Premed 101 Forums

Official 2012/2013 Applicant Thread

So how are peoples' calgary apps going? I feel like I'm grasping at straws for my last couple top 10 experiences. :(

I know what ya mean. I have some experiences in nursing that I consider separate (employment vs school rotations vs hospital committees) and I learned different things from. But I feel that taking up 3 of my "top 10" might kind of be seen as stretching things a little . . . . oh well.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know what ya mean. I have some experiences in nursing that I consider separate (employment vs school rotations vs hospital committees) and I learned different things from. But I feel that taking up 3 of my "top 10" might kind of be seen as stretching things a little . . . . oh well.

LOL, I did this with singing: separated choir singing (which was competitive) from solo singing (RCM training and enjoyment). It is hard thinking of 10 things.

I have to think of one more experience. I have no idea to be honest. Can we use serious illness as an experience? Because I've seriously run out of ideas.

I'm not applying to Calgary, but I think that 9 really good entries would be sufficient if you don't have a 10th experience. If you really think that the illness, whatever it was, was significant and shaped your life for a career in medicine, you should include it.

Does anyone know which Canadian Medical schools look at your HIGHEST MCAT Score and not your most recent? I wrote a test in the worst state of mind and stupidly didn't void it... hence my question.

thanks in advance

Hey,

University of Manitoba looks at your highest score in one single test. You submit all of your scores, but they confirm the mark that you will use, usually sometime in November.

I've been having trouble finding references for my alberta apps. I was wondering if it would be okay to ask for someone who is also in/recently completed undergrad to write a reference for me. I was a student rep for a couple of years and was wondering if it is okay to ask the student president for a reference?

I don't recommend it, but obviously this is better than nothing. I know that the status of the referee shouldn't be a factor, but a fellow student is inappropriate in my opinion.

That was my original feeling towards it but a friend told me that he got his supervisor at work (his friend from school) to write his letter and asking the president no longer seemed as inappropriate. Luckily, a prof who said he was unsure about having time came through for me contacted me just now and said he'd do it for me, especially since the letter for Calgary isn't very long. So luckily that iffy situation has been avoided for me.

I'm glad that everything worked out for you, and I hope that it works out for your friend too. If his supervisor indicates anywhere in the letter that they're friends, it's pretty much an immediate red flag.

Does anyone know how to select certain scores to release to U of C? I'm trying to do this, but it says that it'll release both of my scores as a default.

You have to release all your scores, there's no option to select certain scores to send.

Does anyone else's MCAT scores still say pending? I released mine on the 12th of October...

Are you talking about U of C? If so then I released mine Sept 1st and they still say pending haha

Archived