Premed 101 Forums

GPA reality check

david_66

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I go to U of T and have already finished the first semester. I have 4 As and one A- in my five courses as of now. That is a 3.9 GPA approximately. I came to this university thinking and hearing how hard it would be; it was the exact opposite.

I can't believe some of you are failing your courses and thinking of medical school. My best advice to you all is seriously think about your prospects and strengths. The reality is: some of you will never make it no matter how hard you try. Some of you eventually makes it in the end because you have both academic talent and are hard working. This is a rare combination and most of you don't have it.

Beware of false hopes, it can crush you in the end. If somewhere deep inside you, you know you are not good enough, accept it and move on. University is not all about academics. Party hard, hit the hot chicks, and have the best time of your life. Quit endulging on a goal that you will never achieve.

Don't think that just because you're doing well now, you'll do well in the future. It doesn't always work out that way. I know TONS of people who either had a 95+ avg from high school, or a 3.95+ in first year, that got destroyed in later years. Make sure you don't get too cocky.

Also, you'd be surprised with how people can change. In grade 10, I had a 65 average in high school. My teachers suggested that I switch to a non-academic stream (but I didn't). After 3 years of university (in a science undergrad), I had a 95% average and am now in medical school. People and situations change, and you are certainly not the person to make the judgment as to whether that person is more deserving than another.

congrats on your first semester, you did alright. but i think hard work CAN make up for a lack in talent. i managed to get by first year physics unscathed. I had no previous physics experience, and I completely sucked going in. Putting in time and effort definitely made a difference. yes, there is a limit for some people with respect to academic performance. but on the whole, for others who are not as perceptive/ gifted as you, i say keep on trying, pushing as hard as you can.

btw, you're the reason a lot of U of T life sci students get a bad rep.

and kid, don't get too cocky. it's one semester. over-confidence can be your downfall.

+1.

OP stop bringing a bad rep to UofT.

lol, pretty much same story here, except i had even lower marks, rofl... the reason stuff like this makes me mad is because if people like him ended up in education and i wasn't lucky enough to run into 1 or 2 good teachers, amids't the sea of bad ones i had, i'm sure my life would be very different, you're definitely right that situations and people change, and often because of other people, if he was in a position where someone actually looked up to and respected his opinion he might be the tipping point for someone to take one path or another. look at micky ward in boxing (the real life person personified in the fighter), after watching the movie i watched a biography about him, and then his 3 fights where he won fight of the year three years in a row and it goes to show how far someone of modest ability can go if they're driven enough.

Don't think that just because you're doing well now, you'll do well in the future. It doesn't always work out that way. I know TONS of people who either had a 95+ avg from high school, or a 3.95+ in first year, that got destroyed in later years. Make sure you don't get too cocky.

Also, you'd be surprised with how people can change. In grade 10, I had a 65 average in high school. My teachers suggested that I switch to a non-academic stream (but I didn't). After 3 years of university (in a science undergrad), I had a 95% average and am now in medical school. People and situations change, and you are certainly not the person to make the judgment as to whether that person is more deserving than another.

lol, pretty much same story here, except i had even lower marks, rofl

Isn't it funny seeing the reactions from people you went to high school when they see how you're doing now?

A lot of the people I went to high school with are bitter behind my back. All because I never did **** in high school and coasted by but still ended up further than them in school. Apparently I don't deserve being in uni while they dropped out :D

I go to U of T and have already finished the first semester. I have 4 As and one A- in my five courses as of now. That is a 3.9 GPA approximately. I came to this university thinking and hearing how hard it would be; it was the exact opposite.

I can't believe some of you are failing your courses and thinking of medical school. My best advice to you all is seriously think about your prospects and strengths. The reality is: some of you will never make it no matter how hard you try. Some of you eventually makes it in the end because you have both academic talent and are hard working. This is a rare combination and most of you don't have it.

Beware of false hopes, it can crush you in the end. If somewhere deep inside you, you know you are not good enough, accept it and move on. University is not all about academics. Party hard, hit the hot chicks, and have the best time of your life. Quit endulging on a goal that you will never achieve.

This thread made me angry and sad. Not at this guy, but at myself...

u mad I beat your GPA OP?

Fundamentally you're saying:

Don't waste your time on a goal you won't achieve. I think it's better to work very hard for 1 year and see the results, rather than one semester. Also, not everyone likes calc/physics and often that drops many people down. Just varies.

This thread made me angry and sad. Not at this guy, but at myself...

You can't take anything this clown has to say seriously. If you had a bad semester, forget about it. It's done. Find what went wrong and how you're gonna fix it and move forward. Many of us have had a bad semester or two. It's no big deal. No point in whining about it, that won't change anything. The only thing that matters is what you are going to do to fix it and improve on. Don't b**** and moan, do something about it!

Don't waste your time on a goal you won't achieve. I think it's better to work very hard for 1 year and see the results, rather than one semester. Also, not everyone likes calc/physics and often that drops many people down. Just varies.

Rofl this is gonna be interesting

Lol.. a 3.88 is NOTHING to be proud of buddy Lol, the ballz of this guy. That's actually right around average/ below average for UofT meds - meaning there's a good chance you won't make it. Lol.. people with 3.88+ get rejected with no interview ALL the time. Try converting it to the omsas scale and wait out 2.5 more years then we'll talk lol..

Lol.. a 3.88 is NOTHING to be proud of buddy Lol, the ballz of this guy. That's actually right around average/ below average for UofT meds - meaning there's a good chance you won't make it. Lol.. people with 3.88+ get rejected with no interview ALL the time. Try converting it to the omsas scale and wait out 2.5 more years then we'll talk lol..

Lol, a bit harsh, no?

medigeek vs david_66. Battle of the trolls.

oh and btw medigeek u dont go to uoft bro so sorry to break it to u but ur gpa is ****.

Lol, a bit harsh, no?

Lol.. in the spirit of his post name.. gpa reality check, I think someone like me needs to ironically hammer home the reality of this joker's GPA Lol... with a 3.88 cgpa, and he has the ballz to come on PREMED101 of all places, where people with 3.95+, 35+ MCAT are dime a dozen Lol.. and taunt the friendly residents here Lol.. that's REALLY ballsy.

holmes, you are just a medium - small sized fish in a pond that is UofT, med school in Canada is the pacific Ocean with tiger sharks and other critters ready to eat up arrogant pre-meds like you.

Geek, I have some respect for you, you have the right to talk with a high end gpa. Of course I won't slack off second semester, these guys gave me a beating and I learned it the hard way.

Obvious troll.

And for all the like-minded others, I'm impressed with how immature kids are these days. Absolutely no life experience. Can't communicate properly without offending the audience, poor grammar, poor sense of reality (Really? It's ONLY 3.88. There are hundreds of premeds laughing at you right now.)

So, as long as surgeons nowadays don't need communication skills, empathy, or common sense, then all the snobby, racist, sociophobic premeds are set for life.

medigeek vs david_66. Battle of the trolls.

oh and btw medigeek u dont go to uoft bro so sorry to break it to u but ur gpa is ****.

wut. I could be doing the easiest program at the easiest uni and if I was 0.01 higher, I'd still be accepted over a double physical science major, if all else equal.

Archived