Premed 101 Forums

Why do you want to be a doctor?

EoE

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Serious question:

can you explain to me the appeal of money in terms of the stuff you can buy with it? I never actually understood how people are overjoyed to live in a huge house and wear Gucci clothes that were made from the same asian suffering as the same shirt being sold for 1/4 the price under a different name... that looks/feels/is almsot exactly the same

I'm looking for logical arguments here

I came up dirt poor, worked my ass off and now have money. Meh

Some would say/think my business days were prestigious flying all over to attend conferences and meetings with other executives, CEOs and even politicians. Meh.

My mom certainly has no impact on what I do lol

I changed focus because my career no longer fit what I felt was my true interest and motivation in life and while I thought it was making money, because I grew up so poor, it certainly wasnt once I actually got some money therefore past a certain baseline I needed more than just money to interest and motivate me.

Trust me when I say if money is a primary/significant reason for doing something you will loathe that activity past a certain point but we must all determine what our own intrinsic and xtrinsic motivators are in life and adjust (and adjust) accordingly as we move through our journeys :)

let's be real, anyone that denies money/prestige/parents are just lying to themselves.

anyone that says they like x subject is because they understand it... i used to hate sciences until i actually started studying it (because i wanted to get into med school for above reasons) and started to understand it.. now i like it. if you understand something, you probably like it. you don't want to do medicine because you like it, you like it BECAUSE you want to get into medical school

people that say they want to help others.. lol, notsureifsrs. you can help others in so many other professions

and anyone that doesn't come from a poverty family.. you don't know the value of money. if you got everything handed to you on a ****ing plate, you don't know what money is.

Serious question:

can you explain to me the appeal of money in terms of the stuff you can buy with it? I never actually understood how people are overjoyed to live in a huge house and wear Gucci clothes that were made from the same asian suffering as the same shirt being sold for 1/4 the price under a different name... that looks/feels/is almsot exactly the same

I'm looking for logical arguments here

I've never wanted the lifestyle of the rich (i.e. ferrari, porsche, jetsetting, fancy restaurants). I feel like its all excess and the community is full of douchebags since really to become rich you need to screw a few people over here and there. Its also all for show. I'd feel much more uncomfortable eating in a fancy restaurant where they give bite sized portions, make you tip, make you wear a suit and have fancy table manners. It all seems a bit fake to me.

However, the appeal of money (I mean doctor style income). You can afford a nice car. You won't have to worry about waiting for the latest deals. You don't have to buy years old technology. You won't have to worry about paying the standard bills (gas, electricity, TV). You can go on vacations and explore the world. You have the freedom to donate to your favorite causes as well.

Not to mention the prestige associated with becoming a doctor. Doctors are one of the few high paying professions STILL respected by the general public post-Wall Street crisis.

Doctors will even be useful post zombie apocalypse (Walking Dead anyone? :P)

For me, there are a combination of reasons. The salary, prestige, and challenges associated with being a physician are the main driving forces for why I want to become an MD, along with being able to help the general public. Honestly, there are so many different professions that could fulfil this criteria for me, but I'd say that it's mainly because of the prestige and difficulty that separates being a medical doctor from other healtchare professions for me. Doing research and going into Physics is another avenue that I've debated pursuing, but honestly, it's not as stable or lucrative as being a physician. Although the difficulty and excitement definitely exists in this field.

Guest emersong

1. I am fascinated by the human body and want to know all about it.

2. I want to be able to help people in a big way everyday, and have an actual impact on the world.

3. I want to always be using my brain! Everyday is a challenge/learning curve for some types of doctors. That's super cool to me.

4. Diversity. An MD/DO = 343984923041* different career options.

*estimation

i dislike the current medical paradigm, and have severe secondary ptsd from my experiences of vicariously witnessing absolutely disturbing things... i did good on my first mcat, so im not a lawyer... im also a bit of a sensation seeking person, the md is just part of the ride... i also love to absolutely push myself to the edge, frankly speaking id get bored of clinical work day in day out... i love the fact that to achieve my goals i absolutely have to reach the level of perfection... oh, the money is nice too... im also a bit of a hedonist, love ****ing around with self serving authority figures who take advantage of the less well versed in life... i just love the moment when people realize im very atypical, it's sort of like vicariously acting out what they do to others, right back at people... of course these are the most unethical predatory people you can imagine, but i'll spare the details.

What part of pre MedS or MedS are you in? I guess you're a non-trad.

1. Money

2. Job Security

3. Prestige

4. Dr. Title

5. Helping people

6. Like learning about the human body

7. Like science

Believe me, i would not be studying for 8 years and then working like a dog just because i like helping people and i like science.

If medicine made 30k a year you would see 90% of applicants drop and probably 90% of the smartest ones as well. Medicine would drop off of the Asian and Brown: Career Choices list.

Don't bs me on the prestige. If you tell someone you are a physician, you get impressive looks.

If you love your academics why don't u just get a PhD, then you can work as a post doc and make 30k a year. Actually, u wouldn't even be working 80-100 hours, only around 40-50.

In some countries, physicians aren't all that prestigious and don't make that much money. Guess what, not that many people apply to become physicians. Wow, i'm so shocked. The only bad thing about med school interviews is u gotta make up a solid convincing lie about the: Why do you want to become a doctor? question.

How about you come back with a more representative comparison of salary. $30K? Although in China, Thailand, South Africa, and other countries $30K probably represents a 10 fold increase in the median income for those countries.

1. Money

2. Job Security

3. Prestige

4. Dr. Title

5. Helping people

7. Like science

Believe me, i would not be studying for 8 years and then working like a dog just because i like helping people and i like science.

If medicine made 30k a year you would see 90% of applicants drop and probably 90% of the smartest ones as well. Medicine would drop off of the Asian and Brown: Career Choices list.

Don't bs me on the prestige. If you tell someone you are a physician, you get impressive looks.

If you love your academics why don't u just get a PhD, then you can work as a post doc and make 30k a year. Actually, u wouldn't even be working 80-100 hours, only around 40-50.

In some countries, physicians aren't all that prestigious and don't make that much money. Guess what, not that many people apply to become physicians. Wow, i'm so shocked. The only bad thing about med school interviews is u gotta make up a solid convincing lie about the: Why do you want to become a doctor? question.

you know the funny part, and i know few people experience this, is well medicine is a pay cut for me

job security, uhhh yeah, it's called im a walking encyclopedia that can make stephen harper look like an idiot in a debate, god knows... career counselling told me not to apply for jobs, i apparently intimidate middle managers

if you need a title to impress people, believe me, i can make you look like a kid in about a minute... i hate titles, they give the false impression that you're good

yeah, i get called a genius 3 times a day, i was disappointed when i got into med because i though 9-5 would be a boring life

you like learning about the human body, but contradictory to the prior statement, you have only an idea of expectation, not what one's potential is... the knowledge-base required here is honestly minimal, my room mate from Iran laughed at my course work and use to drill me on intricate details, and force me to think... yeah, seriously, the irony is that working for financial ends usually means you end up making a fraction of what the person whose willing to push the limits of their being to help people make, like, you'll never even come close to my annual salary, seriously

i love how via thought experiments i just come up with a patentable treatment method for adhd... yeah, that could be worth more than you'll make in 20 years...

honestly, having someone not kill themself because you invested the ammount of time beyond what most professionals do (and hence gain an understanding that extensive work does yield results, we often give up to quickly... and honestly medicine isn't filled with the smartest people, phd's, entrepreneurs, all sorts of people... medicine is safe, medicine for most is volume, not intelligence, in the sense that you inductively procure diagnoses on house, although some do have that ability, don't worry, money doesn't motivate you enough to get there, believe me...

only after finding a financial plan on a planners usb did i believe what so many people told me, i could be a safety officer... it's a nice 200 g... command of english uhh... yeah, check, bachelors, check, literate in all their programs, at ease talking in front of and facilitating groups of forty, yeah, that's nothing... especially no gross psychopathology... well, gross...

easy 200 g, i need like a 2 month safety course, secure... i can help more people writiing books and doing an mph on the side than i could as a clinician anyways... uh prestige, talk to me for about 2 minutes... i'm tired of being told how awesome i am, thanks, i actually intentionally would use the title john doe, md over dr doe... its a degree, and honestly doesnt mean **** to me, actions, not titles, mean things, what is science, what kind of science, sorry i pee a little and laugh when i hear this, science is the exact same as the arts... if you're good at it, otherwise you're just another masochistic pattern recognizing dr. title, there's like 500 in every hospital... aim a little higher, seriously...

1. Money

2. Job Security

3. Prestige

4. Dr. Title

5. Helping people

7. Like science

I wonder when "you're" going to get off "your" high horse. If you're going to continue to preach to us about what a prodigy you are, I would suggest that you perhaps take some basic lessons in spelling and grammar. Might not be advanced enough for such a genius as yourself though (based on your outstanding communication skills of course).

If your novel ideas are so patentable, and you can make so much more than any one of us can in 20 years, then kindly enlighten the rest of us why you're scouring premed websites almost 24 hours a day?! I'm sure I'm not the only one that's confused by your random conflicting stories.

Get a life, grow up, and shut up already. You're not holier than thou, nobody is.

read the phonological transcription to text temporal versus topographical transcription, and utilitarianly useless, it's called spell check... i was being sardonic, not sarcastic, or facetious... yeah, that was satirical btw... i don't think you picked up, yeah, it's called work that has to be done on a computer, and multi-tasking.

honestly, it's cool bro, you need to chill... maybe you should take a vocabulary course i hear valium is a good word of the day, give it a try

I wonder when "you're" going to get off "your" high horse. If you're going to continue to preach to us about what a prodigy you are, I would suggest that you perhaps take some basic lessons in spelling and grammar. Might not be advanced enough for such a genius as yourself though (based on your outstanding communication skills of course).

If your novel ideas are so patentable, and you can make so much more than any one of us can in 20 years, then kindly enlighten the rest of us why you're scouring premed websites almost 24 hours a day?! I'm sure I'm not the only one that's confused by your random conflicting stories.

Get a life, grow up, and shut up already. You're not holier than thou, nobody is.

to bad we don't have any physicists post more often, then i could figure out how to think in that manner... i remember even way back when i could never break 11 on that stupid section... lol

Off topic, but reading muse's posts seems to be good practice for verbal....lol

HAHAHAHHAHHAHA

Meh... Just learn to ignore muse. The guy clearly has problems with self-esteem, etc. but there's no need to rub it in his face.

Let him "express" himself on these forums lol

Archived