflexible in imaging various possibilities, use the similar ends without even needing to challenge, whether or not she agrees it does open the door for her to see emotional abuse as having equally deleterious ends, even though she may classify the two differently, then link the ends, as she had expressed worry about her friends earlier... i won't go into detail, but yeah, asian canadians as a culture for example have high cognitive rigidity, i have very little if any, i have opinions, but can postulate multiple possibilities without feeling threatened in my worldview... so

two outside of ontario selected and 15 students total, ton of residents... and im asked to critique the residents, with the exception of one phenomenal pgy5

god, i know s h i t that's happened that would be frontline news internationally, you have no idea of the degree of sick sick things ive seen and know about the is hush hushed...

yeah, i also have no visiospatial memory, in fact i cant recall images without words first... im not a genius, that's not my point... excuse me for uut sing the term, but being the person someone turns too in their darkest hour, where you, in a way are responsible for the very soul of a person, there's so much more going on, and seeing someone attempt suicide multiiple times to getting back to marathons nailing two 4.0 degrees, travelling the us, watching multiple personality disorder, dx'ed 19 different things in 2 years... lovely inter-rater reliability eh, at the time called schizoaffective disapear to never return in about five minutes time... yeah, i guess books don't mention things that are too nebulous to procure medical authority in ease of interpreting the objectivety of the condition... except, that so called nebulous conditions are objective, just read 2-3 thousand pages on trauma literature... of course multiple personality doesn't exist

i just really dont think you know how sad it is to watch someone degenerate from a bright cheerful person to an anorexic, schizphrenic, multipersonalitied, self-mutilating, over 2000 scars, cigarette burns... i dont give a **** about proving im smarter than you, smarter than u means what, nothing

proving anything... i give a **** to such an extreme, that, ****, have u ever write a proposal for a prestigious institute that selects 15 med students in 45 minutes after getting a phone call ur friend killed themselves...? I have

another one, and been so emotionally numbed it procures no feeling... yeah... maybe thats a more sincere annswer, if it wasnt i would have been in first yr res at the top res program in canada now, waiting on that 6 figure salary... no wonder francescutti tells me he wishes i could have been in the room when he called med students today lazy, entitled, honestly, i know ****, and i read 1000 page textbooks, informationally, im literally a freak of nature, and its never good enough, i never want to get a phone call that someone offed themselves because someone didn't give everything they have again... and not only didnt give it their all, the ****ed up, because they read half a chapter on eating disorders... instead of maybe a few books, and maybe spending a drastic ammount of hours observing therapy... i admit, i know nothing about eating disorders...) but i sure as hell know the approach was negligent beyond belief... and **** it, negligent is casual here, **** you can ****ing be maligant to patients to the most extreme nature you can imagine, which you can't, and if you have a buddy it get's overlooked, you take a male borderline patient with scabies on the bus to inpatient in the freezing winter... sit down and talk on 3 separate occasions, extreme case, extreme abuse, drunk as ****,real chance of me getting hurt... yeah, i do this **** like twice a week... **** most ****ing obstinate pricks who have a tenth my knowledgebase dont even wanna hear about... because honestly, the stories are horrific... anyhoo... keep chasing that md, im honestly tossing mine in the trash when i get it... i could give a **** about being thought smart, titles accolades... i got 30 scholarships in 2 years for ****s sake... there ya go... thats why i want to do medicine, public health, writing, research on working memory for adhd... because honestly, most people aren't comfortable even being around some of the patient pops i enjoy working with, let alone effective....

by the way, if you had the guts to say half the **** i say in real life, you'd be a fun target of some very malignant folks... and ****, iuno, im pretty sure youd **** your pants in a meeting... but ****, of course i have a low self esteem, our last two liberal leaders spent tons of money to avoid character assasination and they were both ****ed out... ****... those are provincial party leaders, and i defended myself... you have no idea about the politics of anything, and honestly, you think i push myself to prove **** to you... you have no idea what things are like behind the scenes, and don';t have the experiences to push you hard enough to use any means to get your ends... literally, i could care less, being smart isn't worth ****... because people have lawyers working both sides, people are in bed with provincial governments... im not really your average med student though, you **** with me and go the first route, believe me, i have so much my reputation may get trashed but well... let's say i even know what borderline politicians are in ottawa right now targeting our premeir... like, im happy for you, be a doc, learn about 20 percent of the care that's available, universal mediocrity for everyone... cue jumping, **** yeah, hey, guess what, it happens every ****ing day, who gives a ****... oh, because someone made a donation, ****, i get cue jumped just because i know so many docs... and i'm very atypical vicarious ptsd response, high degree of control at the time, high internal locus of control, internal validation, which means i don't have flashbacks, i grossly overcompensate, as in yeah, i literally sit down and read 4 years of the health law review... because there's no way i ever want to see what i've seen happen to the most vulnerable of people i know happen again... and of course, if someone wishing to procure a system that profits of people's suffering, well, lets just say there's the stick, then the hammer... the hammer is usually, back the **** off or i'll ruin your life... the empathy towards sociopaths eventually corodes, believe me

by the way, if you had the guts to say half the **** i say in real life, you'd be a fun target of some very malignant folks... and ****, iuno, im pretty sure youd **** your pants in a meeting... but ****, of course i have a low self esteem, our last two liberal leaders spent tons of money to avoid character assasination and they were both ****ed out... ****... those are provincial party leaders, and i defended myself... you have no idea about the politics of anything, and honestly, you think i push myself to prove **** to you... you have no idea what things are like behind the scenes, and don';t have the experiences to push you hard enough to use any means to get your ends... literally, i could care less, being smart isn't worth ****... because people have lawyers working both sides, people are in bed with provincial governments... im not really your average med student though, you **** with me and go the first route, believe me, i have so much my reputation may get trashed but well... let's say i even know what borderline politicians are in ottawa right now targeting our premeir... like, im happy for you, be a doc, learn about 20 percent of the care that's available, universal mediocrity for everyone... cue jumping, **** yeah, hey, guess what, it happens every ****ing day, who gives a ****... oh, because someone made a donation, ****, i get cue jumped just because i know so many docs... and i'm very atypical vicarious ptsd response, high degree of control at the time, high internal locus of control, internal validation, which means i don't have flashbacks, i grossly overcompensate, as in yeah, i literally sit down and read 4 years of the health law review... because there's no way i ever want to see what i've seen happen to the most vulnerable of people i know happen again... and of course, if someone wishing to procure a system that profits of people's suffering, well, lets just say there's the stick, then the hammer... the hammer is usually, back the **** off or i'll ruin your life... the empathy towards sociopaths eventually corodes, believe me

i unblocked some of that... i hope you understand now it's more monologue than writing

Wow. Usually I expect this level of rhetoric from the "genius" muse ;)

You know, I'm sure that many of us have experienced personal traumas or had otherwise difficult times in our lives, yet choose not to discuss them with strangers online, or else use them to demonstrate putatively unique sensitivity to "special populations" or the like.

Not that I don't agree that many med students aren't lazy and entitled, but we've all seen suicidal patients in the middle of the night in emerg. Everyone goes through psych and everyone will see horrible things. Those aren't really unique experiences for anyone that goes through training.

Probably the most important reason to list here is not so much a desire to "help people", but to help them at their most vulnerable with empathy, diligence, utmost commitment, and maybe enjoy some intellectual satisfaction of interesting findings or imaging or procedures.

And for the record, I have an excellent memory, particularly for faces, and just about anything visuospatial. Not to be immodest, but few have a better sense of direction. Not that that makes bone marrow path reports any less confusing for me...

yeah, but the 500 people i reference, not hyperbole... and i the worst of it is the stuff you don't hear about, egregious acts by doctors... just ****ing sick...

yeah, there's a lot more than that... believe me, what i've seen is so far on the extreme end you don't see it in the er, ever, prolonged over two weeks

yeah, self regulation, i call it more gagging people who speak out... raj sherman, the whistlblower who suspected cancer, schwann... yeah, lie to me one meeting to the next, because someones values disagree with evidence i present, well too ****ing bad, this is systemic, and that's what's disturbing, i have a special sensitivity to such extreme corruption that most never run into... systemically target me 5 times on a leave of absence, oh, ****, written apology, god dammit, head of student affairs tells me to outright sue the expletives... **** while some meth addict who fails a year... takes off for some more... god knows, could go on, no worries, typical mobbing behavior... ****, i've been dealing with heroin addicts passed out during the shift i was running since i was 16, im so numb to this, and honestly... it'd be nice if someone put themselves on the line for once, instead of worrying about that md... everything is overlooked, everyone is gagged... god forbid my meal ticket of a license be put on restriction... god forbid i open my mouth and have cbc national on my ass for the story in about 5 minutes

oh, and i enjoy most of medicine by the way, honestly, i enjoy almost everything... but i doubt i'd fit in culturally with the internal med crowd...

oh, ****, there's also the whole img thing, the whole pay redistribution based on long term outcomes measures rather than volume as well as by specialty and responsibility... the ridiculous politicization of spending, and subsequent waste of hundreds of millions... yeah, no pass fail, you're not entitled to **** because you got into med school, who gives a ****.... yeah me and good old plagiarizing dean baker had a chat about this over coffee... hmmm, one religious zealot and students who don't like the fact that they may not be the greatest thing in the world... well, mostly the younger trads, not so much the non trads... seems i was pretty popular with all the people that actually matter... honestly, we need more real people in medicine,instead of cookie cutter, risk averse, externally validated babies who freak when they get a b plus... or are unable to be self critical... or think for themselves

You know, I'm sure that many of us have experienced personal traumas or had otherwise difficult times in our lives, yet choose not to discuss them with strangers online, or else use them to demonstrate putatively unique sensitivity to "special populations" or the like.

Not that I don't agree that many med students aren't lazy and entitled, but we've all seen suicidal patients in the middle of the night in emerg. Everyone goes through psych and everyone will see horrible things. Those aren't really unique experiences for anyone that goes through training.

Probably the most important reason to list here is not so much a desire to "help people", but to help them at their most vulnerable with empathy, diligence, utmost commitment, and maybe enjoy some intellectual satisfaction of interesting findings or imaging or procedures.

And for the record, I have an excellent memory, particularly for faces, and just about anything visuospatial. Not to be immodest, but few have a better sense of direction. Not that that makes bone marrow path reports any less confusing for me...

im not a genius, i just learned to work with having no, period, no short term memory, i work harder than you because i was forced into a situation with someone with multiple personality disorder where some of the personalities let me know as soon as i left they would make the girl kill herself... i have very little recollection of past events, i live almost exclusively in the present and future... im downright masochistic, if u **** with me or get in the way of my goals i dont have to outsmart you, i dont give a **** except my ends... and if you'd like me to send you some pictures of slit throats id be glad too... hearing about people describe how their parents raped them is fun **** too... oops, cant handle bipolar, ship off... yeah no, imagine a two hour walk with someone you watched degenerate slowly... god, i know **** that's happened that would be frontline news internationally, you have no idea of the degree of sick sick things ive seen... yeah, i also have no visiospatial memory, in fact i cant recall images without words first... im not a genius, i just really dont think you know how sad it is to watch someone degenerate from a bright cheerful person to an anorexic, schizphrenic, multipersonalitied, self-mutilating, over 2000 scars, cigarette burns... i dont give a **** about being a doctor, smarter than u, proving anything... i give a **** to such an extreme, that, ****, u ever write a proposal for a prestigious institute that selects 15 med students in 45 minutes after getting a phone call ur friend killed themselves... another one, and been so emotionally numbed it procures no feeling... yeah... maybe thats a more sincere answer, if it wasnt i would have been in first yr res at the top res program in canada now, waiting on that 6 figure salary... no wonder francescutti tells me he wishes i could have been in the room when he called med students today lazy, entitled, honestly, i know ****, and i read 1000 page textbooks, informationally, im literally a freak of nature, and its never good enough, i never want to get a phone call that someone offed themselves because someone didn't give everything they have again... and not only didnt give it their all, the ****ed up, because they read half a chapter on eating disorders... instead of maybe a few books, and maybe spending a drastic ammount of hours observing therapy... i admit, i know nothing about eating disorders...) but i sure as hell know the approach was negligent beyond belief... and **** it, negligent is casual here, **** you can ****ing be maligant to patients to the most extreme nature you can imagine, which you can't, and if you have a buddy it get's overlooked, you take a male borderline patient with scabies on the bus to inpatient in the freezing winter... sit down and talk on 3 separate occasions, extreme case, extreme abuse, drunk as ****,real chance of me getting hurt... yeah, i do this **** like twice a week... **** most ****ing obstinate pricks who have a tenth my knowledgebase dont even wanna hear about... because honestly, the stories are horrific... anyhoo... keep chasing that md, im honestly tossing mine in the trash when i get it... i could give a **** about being thought smart, titles accolades... i got 30 scholarships in 2 years for ****s sake... there ya go... thats why i want to do medicine, public health, writing, research on working memory for adhd... because honestly, most people aren't comfortable even being around some of the patient pops i enjoy working with, let alone effective....

Dude... Stoners with speech disorders make more sense than you...

Seriously WTF at this giant block of text.

No offence but that $100k/year means nothing if you want to be rich. It saddens me that you people think becoming a doctor will make you "rich". Even making $300/year still doesn't make rich. I garuntee if all of you who spend all of your time that you study into a business instead, you might be making more money if you become successful after a couple of years.

Since when is 300k a year not rich? :confused:

its all relative

all i really want is a somewhat unlimited purchasing power that's not too excessive (no $1mil yachts, $500k cars etc... you really don't need those to live happy), but i want enough $$$ so that whenever I go to pick out a couch, appliances, pens, pencils, musical instruments, computers, cell phones, clothes... etc etc i can pick something better than a 'budget' item.

other than that i think i'll be pretty happy as long as i have my close friends, and family to enjoy my time/money with.

and in order to do that, i think ~$150 000 is more than enough for me

if you look up ways of improving informational processing speed and retention temporal ways always vastly outstrip topographical (spatial models) in speed and in informational clustering via repetition and then rapid integration... so i don't type, i literally type what im speaking out loud... hence the blocks of text

Income doesn't determine how rich you are. What you do with the income determines how rich you are. If you invest 300k into smart investments then you can easily become a millionaire. But if you keep wasting that money buying Porsches every year/sending your kids to private school then yes the 300k won't make you rich.

Yeah so that's why winning the lottery is often detrimental versus making the money 10 at a hour so you know it is worth more than making millions in seconds. :mad:

Largely because when you win 100mil you start thinking that you have infinite money. Also, most people have no idea about investments or personal finance.

I was reading an article once where a woman won a 1 million lottery and when asked what she's going to do with it, she said that she's gonna quit her job, go on a world tour, buy houses for all of her family members and a couple of good cars. It was so sad reading that article. I bet she's bankrupt now.

Since when is 300k a year not rich? :confused:

Sorry but...

300k/year is ALOT, but it by no means makes you rich!! A good portion of that goes away Ex. Tax + retirement. Also, with 300k/year your lifestyle isn't going to be cheap either, for example it'll cost you $1k-$2k to go to the dealership with your 5 or 7 series BMW. If you think you can afford a new Ferrari, your NOT even close bud.

Either way, rich in today's standards is when you can can afford to easily spend a couple of $1million without caring. If you think $300k/year is rich, that makes PDiddy and 50cent making close to $50/year equivalent to billionaires in the eyes of society today -.- But you would be surprised how many people make more than $300k/year nowadays (that aren't doctors).

Archived