Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Waitlisted...

OOP

BSc + 2 years work/travel

GPA: 3.88ish

MCAT: 35R (12B/11V/12P)

Typical ECs

Fun interview!

Applied: Ottawa, Mac, Dalhousie, UofT, Queens, Calgary

Interviewed: Ottawa, Mac, Queens

Wailisted: Ottawa, Mac, Queens...I may set the record for number of hotmail checks by the end of this year!

I’ve been a bit shocked since Thursday, but accepted to the Hamilton campus!

Cumulative GPA: 3.6

VR score: 12

I had no idea how my MMI went – I felt some stations were good, others average and I was convinced that I horribly blundered one or two (it was oddly fun though). Also accepted at Queen’s and wait listed (high probability) at Western.

I was debating about a new city – but Mac was my first choice and so I’ll be sticking around the Hammer. So I should be able to help out a couple of other people at Queen's and Western.

Coach and sv3 – thanks for the super positive posts. I guess you really can't underestimate the power of a 12 in verbal :)

Congratulations everyone!!!

In Province

OMSAS gpa 4.00

Verbal 14

Admitted to McMaster

Tried to post on the actual day, but man was this board overloaded.

Interviews: Dal, McGill, McMAster, Ottawa, Toronto, UWO, Queen's, Sask, Alberta, Calgary, UBC

Waitlist: McGill (for a while...doesn't look like this will convert), UBC, Queen's, UBC

Accepted: Dal, McMaster, Toronto, Western, Alberta, Calgary, Ottawa

Waiting - have not revieved Sask email yet.

Deciding between McMaster and Toronto at this point. Not sure which one though. 3 yrs vs more opportunity I suppose.

Deciding between McMaster and Toronto at this point. Not sure which one though. 3 yrs vs more opportunity I suppose.

If you'd like more information on the MD Program @ McMaster, then check out some of my posts (and posts by current students) in this subforum. :)

Alternatively, feel free to send me a PM! ;)

In Province

OMSAS gpa 4.00

Verbal 14

Admitted to McMaster

Interviews: Dal, McGill, McMAster, Ottawa, Toronto, UWO, Queen's, Sask, Alberta, Calgary, UBC

Waitlist: McGill (for a while...doesn't look like this will convert), UBC, Queen's, UBC

I got acceptance from McGill on Friday... had been on the wait-list until then. So, its possible!:D

In Province

OMSAS gpa 4.00

Verbal 14

Admitted to McMaster

Alright Wkim101, you've got to share your verbal secrets. I presume a natural a gift but any study material that you feel helped you?

Alright Wkim101, you've got to share your verbal secrets. I presume a natural a gift but any study material that you feel helped you?

Quite frankly, a 14 means I hit passages I enjoyed, and was probably lucky on the one of two questions I was not completely sure on. I would probably score between 12-14 on random exams...possibly even an 11. At that level it is luck.

The only secret I have is do lots of passages DAILY for months before the exam. And carefully review EVERY question you get wrong. Organically you'll improve and understand what they are looking for.

Nonetheless, I know my 14 would not be consistent exam after exam. Just glad I got it when I needed it.

This question wasn't directed at me, but I'm going to go ahead and put my two cents in since I scored a 14 as well haha.

If you're a couple years from writing the MCAT: take a philosophy course (I took biomedical ethics) and read recreationally as much as you can. Exposing yourself to different styles of writing is really beneficial - I mention the philosophy course because it's generally the type of writing people are least familiar with and may have a tough time with on VR.

If you're nearing the MCAT: Examkrackers 101 passages in VR really is the best. I practiced every other day for the last few weeks. Like Wkim101 said, really looking at your answers is key - also make sure you look at those that you were unsure about and got right. You need to be more sure about your reasoning, rather than getting a quasi-guess right.

I turned down an offer this afternoon, around 4pm or so - hopefully opened up a spot for someone!

Haha, maybe it went to:

I got accepted off the waitlist at 4:30pm today.

GPA 3.88

Verbal 14

What a ride- I'm so excited! I can't wait to meet everyone- it's so soon!

...possible? :P

I'm a Toronto resident and this is my first year applying.

Cumulative GPA: 3.99

MCAT: 40T

ECs: Volunteered since high school at a food bank, worked three summers at senior centre. Some tutoring of high school students who flunked courses. Nothing extraordinary.

Applied: UoT, McMaster, Western, Ottawa, Queens

Interview: McMaster, Western, Ottawa, Queens

Offered: McMaster, Western

Waitlisted: Ottawa (good, I think)

I just accepted my Western offer. However, it was a tough decision. Ultimately it came down to a personal preference of cities and program length.

Cumulative GPA: 3.78

Verbal: 13

Applied: UoT, McMaster

Interview: McMaster, U of T

Waitlisted: McMaster

Offered: McMaster (from waitlist), U of T

Accepted U of T, so a spot at Mac opened.

Tough decision, especially as I waited around on McMaster in case I got in. I think the two weeks of planning to go to U of T influenced my decision.

Cumulative GPA: 3.94

Verbal: 10

Applied: UofT, Ottawa, McMaster, Queens, Western

Interview: UofT, Ottawa, McMaster, Queens

Waitlist: UofT, Ottawa (bad), McMaster, Queens

I got accepted off the waitlist to the Hamilton campus today at 11:14AM. This was my second time applying. I am extremely happy.

Cumulative GPA: 3.94

Applied: UofT, Ottawa, McMaster, Queens, Western

Interview: UofT, Ottawa, McMaster, Queens

Waitlist: UofT, Ottawa (bad), McMaster, Queens

I got accepted off the waitlist to the Hamilton campus today at 11:14AM. This was my second time applying. I am extremely happy.

Congrats Buddy!!

I just got off the waitlist!

Here's my stats:

Just graduated from Queen's

cGPA: 3.80

Applied: Ottawa, Queen's, UofT, McMaster, Western

Interviewed: Queen's, McMaster

Waitlist: Queen's, McMaster

Accepted at MAC = WAHOOOO!!!