Premed 101 Forums

GPA reality check

david_66

I think I might know this person David from UT. Are you that asian kid who always sits in the front and asking questions 24/7 and sometimes you like to summarize and explain the prof or the TLS guy what he just said like a second ago. Im not joking, literally the whole of life science knows him and we all hate him. He sounds like the obnoxious kid though from class, but I never knew he would have been so vocal about these things. I always got the feeling that he's a bit shy around other students.

Dead man don't talk. (well banned, to be more accurate)

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I might know this person David from UT. Are you that asian kid who always sits in the front and asking questions 24/7 and sometimes you like to summarize and explain the prof or the TLS guy what he just said like a second ago. Im not joking, literally the whole of life science knows him and we all hate him. He sounds like the obnoxious kid though from class, but I never knew he would have been so vocal about these things. I always got the feeling that he's a bit shy around other students.

That's funny, I know one girl in UofT and she always talks about an annoying Asian kid who sits in the front and always asks Qs, could this class possible overlap with engineering? :P

lol we have one like him in biomed at york too but hes brown!

That's funny, I know one girl in UofT and she always talks about an annoying Asian kid who sits in the front and always asks Qs, could this class possible overlap with engineering? :P

We had a kid like that in my bio class. He dropped the course shortly after he decided to ask what incest was in front of the whole lecture hall of 150 people. :eek:

Then wouldn't that be biased in favor of McGill students? According to that scale, 85%+ is 4.0 for them.

Yes the OMSAS does give Mcgill students a slight advantage.

UBC also gives advantage to schools which do not award percentage, since they convert an A+ to 95%, A to 87.5% etc. I think we all know that most of the time, a students' A+s are closer to 90% than it is to 100%, so rounding that to 95% isn't an accurate reflection at all.

Calgary also has a ridiculous system which penalizes schools which award percentage.

In short, going to a school which awards both percentage and letter grade sucks.

I'm at McGill and most of my A's fall within 86-88 percent range. It's far from impossible to get 85+ but I think for most McGillians 85 to 90 percent is the upper limit.

When I did my UG at McGill, most of my grades were around 92-94 if I recall correctly, and I know I got a few close to 100. That doesn't mean it's not the upper limit for some others.

LOL sorry for bump. Don't know this David guy, but yeah he was annoying as hell during that last TLS seminar. :P I guess the whole life sci knows him after all!

reminds me of this guy everyone knew from my undergrad, who memorized absolute minutia, everyone made fun of him, but i knew him pretty well since i dated a chick that did volunteer work with him, she asked him why he tried so hard one time and his response was because he had nothing else to do, so maybe there's more sadness in it than reason to feel angry.

LOL sorry for bump. Don't know this David guy, but yeah he was annoying as hell during that last TLS seminar. :P I guess the whole life sci knows him after all!

reminds me of this guy everyone knew from my undergrad, who memorized absolute minutia, everyone made fun of him, but i knew him pretty well since i dated a chick that did volunteer work with him, she asked him why he tried so hard one time and his response was because he had nothing else to do, so maybe there's more sadness in it than reason to feel angry.

Why would you pity someone who, if the logic was followed correctly, is beating everyone around him where it counts, on the scoreboard? I wouldn't pity that guy, he'd be my competition and I could give a rats ass if he were a socialite or a hermit.

I'd just like to congratulate David on getting a 3.9 on his first semester of undergrad. It is clear that he is one of the competent individuals in society.

David has the right to be arrogant about his marks. Too much of pm101 says "Just work hard enough to meet the GPA cutoff then let your ECs do the talking." That's crap advice invented by a bunch of low-GPA scrubs to delude themselves into thinking that they have a chance. Ignore it.

The fact is that the "nice guys" who "care about their communities" and "want to make a difference" don't get into medical school. It's the players who can fake it that do. David gets this. Keep it up bro.

Everyone seems to be gunning in their own way, but I believe they're quite a few well rounded applicants that are accepted.

Btw, didn't a mod warn how they'll be banning all your atomsmasher accounts?

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?p=652656&highlight=atomsmasher#post652656

I love how you implied that "well rounded" involves having low marks. Let me tell you something kid. It was hard work and dedication to one specific goal that allowed our ancestors to build this country into what it is today. Back then, our founding fathers had no regard for image enhancement and resume padding to try to puff yourself up. So as far as I'm concerned, if you aren't 100% dedicated to your goal, you aren't well rounded - you're a shell of a human.

Yes, but I could just come back with a completely different username, and they would never know. So allowing me to keep this username would be the civil thing to do... analogous to the rules of engagement in a battle.

Archived