Premed 101 Forums

Official 2012/2013 Applicant Thread

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1. Would nserc or similar awards go under awards or employment? Is it okay to include it under both or does that look like padding?

2. Where would I classify volunteering in a research lab where I actually worked on projects (but was never published)? Volunteering? Ecs? Something else?

I put the RA stuff under volunteer.

If you did a poster and presented it at a conference, do you list them as separate entries or do you group them together? Unless I separate them, I will not have 5 items in Research category.. However, I do not wish to come across as trying to pad my sketch.. Advice?

I would put it as one entry.

5 entries in research is quite high. I wouldn't be worried about not meeting that number. Not everyone has tons of research, and it's not necessarily required

I'm going to bump this please :)

I recommend listing ALL credits regardless its reasons, as long as it appears in his/her transcript. He/she might want to send an email to the individual school explaining why that course was incomplete. It is now up to the discretion of the adcoms to decide whether or not they wish to take that course into consideration.

Just to update my issue with late transcripts. I emailed OMAS and they said they would forward it to the medical schools regardless of when it arrives. I'm assuming that the medical schools won't be too picky about when they get the transcripts, especially because of the time it will take OMAS to process everything and that I ordered them before the deadline. So I'm hoping this means that I'm out of hot water and all will be well.

This is dependent on the school. Check each school's faqs/website for this information.

My question, which must have been asked before...

For the OMSAS sketch, are you guys trying to include some level of description of an activity past naming your position? I'm just thinking about how some schools don't look at the detailed descriptions. Would having some short expansion on my role be a good thing or a bad thing for these schools?

This is dependent on the school. Check each school's faqs/website for this information.

My question, which must have been asked before...

For the OMSAS sketch, are you guys trying to include some level of description of an activity past naming your position? I'm just thinking about how some schools don't look at the detailed descriptions. Would having some short expansion on my role be a good thing or a bad thing for these schools?

You wanna illustrate VERY briefly on how you contributed/helped/shined in each and every sketch entry. Don't make them sound like chores or tasks, make them things which you did a heck of a job on.

Hey everyone,

1. Should I include CPR-C Certification? If so I'm assuming it should be under accomplishments?

2. I was a research assistant in a lab, but received no publications. Should I still keep it under research or move it into employment?

3. In general for awards and accomplishments, what should be put under "Duration" For example, in high school I won the "Academic Achievement in Grade 12 English" award, which meant at the end of the school year I had the highest English mark. Right now under duration I have "one time."

Is this appropriate? If not, what should I put?

Hey everyone,

1. Should I include CPR-C Certification? If so I'm assuming it should be under accomplishments?

2. I was a research assistant in a lab, but received no publications. Should I still keep it under research or move it into employment?

3. In general for awards and accomplishments, what should be put under "Duration" For example, in high school I won the "Academic Achievement in Grade 12 English" award, which meant at the end of the school year I had the highest English mark. Right now under duration I have "one time."

Is this appropriate? If not, what should I put?

1. Some people suggest to put it under formal education. This is where I have put my CPR entry.

2. I would personally put it under research if you don't have much in research. You don't need a publication for it to count as a research entry. You could also put it under employment as well if you have even less there, but the most important thing is to not have duplicate entries.

3. That works.

The following quote is an adcom from the University of Toronto Admission's Blog responding to a similar question: "These would go best under awards. For duration, just say “one time.” Not all of these headings will be relevant to all entries, like “publications” is not relevant to all research activities."

Thanks so much. Do you know how to list full time course is OMSAS? I mean I took 15 to 17 credits in each semester, is that full time?

Full time is whatever your uni considered full-time. OMSAS knows that US students take fewer classes than Canadian students because our classes fill more credit hours. Each class, just list it and put it as 'semester' (unless you were at a trimester school, then it's more complicated and you should look through some things).

Hell, I had two years where I only took seven classes (28 credits total), but at my undergrad that was full-time, and I wasn't given any trouble by OMSAS. No matter what, our GPAs won't be weighted by Toronto, but whatever. :P

Thanks. Do you/ anyone know if we can talk about the same experiences in the UofT ABS cluster sketch and question 2? I feel I am repeating the same experiences :(

I know I sure am. I mean, they say explicitly that they're considering them separately. Also, the thing that was the best thing I've done with myself in the last three years stays the best thing I've done with myself in the last three years whether it's being asked about from a "respond to a community need" perspective or a "community service and social responsibility" perspective, which should sure as hell not surprise them.

Archived