Premed 101 Forums

GPA reality check

david_66

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just read this entire thread and I have to say this is probably the most hilarious thing on pm101. Starts off with trolling, then scattered conversations ensue about gifted minds, college, GPA conversions, etc.. I have to give it to the guy, he's a pretty good troll.

Just read this entire thread and I have to say this is probably the most hilarious thing on pm101. Starts off with trolling, then scattered conversations ensue about gifted minds, college, GPA conversions, etc.. I have to give it to the guy, he's a pretty good troll.

I was only a half troll. Half lie, half truth. 

People don't usually rally around to fight a common cause unless an obvious injustice is seemingly committed. If it wasn't my original post, muse and other posters would not have produced such high quality responses. The net effect of this entire thread is positive. 

You really think that the average premed gunner will actually get discouraged when reading the original post? I say that they became motivated, albeit a negative type of motivation. 

Morality is a complicated matter. 

I was only a half troll. Half lie, half truth. 

People don't usually rally around to fight a common cause unless an obvious injustice is seemingly committed. If it wasn't my original post, muse and other posters would not have produced such high quality responses. The net effect of this entire thread is positive. 

You really think that the average premed gunner will actually get discouraged when reading the original post? I say that they became motivated, albeit a negative type of motivation. 

Morality is a complicated matter.

Have you seen the anime Code Geass? I don't want to spoil it, but the premise of your statement is exactly what the plot of that anime embodied - that you can bring all people together against a common cause when there is an obvious injustice committed. It's amazing! 

However, I'm not sure if it was really needed. Sure, people all got mad at you, but some may have actually taken your first post very seriously and really thought that they werre pathetic as you called them - if someone screwed up their first semester they shouldn't believe that they are doomed to fail. 

Have you seen the anime Code Geass? I don't want to spoil it, but the premise of your statement is exactly what the plot of that anime embodied - that you can bring all people together against a common cause when there is an obvious injustice committed. It's amazing! 

However, I'm not sure if it was really needed. Sure, people all got mad at you, but some may have actually taken your first post very seriously and really thought that they were pathetic as you called them - if someone screwed up their first semester they shouldn't believe that they are doomed to fail. 

Yes. Why would that be a bad thing? If a student who wants to go into med school struggles academically in his/her first year, this type of thread is exactly what he/she needs. It's threads like these that outrage the heck out of people and fire them up to make positive change to themselves. For those who simply felt pathetic and do nothing as a result (which I think are in the minority), they can't really be helped to begin with. Positive motivation and cheerleading don't fundamentally change people. They themselves must be the source of that change, and sometimes you gotta spark the fire inside them.

Positivity only changes the state of people's emotions, negative anchors more change their behaviours. 

I can't believe this topic is back again.

(sorry, I used to read this forum A LOT in first year before I actually made an account in third).

Whatever happened to Brock Medical Sci? 

Was banned and never came back. Legend has it that he's trolling on other forums to this day. 

Although OP passes off his/her comments as trolling, the comments seem to be stemming from quite a few insecurities. OP can rationalize the bullying in the name of "trolling/motivating", but the fact is, it takes a pretty shitty person to comment like this, even as a joke. Stroking your own ego at the expense of those that are already down.

"I'll make 400k as a surgeon etc. etc." Well I hope you should enjoy your money when going through strings of failed relationships, friendships, possible divorce settlements and more, with that shitty personality of yours. 

Yes. Why would that be a bad thing? If a student who wants to go into med school struggles academically in his/her first year, this type of thread is exactly what he/she needs. It's threads like these that outrage the heck out of people and fire them up to make positive change to themselves. For those who simply felt pathetic and do nothing as a result (which I think are in the minority), they can't really be helped to begin with. Positive motivation and cheerleading don't fundamentally change people. They themselves must be the source of that change, and sometimes you gotta spark the fire inside them.

Positivity only changes the state of people's emotions, negative anchors more change their behaviours. 

Love how delusional these rationalizations are.

Archived