Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

posted in the 3903 Main Gate group on FB:

An anonymous tip came in during the strike committee meeting this afternoon that the university is pressuring professors to ask TAs to cross their own picket line to teach Bio 1000!!!

That feel when the union doesn't realize that they've lost.

If the University is pressuring professors to get TA's in to teach then I'd say that its York who has "lost" (as if anyone actually wins here), wouldn't you say?

Kind of proves that little can be done without them and are more valuable than what Admin is letting on?

They're asking people who don't want to be on strike to return to work, and they will use the fact that classes have resumed for a large portion of the school to break down the remainding members on strike.

U of T did the same thing. A lot of their TAs have been working the entire time. It undermines the power of a strike. All they have to do now is offer something to one of the 2 groups on strike and it will be over.

Wonder what the law on such issues. Sounds like bully tactics?

Union members can be punished for scabbing, but unions rarely punish very harshly for this. Probably some shaming. My friend at U of T is working on his PhD in economics, and a lot of his classmates are still doing their TA duties and all they've received is shaming from picketers.

Yeah that is true. There is definitely a divide between social sciences/arts programs and those that aren't. The challenge, however, is that most of the membership appears to be made up of the former

I imagine york's lawyers are writing up new languge for indexation. It will seem stronger, but they will still have a way out in case they need to increase tuition.

Another thing, apparently the supreme court ruling on being legislated back to work doesn't apply to our union. There is some legal mumbo jumbo posted in the maingate page on FB.

Yeah, for some reason this situation is different than in 2008/09 when they were legislated back to work. I haven't yet figured out what the difference is.

I should get the brother in law (he's a lawyer) to explain the legal aspects to me but then I'd have to listen to him pontificate for hours on end which would just end up with visions and thoughts of me wanting to hurl him off a roof

I was going to ask my cousin to explain it to me, but I realized that the legal ins and outs are so damn boring.