Premed 101 Forums

GPA reality check

david_66

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL! (that's the first thought that crossed my mind, except there's no mention of money?)

GPA is not the same as intelligence anyways.. it's about knowing how to work smart for you. You could have the highest IQ in the world and still fail miserably at school.

Yeah, no mention of money or banging hot chicks.

Am I the only one getting tired of such threads or discussions? They just seem pointless as anyone who actually knows about reality spends useless amounts of time trying to convince the other that their viewpoint is flawed and that reality is sure to come a knockin at some point.

I'll say one thing about threads and posts like this: it makes me feel good about the community as a whole that's here. This forum is full of highly intellectual, academically gifted individuals yet its often these very same people who rise up to slam the viewpoints of such threads or posts. As someone who has to work very hard to make GPA's 3.8+ its quite refreshing to see :)

I'll end up being a surgeon, earn 400k a year, with a glamorous lifestyle and a ton of prestige. Lots of people will respect me then and I will look back and laugh at you all.

Most of you are illusioned and think that you will magically be a doctor with your pathetic 3.0 gpa (or even lower).

During my interview I will put on the most brilliant and deceptive mask and pretend to be a very optimistic and kind individual and I will eventually get in after third year, while most of you are sitting in front of your computer still typing words on a forum.

And muse, why do you spread false hope to people? Do you not realize that people sometimes need a reality check? Maybe harsh words, not pretentious encouragement, will wake up people and shake them up and put them in the right direction.

And thanks for the people who are correcting me, 3.88 instead of 3.9 GPA, big deal, ever thought of your own current pathetic GPA? Or are you just sad and desperate?

I did not want this to be a negative post and hoped that most of you had the maturity and see my point and accept the reality. The world is a cruel place, imagining it as a paradise will do you no good.

I'll end up being a surgeon, earn 400k a year, with a glamorous lifestyle and a ton of prestige. Lots of people will respect me then and I will look back and laugh at you all.

Most of you are illusioned and think that you will magically be a doctor with your pathetic 3.0 gpa (or even lower).

During my interview I will put on the most brilliant and deceptive mask and pretend to be a very optimistic and kind individual and I will eventually get in after third year, while most of you are sitting in front of your computer still typing words on a forum.

And muse, why do you spread false hope to people? Do you not realize that people sometimes need a reality check? Maybe harsh words, not pretentious encouragement, will wake up people and shake them up and put them in the right direction.

And thanks for the people who are correcting me, 3.88 instead of 3.9 GPA, big deal, ever thought of your own current pathetic GPA? Or are you just sad and desperate?

I did not want this to be a negative post and hoped that most of you had the maturity and see my point and accept the reality. The world is a cruel place, imagining it as a paradise will do you no good.

It's kids like this I really want to track down... however the OP seems like he was never loved as a child. Pity him.

Because "reality checks" kept me and many friends from achieving our full potential, whereas "false hope" lead me to believe that becoming a surgeon, that making 400 k a year was average, that anyone could do it if you pushed yourself, that it is nowhere near the epsilon of possible human achievement, and that i was too talented to waste my inspiration, aquired through the development of an extreme desire to ignite change, which requires nothing short of par excellance, on something as petty as being a surgeon. why you continue to convince yourself that such hypothetical achievements, which are more potent and telling in deed than in word, are worth anything, when anyone can achieve them. why don't you push yourself to achieve something greater... perhaps you have accepted your limitations, that's a good thing, only those with the greatest potential should be allowed to pull the strings of the puppets that are the upper middle class, such as future surgeons as yourself.

OK, I call TROLL!

Mods should check David666' I.P. Address for duplicates.

Alright, I very rarely post on these forums, I'm more of a reader then a writer, but I felt the need to comment on this post. I'm fairly certain that this individual is a troll, but on the off chance that they are not, how does telling someone in one thread that cheating the system is wrong and unfair to all the other students and posting in another thread that this individual is planning on being very deceptive in their interview? Is that not the same thing in two different situations? Finally, for people who are actually taking this guy seriously, the weight on GPA is varied based on the University that you apply to. Off the top of my head I can say that it's worth 15% of your application at Dalhousie University, while your interview is worth 40% and your ECs are worth 35%. As long as you meet the minimum requirements for GPA and excel in other areas you at least have a chance. Sure, it might be easier for you if you have a 4.0 GPA, but just because you're sitting at a 3.7 or you had a bad semester or a bad grade doesn't mean you should just give up on your dreams.

I go to U of T and have already finished the first semester. I have 4 As and one A- in my five courses as of now. That is a 3.9 GPA approximately. I came to this university thinking and hearing how hard it would be; it was the exact opposite.

I can't believe some of you are failing your courses and thinking of medical school. My best advice to you all is seriously think about your prospects and strengths. The reality is: some of you will never make it no matter how hard you try. Some of you eventually makes it in the end because you have both academic talent and are hard working. This is a rare combination and most of you don't have it.

Beware of false hopes, it can crush you in the end. If somewhere deep inside you, you know you are not good enough, accept it and move on. University is not all about academics. Party hard, hit the hot chicks, and have the best time of your life. Quit endulging on a goal that you will never achieve.

It's kids like this I really want to track down... however the OP seems like he was never loved as a child. Pity him.

I was seriously thinking the same thing (last part). I guess he was feeling miserable for the last couple of months due to studying all day and not talking to anyone and decided to vent on here

I genuinely feel sad for you david_66, you truly sound miserable

I'm going to say that David is a pretty obvious troll and I won't take the bait.

If not, David, just remember that you are still just an infantile little 18-year-old (with the intellectual maturity of a 16-year-old, clearly) and one semester of intro classes is not representative of your academic ability.

/thread

How do you know that you will get better or similar marks in the higher courses? How do you know that you won't get sick and have a bad semester? How do you know that the interviewers won't catch you? How do you know you will get into surgery? How do you know you will earn 400k/year? Are you a god?

I'll assume you're not just a troll. Listen bro, you're way too overconfident after a single semester of uni, probably the easiest you'll have, considering many users on this forum have outperformed you in grades and the same or other users will likely achieve more "prestige" and wealth than you will. I actually think most people are capable of achieving med school competitive grades given enough effort, but even if they don't choose to put in that effort you're in no position to look down on them.

Archived