Premed 101 Forums

GPA reality check

david_66

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bump,

This thread deserves more attention.

Wow, what a moronic and obviously troll thread. The only justifiable reason to post your grades is to ask if you have a chance or if you have a valid question about them. Not brag about them on here of all places.

I bet all those U of T hot chicks just want that huge dink when you tell them about that wizard 3.88 GPA. Please teach us the sorcery that helped you attain that majestic GPA/social life balance, David, you brilliant son/future surgeon.

BTW guys for my first semester I am currently maintaining a 4.0 GPA :D .

Brock....you got 50s in high school now you're PAYING to go to a program that allows you to do a couple of courses TO GET INTO university.

It's not really different than taking private courses at a HS where you PAY for your marks.

So the fact that you're getting 90s doesn't mean anything because you're essentially PAYING your way to get INTO university

it's college it means &^%!

. . . at college. Good work so far, but it doesn't really mean a whole lot.

There's nothing wrong with college itself. However college courses tend to be easier than comparable university ones (based on the experiences of many of my friends), so his 4.0 doesn't mean that much.

Just a note: I am really sick and tired of all the college bashing and trades going on in our society. It starts in high school with teachers and parents thumbing their noses at college and telling their kids/students to go to university.

Well now, we have way too many university graduates specializing in nothing remotely employable (except for professional programs: engineering, nursing etc..) Meanwhile we have the college grads and tradesmen with their practical and useful knowledge in demand.

I guess we will see who will have the last laugh while the arts graduate is serving my coffee. This is coming from an guy in engineering. (Yes I loath the artsy-fartsy and science students, half of them shouldn't even be there)

Cheers,

ABS

Just a note: I am really sick and tired of all the college bashing and trades going on in our society. It starts in high school with teachers and parents thumbing their noses at college and telling their kids/students to go to university.

Well now' date=' we have way too many university graduates specializing in nothing remotely employable (except for professional programs: engineering, nursing etc..) Meanwhile we have the college grads and tradesmen with their practical and useful knowledge in demand.

I guess we will see who will have the last laugh while the arts graduate is serving my coffee. This is coming from an guy in engineering. (Yes I loath the artsy-fartsy and science students, half of them shouldn't even be there)

Cheers,

ABS[/quote']

I was not bashing college at all. Most of my high school friends are going to college, and several of my family members are employed in trades (in fact I'm the first person in my family to ever attend university). College is a great thing. However you can't deny that the courses are academically not as difficult as university courses, which is perfectly fine as most of the extra material taught in university isn't that relevant to the real world anyways.

I was not bashing college at all. Most of my high school friends are going to college, and several of my family members are employed in trades (in fact I'm the first person in my family to ever attend university). College is a great thing. However you can't deny that the courses are academically not as difficult as university courses, which is perfectly fine as most of the extra material taught in university isn't that relevant to the real world anyways.

I'll back this up, college is easier (academically) than University, no more discussion needed. (Difficulty ranges between universities wildly for that matter)

Are there utterly useless courses in College?YES

Are there utterly useless programs in University? YES

Are the trades terrible? NO they are probably better to get into right now than virtually any other profession, that being said there are "soft" trades and "hard trades". By this I mean some are harder on your body than others.

Do I have a problem with tradesmen? Absolutely not, my family is filled with them. The only reason I'm able to go to University is the fact that i worked at a mine for 14 months before I started my UG and continued there in the summers. (btw I'm the first one in my family to graduate HS).

I think the appreciation for the trades is something that people in general have been told not to give tradesmen. W're told from a young age not to go into the trades as they're essential "bad" and where "dumb" people go. But in this day and age tradesmen are the ones that are laughing all the way to the bank.

Of coarse, academically, it is not as difficult. That is not the point of college.

It is just a sad state of affairs when my engineering buddy can't even point out wire strippers and had to get the technician to tighten bolts on his experiment, (such a fail btw). He spent his whole life in books that they can't do anything useful. I'm tired of this society of "thinkers", what ever happened to doing something?

Sorry, I'm on a rant, I know.

Of coarse' date=' academically, it is not as difficult. That is not the point of college.

It is just a sad state of affairs when my engineering buddy can't even point out wire strippers and had to get the technician to tighten bolts on his experiment, (such a fail btw). He spent his whole life in books that they can't do anything useful. I'm tired of this society of "thinkers", what ever happened to doing something?

Sorry, I'm on a rant, I know.[/quote']

At the mine I worked at they made engineers, before they started engineering, do all of the main jobs in the mine. (took roughly a year) So they would have a first hand understanding of how the mine operated and what the Underground was like. Many of these engineers were very thankful for this (not only did they make more money than a junior engineer) but they truly understood what they were doing/designing. I feel this is lost in today's workforce, there is a large disconnect.

At the mine I worked at they made engineers, before they started engineering, do all of the main jobs in the mine. (took roughly a year) So they would have a first hand understanding of how the mine operated and what the Underground was like. Many of these engineers were very thankful for this (not only did they make more money than a junior engineer) but they truly understood what they were doing/designing. I feel this is lost in today's workforce, there is a large disconnect.

Couldn't agree more. The worst is the separation of academia and the real world. Half the engineering profs I know sit in LaLa land with their impractical projects that do nothing for nobody but inflate their status and ego.

My wife does the same with the engineers she hires. They need to know all components that go into a project. From surveying, to drafting their own drawings, etc. That's how she was taught by her father and how she hires.

It's amazing how many will whine to her that they shouldn't have to do that stuff. To which she replies... there's the door :D

Couldn't agree more. The worst is the separation of academia and the real world. Half the engineering profs I know sit in LaLa land with their impractical projects that do nothing for nobody but inflate their status and ego.

Isn't that the wonder of University' date=' people who have never lived int he real world trying to decode it and teach it.

My wife does the same with the engineers she hires. They need to know all components that go into a project. From surveying, to drafting their own drawings, etc. That's how she was taught by her father and how she hires.

It's amazing how many will whine to her that they shouldn't have to do that stuff. To which she replies... there's the door :D

It honestly, is invaluable experience!

Being back in school has got me into issues with some profs who teach economics or management courses. They are all theory, zero practicality and happy to point out the practice flaws in their theory as someone who has lived and breathed it in a true business context.

I don't do it for argument sake but to show the other students, mostly kids, that theory is great but the real world doesn't function in a theoretical vacuum and they'll actually be forced to abandon the theory they're currently learning once they get out there and working.

Just wondering what the opinion is of top liberal arts colleges in the US. I'm attend one and I don't think it's any easier than a comparable University. In fact, we send a greater proportion of students to graduate school that Harvard or MIT.

I dunno, threads like this make me seriously question my choice of undergrad and wonder what Canadian adcoms will think of my school choice.

• 1 year later...

Archived