Premed 101 Forums

Why do you want to be a doctor?

EoE

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not in it for the money, but the job security is definitely a major factor. And it's not prestige, I'm excited about having a job that makes me a valuable part of the community.

It's fine to be honest in an interview, but if you don't have the tact to at least say "money and prestige" in diplomatic ways, I don't think you'll get far.

The main reason I chose doctoring over other financially secure, community involved careers is that I want a job that makes me valuable during and after a zombie apocalypse. Is that so much to ask? I also like the idea of lying in bed at night comfortable in the knowledge that I fulfill an important role in society. I thought about lawyering but realised I would not have that. Nor would I be useful in a post-zombie situation.

I'm not in it for the money, but the job security is definitely a major factor. And it's not prestige, I'm excited about having a job that makes me a valuable part of the community.

It's fine to be honest in an interview, but if you don't have the tact to at least say "money and prestige" in diplomatic ways, I don't think you'll get far.

The main reason I chose doctoring over other financially secure, community involved careers is that I want a job that makes me valuable during and after a zombie apocalypse. Is that so much to ask? I also like the idea of lying in bed at night comfortable in the knowledge that I fulfill an important role in society. I thought about lawyering but realised I would not have that. Nor would I be useful in a post-zombie situation.

As a lawyer you would most likely provide an excellent brain due to the copious amount of reading that is done throughout law school. You would therefore be an excellent source of food for said zombies, and would help other survivors... get away. You could die knowing that your brain saved the lives of countless others. May you rest in pieces ;)

I do agree with the idea of being a valuable member of the community, it's pretty cool (and frightening at times) to sit back and think about what lies ahead. I also like the fact that you can be a business owner and still provide a service that is essential to bettering peoples lives. It also provides the option to reach beyond medicine as you do have financial security to branch out if the right opportunity comes up.

I want to be a doctor because, other than having a great interest in the human body, I can't find another profession that can have that helping impact on people's life. When you're a doctor, you can actually treat illness and try to restore normal life to ill people. Not only this, but medicine allows you to combine great opportunities, which are teaching, illness prevention, helping people in poor countries get well and become doctor, and finding new curses and new illness.

ok, contract work for 140,000, that's a fair number, at 24... the youngest you can finnish a family medicine residency is in 7 years, if you get in after two years, go to a 3 year school, and do a fm residency.

most people in medicine are paying tuition 6 years into their training and have to wait 8 years before they earn 50000 dollars, and 13 years before they make decent cash.

dentists who do 6 years, and have 7 years experience make more than 200 k, and dental school is nowhere near as difficult as medical school and residency.

the point wasn't the exact amount of money, rather the notion of going into medicine just for the money.

200k right out of school?

nope

ok, contract work for 140,000, that's a fair number, at 24... the youngest you can finnish a family medicine residency is in 7 years, if you get in after two years, go to a 3 year school, and do a fm residency.

hmm, i can only speak for quebec (and the market for dentistry isn't bad in quebec), and dentists doing contract work earn 75-80k/yr. Medicine pays way more than dentistry.

hmm, i can only speak for quebec (and the market for dentistry isn't bad in quebec), and dentists doing contract work earn 75-80k/yr. Medicine pays way more than dentistry.

hmm are you sure thats not low? usually, if working 3-4 days earns that much, maybe muse's mark of 140,000 is achievable if dentists are working full time-60hr weeks...dont know if that is correct though...

also last i heard, salaries of dentists in quebec are generally lower than other provinces...correct me if im wrong

Never have i ever heard so much discussion about salaries than on this forum.

If you do something for the money i can assure you that you'll be grumpy in life later on. Like what you do, be good at what you do and money will flow.

Pretty much. No job is worth it if you're just doing it for the money, be it doctoring or working at seven eleven.

Pretty much. No job is worth it if you're just doing it for the money, be it doctoring or working at seven eleven.

why else would you work at seven eleven? :confused:

but yeah, even though it's hard to find a better paying job than medicine, with such a demanding profession you better be in it for more than just the money.

During residency you probably won't even have time to spend anything and after than most of it will go to supporting your family...

I want to be a doctor for the money/prestige/chicks. I am 100% serious, not joking or trying to be a comedian.

If you need the money or prestige of being a Doctor to get laid you are either the ugliest mofo on the planet; have the charisma of a gnat; or have the skills to make a woman laugh that rival that of a dead person.

Just sayin, you know, since you're being 100% serious.

If you need the money or prestige of being a Doctor to get laid you are either the ugliest mofo on the planet; have the charisma of a gnat; or have the skills to make a woman laugh that rival that of a dead person.

Just sayin, you know, since you're being 100% serious.

why so much hostility against a person whos motivation happens to be different from yours?

But anyhow medguy, being a doc won't leave you much time to pick up chicks anyways.

why so much hostility against a person whos motivation happens to be different from yours?

But anyhow medguy, being a doc won't leave you much time to pick up chicks anyways.

Just returning the favour. Im sure he'll have his big boy pants on and not take my words too seriously ;)

Just returning the favour. Im sure he'll have his big boy pants on and not take my words too seriously ;)

You're a 35 year old man arguing on an online forum and trying to get into medicine, lol. You'll officially be an old man by the time you are an MD. I would imagine that the less said about your skills with women, the better.

I won't mention any more embarrassing details because it's not my intention to totally humiliate you...

I told one of the med students I work with about how this thread I started about motivation for medicine has turned into an argument about salary. He said, "Sounds like my PBL group."

Med students tell me the progression goes like this:

"Can't wait to be saving lives!"

3 years later: "Can't wait to earn that money!"

LOL it's a bit inevitable. But hopefully most of them are still very passionate about their jobs.

You're a 35 year old man arguing on an online forum and trying to get into medicine, lol. You'll officially be an old man by the time you are an MD. I would imagine that the less said about your skills with women, the better.

I won't mention any more embarrassing details because it's not my intention to totally humiliate you...

Aren't we being catty....

I'm sorry, but I couldn't agree with Aaron's original post more!

On an aside, medicine isn't a prestigious career anymore, so insulting him by saying he'll be an old man before he gains any self worth (because he has an MD, apparently) doesn't have hold any credence. Aaron is giving up a good career to pursue something he enjoys. The guy has a wife/long term girlfriend as well, so I don't see why your talking about his skills with women.

He's also absolutely right, money is important, to an extent, to most potential potential girlfriends/wives, but in the adult world, being funny, able to make good conversation, be decent looking, and finally, compatibility with a potential girlfriend is what will get you women, money absolutely cannot buy confidence, and it will show in your behaviour if you are hiding behind your MD for confidence.

I'm a 23 year old who's in medical school, has more awards and honors etc. than anyone can mention, and when I talk to a I never mention any of this, because I want someone to like a person for who they are and for them to like me for who I am, not my achievements.

I'd also like to add that it really isn't worth it to go into medicine solely for the reasons you cited, you'll be miserable. I can't wait to finnish this degree, do fm or an llb or something so I can find non-clinical work. I've also just considered dropping out and doing something more suited to my interests. A man I really respected told me that if you're truly passionate about what you're doing, you'll be willing to put in the hard work necessary to succeed and be financially successful. He has an entymology degree and his agri-business easily makes over half a million dollars a year. He's also been invited to speak on a provincial, nation, and international level as president of the Canadian association of his industry. I would also mention, he's a very happy man, the most important thing of all.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't agree with Aaron's original post more!

On an aside, medicine isn't a prestigious career anymore, so insulting him by saying he'll be an old man before he gains any self worth (because he has an MD, apparently) doesn't have hold any credence. Aaron is giving up a good career to pursue something he enjoys. The guy has a wife/long term girlfriend as well, so I don't see why your talking about his skills with women.

He's also absolutely right, money is important, to an extent, to most potential potential girlfriends/wives, but in the adult world, being funny, able to make good conversation, be decent looking, and finally, compatibility with a potential girlfriend is what will get you women, money absolutely cannot buy confidence, and it will show in your behaviour if you are hiding behind your MD for confidence.

I'm a 23 year old who's in medical school, has more awards and honors etc. than anyone can mention, and when I talk to a I never mention any of this, because I want someone to like a person for who they are and for them to like me for who I am, not my achievements.

I'd also like to add that it really isn't worth it to go into medicine solely for the reasons you cited, you'll be miserable. I can't wait to finnish this degree, do fm or an llb or something so I can find non-clinical work. I've also just considered dropping out and doing something more suited to my interests. A man I really respected told me that if you're truly passionate about what you're doing, you'll be willing to put in the hard work necessary to succeed and be financially successful. He has an entymology degree and his agri-business easily makes over half a million dollars a year. He's also been invited to speak on a provincial, nation, and international level as president of the Canadian association of his industry. I would also mention, he's a very happy man, the most important thing of all.

lol when you say it like that, it looks a lot more than $500,000...haha i kid though

why else would you work at seven eleven? :confused:

The deep emotional reward.

But really I think most people who work at convenience stores hate it, and most are doing it for the money. The few who don't are probably in it because they're very young and need the starter-level work experience, or they don't strictly need the money but want something to do to kill time.

I am, of course, generally unqualified to comment. I hated working at the convenience store with a deep and visceral passion.

Archived