Premed 101 Forums

Why do you want to be a doctor?

EoE

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On an aside, medicine isn't a prestigious career anymore, so insulting him by saying he'll be an old man before he gains any self worth (because he has an MD, apparently) doesn't have hold any credence. Aaron is giving up a good career to pursue something he enjoys. The guy has a wife/long term girlfriend as well, so I don't see why your talking about his skills with women.

oh please, any nob can go out and get married - marriage has nothing to do with skills with women.

He's also absolutely right, money is important, to an extent, to most potential potential girlfriends/wives, but in the adult world, being funny, able to make good conversation, be decent looking, and finally, compatibility with a potential girlfriend is what will get you women, money absolutely cannot buy confidence, and it will show in your behaviour if you are hiding behind your MD for confidence.

Although some of what you say is right, you’ve obviously never been in a serious long-term relationship. Compatibility is some romanticised term for “you get along and you tolerate each other”. Any two people can find ‘compatibility’; whether they are willing to accept and enjoy their differences is a completely different story.

I'm a 23 year old who's in medical school, has more awards and honors etc. than anyone can mention, and when I talk to a I never mention any of this, because I want someone to like a person for who they are and for them to like me for who I am, not my achievements.

Do you know how full of yourself you are?? You often have good insight but take a quick look at your previous posts and notice how often you are condecending and how frequently you talk about how extreme you are(lost 60 pounds now the healthiest, run 50 to 60k's a week, the most in debt, the one who dislikes meds the most, the one with the hardest childhood, the one who had to see the most doctors to eventually get ‘help’,….etc…oh yeah, the one who reads the best!) - you’re stories don’t add up and your obsession with jargon is infantile. Nevermind the girls or boys you try to pick up, any child could see through this cra p. Go out and get some real friends because you’re really not impressing anyone on here. By the way, how did you escape from that hopital you use to “work” at?

I realize that it is rather hypocritical for me to attack you in this fashion but unfortunately, sometimes we need to speak to children like children for them to get the point.

I realize that it is rather hypocritical for me to attack you in this fashion but unfortunately, sometimes we need to speak to children like children for them to get the point.

Would you please take your puerile vendetta out of this public forum?

Shhhhhhhhhhhh, don't ruin this Erk, this is awsome. My lab is so boring and the board has really gone quiet, what is life without drama and conflict? How are things down in cow-town, all set to go?

Mostly set to go, I still have to drag my butt in to the last few immunisation type stuffs. I just had more than my fill of drama visiting relatives though... small-town teens produce the stuff like the rest of us produce feces.

Come to think of it, doesn't your lab crank it out too? My lab was so dramatic it nearly killed me. Especially when we had summer students.

Actually, in an attempt to loosely draw this back to the topic, one of the things that does concern me about doctorising as a career is the lifestyle of a hospital or clinic. I suspect that like other large workplaces, they are jam-packed with pointless, energy-wasting drama, especially hospitals.

@some gurl

@muse87

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Now now, you two. Let's stop with the personal insults, okay?

We can disagree like adults, right?

Please stop.

You are welcome to carry on your personal arguments privately over email or personal message.

Nobody else on this forum cares to read your back and forth.

Thanks.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

repeated ****ed up life experiences (call me next time you walk in on someone you care about who slit their throat and tried to od on their meds and are having convulsions and having to handle it, blood all over the place, it's fun stuff) cause extreme resilience in a subset of the population who undergo repeated traumatic events over and over again.

A point of information, that while some people with those experiences learn resilience, many more develop Cluster B personality traits (or an outright PD).

Oh man! Is my thread going to get canned? My precious thread!

Another thought on being a doctor: I wanted to be a doctor so I could be like the heroes I have known. My dad and my supervisor. Both great doctors. Both gentle and brilliant. If getting a couple letters after my name could make me more like them, I would not hesitate to get them.

Anyone else have an inspiration from a doc they have known?

the two aren't mutually exclusive, and expressing those traits would technically have to be a response to wide spectrum of social situations rather than specific ones. i'm quite self-aware that i take an approach to certain situations in life that have characteristics of two and sometimes one more cluster b personalities, it's intentional, very flexible, and highly adaptive in the situations i tend to employ them in... too bad... i always wanted to be able to label myself with a socially constructed, stable personality that arose from the dsm's desire to become more objective and take the subjectivity out of mental "illness" in order to maintain the specialized knowledge (being able distinguishing the "ill" from the "non-ill") criteria of a profession in psychiatry, but that's a thomas szasz book and a half so i wont go there

back to why everyone wanted to become a doctor :)

A point of information, that while some people with those experiences learn resilience, many more develop Cluster B personality traits (or an outright PD).

i had a neuro that was quite phenomenal, probably the best doc i ever had, spent over an hour with me going over literature and all sorts of things, really awesome guy

Another thought on being a doctor: I wanted to be a doctor so I could be like the heroes I have known. My dad and my supervisor. Both great doctors. Both gentle and brilliant. If getting a couple letters after my name could make me more like them, I would not hesitate to get them.

Do you know how full of yourself you are?? You often have good insight but take a quick look at your previous posts and notice how often you are condecending and how frequently you talk about how extreme you are(lost 60 pounds now the healthiest, run 50 to 60k's a week, the most in debt, the one who dislikes meds the most, the one with the hardest childhood, the one who had to see the most doctors to eventually get ‘help’,….etc…oh yeah, the one who reads the best!) - you’re stories don’t add up and your obsession with jargon is infantile. Nevermind the girls or boys you try to pick up, any child could see through this cra p. Go out and get some real friends because you’re really not impressing anyone on here. By the way, how did you escape from that hopital you use to “work” at?

omg this could not have been said any better. I have refrained from posting on these forums because i prefer to just read what others have to say but I think I need to comment on how annoying the garbage posts that muse and aaronjw spew out on a daily basis are for me, a frequent reader.

couldn't agree with you more! ;)

omg this could not have been said any better. I have refrained from posting on these forums because i prefer to just read what others have to say but I think I need to comment on how annoying the garbage posts that muse and aaronjw spew out on a daily basis are for me, a frequent reader.

Haha one of the doctors I know really well asked me what I wanted to be, and he said with a very serious face, "Never, ever become a doctor." Yeahhhh, he didn't really motivate me at all...

But, the neuro I work for has been a great role model for me. Can't say enough great things about her. The way she interacts with her patients and how much love she has for her job is infectious :)

the two aren't mutually exclusive, and expressing those traits would technically have to be a response to wide spectrum of social situations rather than specific ones. i'm quite self-aware that i take an approach to certain situations in life that have characteristics of two and sometimes one more cluster b personalities, it's intentional, very flexible, and highly adaptive in the situations i tend to employ them in... too bad... i always wanted to be able to label myself with a socially constructed, stable personality that arose from the dsm's desire to become more objective and take the subjectivity out of mental "illness" in order to maintain the specialized knowledge (being able distinguishing the "ill" from the "non-ill") criteria of a profession in psychiatry, but that's a thomas szasz book and a half so i wont go there

back to why everyone wanted to become a doctor :)

Would that be antisocial, histrionic, narcissistic, or borderline? ;)

I have never spent much time in a hospital at all, nor was I overly interested in science to begin with.

When I was 14, Doctors Without Borders released a short-running tv show documenting life in the field for the doctors and nurses working in places like Uganda. I had always carried quite a bit of guilt with me, even and especially at age twelve to fifteen, because I've always had a wonderful life- great family, comfortable, safe life, nothing bad ever happened to me and I wondered why the hell I had everything so perfect while so many people in the world were suffering in poverty and violence. When this show came on it was like a beacon. It made me realize that I didn't need to feel guilty for having a good life: I could pay it back by trying to use what I had to become someone who could help others!

So I decided to become an LPN, because I "want to help people but didn't trust myself with their lives." Hah. After finding out MSF does not take LPN's, and realizing that I wanted to aim higher than that and that I am indeed not as clueless in school as I had thought in high school, I decided to become an RN. After I applied to nursing school and was accepted, a random doctor client of my mom's (she's a banker) asked her why I don't go to medical school, and I realized yeah, why don't I try! I would have the opportunity to do a hell of a lot more for people and make even more of a difference, and I've developed a definite and deep interest in human biology, so here we are now!

If you want more answers from other posters, definitely use the search function. There have been lots of threads in the past. Here's my reasons: (as i type this, I'm getting the interview jitters back!)

1) I wanted to have a career that allows me to take the skills and abilities I have and have an impact on communities and society as a whole. Medicine accomplishes this because physicians work with patients on a day to day basis, and across their careers and lifespans their impact stretches to the community and eventually society.

2) Medicine encompasses two of my biggest interests: 1) Science and 2) Humanities (working with people in particular)

3) Having dabbled in research in undergrad, I knew that problem solving is something I enjoy and would like to incorporate into my future career, and a physician's job is essentially problem solving.

Reasons I chose the Windsor campus at Schulich: more hands-on experience during clerkship, new facilities/building, and i think most importantly that i'm a native Windsorite and want to give back to my community through training here through med school and possibly as a physician one day!

If you're going through the application cycle for 2011-2012, I'll be honest and say there will be some tough times ahead and definitely lots of waiting. But, make sure you take it one step at a time and never give up on your dreams.

Good luck all,

bi89

+1 well said :)

Welcome Back!

Well i guess ill state my reasons. Not sure why a 100% yet, but i guess everyone is still figuring stuff out right? As of yet, i believe i am interested in medicine due to intellectual challenges posed by it, the rewarding feeling you get by making some difference (Rather it be big or small) in someone's life, the appreciation i have towards the medical field.

+1 well said :)

Hey f_d!

I'll also mention that there is no right or wrong answer to the "why medicine" question. And its completely normal not to know right now, because i didn't know for a long time either. However, I did a lot of soul searching, and a lot of thinking to really get at the root of the answer. So as long as you come up with a genuine, professional, and personal answer, you're golden.

i do have to say, although this is really stereotypical, do not go in if you're only motivation is money and security, that can be one motivation, but unless there's some specialties you find other redeemable attributes in, avoid medicine!

this comes back to one of the big things i hate about pre-med, it's almost impossible to get experience in the medical field until you're in medical school. my only experience was in psych, so i knew i wanted that, but realized in med it wasn't worth all the bs i didn't care about (why does a psychiatrist have to do a clerkship in surgery, seriously? i've worked with innumerable psychiatrists and the majority know the cursory basics of medicine insofar as it allows them to safely practice psychiatric medicine) just to get to that end.

there really need to be more programs that offer exposure to medicine so people don't find themselves in the program, in debt, and saying i don't enjoy this.

i'm interested in dentistry now and had no problem finding opportunities to see what dentists do on an everyday basis, and found that it's actually quite cool. i really doubt it would have been as easy to shadow a surgeon as an undergrad!

I'll also mention that there is no right or wrong answer to the "why medicine" question. And its completely normal not to know right now, because i didn't know for a long time either. However, I did a lot of soul searching, and a lot of thinking to really get at the root of the answer. So as long as you come up with a genuine, professional, and personal answer, you're golden.

Archived