Premed 101 Forums

Why do you want to be a doctor?

EoE

i'm not trolling and actually agree from my perspective... i could have done clinical psych and been paid 30 g a year to go to school and make similar money to fam docs with about 6 years for the phd and no debt... it just depends on the person

I guess that's possible, but none of my clinical psych friends make close to a family doc's income and none got paid 30g a year during their entire studies. A few did during the PhD, true, but not everyone/not most/not for 6 years... and some of my friends started out making under 40k/yr after their studies, working full time.

Anyways, as others have said, it's true that if you go into medicine for reasons that don't include actually enjoying learning medicine and thinking you'll love the studies and the job, you're wasting a big part of your life. If you love it, then you're having a good time 75+ hrs a week and it's not that shabby :)

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would you not want to become a doctor?

I personally feel that if you want to make something of your life YOU will have to work hard, and long. It's a long process, yes but also a satisfactory one.

Also keep in mind that medicine is not the only area of study where you have to invest years of your life into achieving the qualifications of the profession. One of my other passions/interests is theoretical physics ... well you would need to complete a bachelors, masters + Phd and THEN years of experience until you begin to earn a stable income (around $6-90 000) and suitable job opportunities (such as a professor--where most theoretical physicists end up becoming).

4 years of medical school - you're 26 or older if you apply late. (Gruelling curriculum where you have to basically study all day unless you're a natural born genius. Ive also read that the last 2 years are killer) and then the medical school acts like its doing YOU a favour(lol)

So much formatting... Anyway, I don't know that any of it is really that "gruelling" and I can't recall many times where I've had to study "all day" apart from maybe the 1-2 weeks prior to an exam. Nothing wrong with being 26 or older either.. :rolleyes:

You finally graduate but you still arent even considered a physician.

3-6 years of residency. You're 29-32. ($hit pay with $hittier work hours. From what ive read: upwards of 75 hours/week[WTF?] and a little over $40g-$50gs a year[WTF?!]).

Actually it starts at $50k and goes up by several thousand each year, with fairly good benefits, vacation and academic time, and some semblance of a call stipend. About the only time I've ever felt absolutely overtired/overworked are those times where I've been on call two weekends in a row. Fortunately the post-call day provides a little vacation and is the pleasant flip-side of 1 in 4 in-house call. So long as you live by the adage of "sleep/eat when you can" it works out okay.

Although I don't appreciate the OP's language and tone, I do agree that every aspiring premed needs to think long and hard before deciding that medicine is the only career path for them - look beyond the glamour and see the reality. I believe that far too many naive 18 year olds have no clue about the process of becoming a doctor and how much work does need to be put in.

For me personally, I have enjoyed every moment so far and being passionate about my field of work helps me get through moments of "it's 7 pm and I'm holding retractors after a 13 hour day and my friends are on the patio having a drink FML"

Well, i actually wanted to be a doctor up until I actually learned more about the process.

Seriously, you have to pretty much give up your life from what i've read.

Lets see:

4 years of undergrad - you're 22. (Not to mention, you have to pretty much spend all your free time doing EC's to be competitive)

4 years of medical school - you're 26 or older if you apply late. (Gruelling curriculum where you have to basically study all day unless you're a natural born genius. Ive also read that the last 2 years are killer)

and then the medical school acts like its doing YOU a favour(lol)

You finally graduate but you still arent even considered a physician.

3-6 years of residency. You're 29-32. ($hit pay with $hittier work hours. From what ive read: upwards of 75 hours/week[WTF?] and a little over $40g-$50gs a year[WTF?!]).

Once you do become a full blown physician, you still have killer work hours but at least the pay is decent. (Dont forget all that debt you accumulated.)

You also have to pretty much study the rest of your life to stay up to date

I just dont see how anyone can go through with this.

I mean, you have to REALLY REALLY feel the need to help others.

I never expected it to be a walk in the park but i didnt think it was this retarded.

yeah... it could be that or,

Finish highschool in 3 years (17 yrs old)

Finish undergrad in 3 years (20 yrs old)

Get in right away to a 3 year school (finish at 23 yrs old)

CCFP residency get paid 50g to 60g (finish at 25 yrs old)

Start work right away and earning $100k upwards at 25 years old?

But generally, it seems like you have the wrong motives to begin with. You don't become a physician to earn lots of money or to live a comfortable life.

You become one because you enjoy doing what you do as a physician and that enjoyment comes with some perks including a relatively high salary

Or maybe the OP doesn't have the capacity to study like med students do, not everybody CAN substain the rigorous workload (they can try as much as they want, they will never succed in doing so). That's why only an elected few can realise their dream of becoming physicians. (also, if your not lucky to become a physician, or if it's not your fate, you will NEVER become you, some things could happen like getting sick and getting crappy grades or having a car accident the day of the interview and not shoing up and having the adcoms REFUSE you).

I figured out before med school that it'll probably take me ~20 years as a family doc just to break even with what I would have made if I worked as an advanced care paramedic, if you factor in all the years of lost wages, and added debt of medical school tuition. And I would have still been doing something in medicine with a lot of autonomy where you help really sick patients and make a difference. Especially when I'm really exhausted and in the middle of another 30-34 hour call shift I wonder if it was the right choice, and I guess I don't know yet, but I do still believe it was.

Everyone has different reasons for going into med, so just because one doc says it was worth it doesn't mean it will be for you. All I can say for sure is it's one serious decision and commitment that you shouldn't take lightly, or do for the wrong reasons.

I'm 31, applying this year.

-I like work, I like to work 50+ hours per week, and have done it most of my adult life.

-I like my ECs. I like volunteering my time in my community.

-I like school, and continuing learning.

-I like being around people.

-I don't really care about having a fancy car/house and the only money I really want is enough to buy a 2-3bedroom cozy house on a little land in the country.

I'm not giving up a life- it is my life. And I love my life.

If you want money, power, prestige, girls there are better ways to get it.

-I like work, I like to work 50+ hours per week, and have done it most of my adult life.

-I don't really care about having a fancy car/house and the only money I really want is enough to buy a 2-3bedroom cozy house on a little land in the country.

I applaud people like you. Good luck :)

Also, to the OP, average first med student age is almost 25.

I wish the forum had a "like" option.

Has everyone here read http://www.medschoolhell.com/

I think this is a must read for all aspiring physicians. I sat down one afternoon and read all 40 pages of posts. I suggest that everyone else do the same (but skip over the parts about the American health care system because it obviously doesn't apply to us).

It really opened my eyes and made me think about other health care careers. And its so different from all the other blogs out there because it tells you the other side - why everyone is afraid to admit how unsatisfactory their life is in med school, residency and even in the work world (unless you're a fam doc or a specialty doc) is because they've sacrificed so much to get there that they don't want to admit it was for something not great at all.

I wish there were more blogs like this because it would give pre-meds like us a realistic view of what we are pursuing.

Go Kyla!

I'm 30 and starting this year. I enjoyed my years of computer science and training, but I've also grown and realized medicine is exactly what I want to do with my life. I don't care that I'll be 40 by the time I finish residency. It has the people, the intellectual challenge, the intensity... everything I thrive on.

Haha, thanks Simpy.

Attention to people reading this- these threads show up every once in a while and are often regarded by the oldtimers here to be from people who are trying to reduce the competition and keep others from applying. Maybe that's not what's going on, but it sure reads like one.

To the OP- really honestly, if you don't want to work hard, then get out of the med game. It's a lot of hard work, and it's hard work for your whole life.

Oh good god thank you for posting this.

I lol'd hard!

I think this is a must read for all aspiring physicians. I sat down one afternoon and read all 40 pages of posts. I suggest that everyone else do the same (but skip over the parts about the American health care system because it obviously doesn't apply to us).

It really opened my eyes and made me think about other health care careers. And its so different from all the other blogs out there because it tells you the other side - why everyone is afraid to admit how unsatisfactory their life is in med school, residency and even in the work world (unless you're a fam doc or a specialty doc) is because they've sacrificed so much to get there that they don't want to admit it was for something not great at all.

I wish there were more blogs like this because it would give pre-meds like us a realistic view of what we are pursuing.

lol, i've read that guys whole blog too, he's a very interesting character, he speaks a lot (more like a whole lot) of truth but i think he also has a bit of a personal vendetta

yeah, that's totally true, it just depends on how good you are (some clinical psychs work for the local health authority and make 60 g a year and others command 175 and hour), what you're certification is (clinical versus counselling psych, do you do primarily assessment, corporate/government consulting, clinical populations (no way in hell), counselling populations and what income bracket you target (location, specialization in modalities of therapy come into play here), where did you go to school), where do you work and what your credentials we're going in (for the scholarship/stipend (which is tax free i should mention)).

I guess that's possible, but none of my clinical psych friends make close to a family doc's income and none got paid 30g a year during their entire studies. A few did during the PhD, true, but not everyone/not most/not for 6 years... and some of my friends started out making under 40k/yr after their studies, working full time.

Anyways, as others have said, it's true that if you go into medicine for reasons that don't include actually enjoying learning medicine and thinking you'll love the studies and the job, you're wasting a big part of your life. If you love it, then you're having a good time 75+ hrs a week and it's not that shabby :)

• 3 months later...

Hey guys,

Long time reader, first time poster. A little about myself: I'm in third year in a science program in Ontario, somewhat involved in a few ECs that interest me. I have just recently applied to a few of the Ontario schools, but I've been really worried about my U of T application. The main reason I don't think I did a good job was because of their essay. I just found it really hard to formulate my true reasons for what drove me towards and why I want to go into medicine. Needless to say, I've been pondering this ever since, and I think I really have narrowed it down to a few main reasons. I just wanted to know what you guys think of them, if I should talk about them in my interviews, if they should be reformulated or reworded, and what some of your own reasons are for why you want to go into medicine.

I've wanted to be a doctor ever since I can remember, and it was mostly because I've always been really good at, and sometimes even liked studying, science (I know, I'm a huge geek, right?). But then I wanted to go deeper and it came down to the respect a doctor has, and the lifestyle, and financial stability that a career in medicine can give me. Societies around the world revere doctors and I know it is my place to be one of the few with this title, who can carry this great honour. Pretty much, I realized that I love how rewarding being a doctor is in most aspects of my life, but especially outside of my working environment.

Those were just some of the things that came to mind. What do you guys think??

My original reason for wanting to go into nursing was because I grew up in such a loving household, where my parents supported and loved me, I had wonderful friends and I had everything I needed in life. I used to watch World Vision ads on TV and I would just cry and cry, wondering why I "had everything" while the majority of the world was in terrible shape. It used to really affect me in a negative way. Then MSF had a show on TV one year that followed medical professionals in the field and I realized that instead of just being upset at the atrocities in the world, I could use my resources and supports in order to help the people who didn't have the same opportunities as me.

After applying to nursing school (which I was accepted into a couple of months later) my mom had an MD client at the bank she works at who asked why I didn't go into medicine. She told me about it and I was so shocked that he would suggest that...normal people can't go into medicine!

Anyway, I looked into it pretty extensively for two or three days straight and realized that yes, normal people CAN become doctors ;) And I figured, the more education and training I have in this world, the more opportunities I'll have to be useful to others and to help people. So bam. Started volunteering, started my undergraduate degree, pushed myself to get good grades, here we are!

First of all, I'm like the least self-centered person ever. I've been volunteering at the hospital for 2 years now, and I love every minute of it.

I really think that your point about physiology and healing, while valid, is something that the admissions committee is probably tired of hearing by now. Also, the "fascination with the human body" is not even something that will keep you interested in the long run. Sure, that stuff is new and exciting during med school and in your first few years as a doctor, but those passions will soon fade and get repetitive. The only constant motivator to any doctor is earning potential and prestige. When everything else gets dull and boring, and the patients are d*cks, money will always be there for you.

There is no doubt about it. Every physician is primarily motivated by money. Only money can get someone to put in so many hours of hard work and studying towards an ultimate goal so far away and so hard to attain. Think about it, ask yourself seriously, would you actually want to be a doctor if they only made $60k? I wouldn't. Or what if the didn't have the MD at the end of their names? Absolutely not.

I think this ability to introspect, that you've just witnessed, is my strong-suit and will be one of my chief strengths in the eyes of the admissions committees.

What do you guys think??

Because I wan't to cut people open and fix them. It's the most fascinating thing to me, I love learning in that kinaesthetic sense. To me it's seriously probably the most attractive job out there and alot of the times I wish I were interested in something else because it'd be so much easier to go for something else but I just cannot. :(

and it upsets me so much when I see people say they want to be a doctor for recognition, or money. I swear if they took my dr title away and gave me a decent salary I'd still be doing it and it'd still be my first choice.

• 1 year later...

Archived