Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

Hi all. Former york pre-med at a US med program now. 

Just gonna dropping by to give the following tips,

-major in psych, bio, or kine

-take physics 1420 with Jerzak if he is still teaching

-Psych with Jubis

-Orgo with Iyer. She sucks at teaching but its extremely easy getting a A with her. 

Seriously though, MAJOR IN KINE. It's a free pass to walk on to med school. 

When kine majors walk into bio classes we be like 

Hillary_stank_eye.jpg

Hi all. Former york pre-med at a US med program now. 

Just gonna dropping by to give the following tips,

-major in psych, bio, or kine

-take physics 1420 with Jerzak if he is still teaching

-Psych with Jubis

-Orgo with Iyer. She sucks at teaching but its extremely easy getting a A with her. 

Seriously though, MAJOR IN KINE. It's a free pass to walk on to med school. 

This. He pretty much summed it up nicely. 

Most important message ^ Major in KINE.  Upper year students will tell you this and the 1st years will look at you as if you are some idiot for switching from biomed to kine, then after 2-3 years later you talk to those same kids and they finally understand how stupid they were not for switching. ;) True story, to sum it up the best advice anyone can give you at York is to switch to Kine if you want to go into Dental/Med/Pharmacy school. Low stress and very social.

• 2 weeks later...

Orgo I/II aren't that bad with Jackson. He's a good prof and his tests are fair.

Biochem- I just finished the course and I think I got a 90. I needed a high 80 on the final, and I think I did very well on the final. The course isn't difficult either, just a lot of memorization.

I haven't taken physics at york so I cannot comment on my experiences. Friends that have taken the course tell me that its very easy.

On a side note, biochem final was thursday, today is orgo I and tomorrow is animals. I now at least 10 people who are enrolled in all 3 courses. Sucks for them. Happy I took orgo over the summer.

Thanks for reply, if I may ask, where did you take physics then? (Or you haven't yet), and who was your prof for biochem? 

Any other responses are also greatly appreciated

I took physics at U of T during my first undergrad (in math). Kubiseski is a good prof for biochem. The final exam did have like 3-4 very tricky questions, but it was 75 multiple choice questions so not that bad. He records all of his lectures and posts the audio.

Lol phys 1420 is an absolute joke. The prof is not only ineffectual but has an accent so thick you wouldn't know she was speaking english if you didn't pay really close attention (not even exaggerating). I'm taking it now and the 3 times I've gone to class there have been like... 50 people in attendance (out of 300). 

It's just like high school physics, except you have to learn everything from the textbook.

Hey guys, I'm a first year bio major at York and I have the final exam for EECS 1520 coming up. I didn't do too well on the first two tests so I'm really worried about this one. Is there anyone here who's taken the course that has some advice for the final?

I had hoffbauer (?the bald guy with a super german name) and the test was straight out of the textbook. You gotta know the labs too don't forget those he'll give you a spread sheet like you'd find in an assignment and ask you how to extract certain info from it. I think it was all multiple choice but I don't remembe

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone taken Chem 2030?

I have to drop an elective because the course breakdown is super lame. I can't seem to fit anything else into my schedule. It is either chem 2030 or advanced biochem. Big sigh

do NOT take advanced biochem

Unless you dig memorizing a ton of structures and reactions and learning absolutely nothing useful from the class because the prof's obsessed with structures and reaction mechanisms

do NOT take advanced biochem

Unless you dig memorizing a ton of structures and reactions and learning absolutely nothing useful from the class because the prof's obsessed with structures and reaction mechanisms

How much harder is it than bio2020?

I'm trying to find a genuine elective to fit into my schedule but it's hard because of 2070

How much harder is it than bio2020?

I'm trying to find a genuine elective to fit into my schedule but it's hard because of 2070

bio 2020 is nothing compared to adv biochem

have you looked into kine courses? They don't enforce prerequisite rules a lot of the time from what I've heard, especially if you're a bio major

bio 2020 is nothing compared to adv biochem

have you looked into kine courses? They don't enforce prerequisite rules a lot of the time from what I've heard, especially if you're a bio major

I picked up Kine 2475: Art of Coaching. I coach/teach BJJ and MMA so it might actually be interesting and I read that it's a bird course.

Thanks!

2nd year Psychology courses are pretty easy. I've personally taken PSYC2240 (Biological Basis of Behavior) and PSYC2130 (Personality) and they were both pretty easy. Take Personality with Phillips if possible. She lectures really well and her tests are easy. Biological Basis is only offered with Charlton in Winter, who I haven't heard good things about. With Wiener, it was easy, but he only taught Fall. You only need PSYC1010 as a Pre-requisite.

I took Personality with Phillips last semester. It was quite easy. Final is only 3 chapters, I literally only studied the night before the final and did well. Tests are mostly from text (about 80% from text 20% lecture).

Also, you can take Evolutionary Psychology (3rd year course though) with Irwin Silverman. He's very monotone and hard to hear (it is literally impossible to hear him if you sit in the back). But he bell curves A LOT. Everyone got a 3% increase on their final Grades. So if you have an 87, practically it's an A+. Tests are easy but very detailed, research findings show up a lot and there is many pages to read. Mostly text based.

Biological Basis is an easy course, regardless of the prof you take. It's like bio dumbed down for psyc kids. pretty detailed but A+ is very achievable.

Social Psychology is also easy but lecture materials do show up quite often (at least with Ward Struthers who I had). The midterms are a piece of cake. Final is killer, lots of lecture stuff and detailed based questions from text. I wouldn't recommend it unless you like lectures lol.

there are many other psyc courses I've taken. These are some of the easiest ones. Psyc 1010 Is obviously the hallmark of the easiest so I didn't get into details.

Edit: I am taking motivation with Pauline Charlton this semester. She's a terrible prof. I won't go into details but a friend of mine learned nothing in her bio basis class, BUT she ended up with a 97 in it. So I guess I'll find out by the end of winter how it all goes down with her for motivation.