Premed 101 Forums

Official 2012/2013 Applicant Thread

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does applying to non-Quebec med schools work?

I am from Quebec and McGill has its own application system. How do I get started on applying elsewhere, including USA? Is it the same system for USA and rest of Canada? Do I make one application case using a common system and just check off all the schools I want to send the application to?

Thanks! Sorry for such general questions.

How does applying to non-Quebec med schools work?

I am from Quebec and McGill has its own application system. How do I get started on applying elsewhere, including USA? Is it the same system for USA and rest of Canada? Do I make one application case using a common system and just check off all the schools I want to send the application to?

Thanks! Sorry for such general questions.

Yes, the system is called "Worldwide Medical School Admission System". lol. jks :D

For US schools you need to check out AMCAS. For Ontario schools check out OMSAS.

Questions 1:

"The Confidential Assessment Forms

should be received by October 1, 2012. Failure to meet

this deadline means that the application will be sent to

the medical schools without these forms and will delay

the progress of their first evaluation. Please consult the

individual school sections of this booklet for full details."

Does this mean that LORs can be sent later than October 1?

(This is for OMSAS btw.)

Question 2:

Is the MCAT score automatically released to OMSAS? I wonder for Ottawa, depending on the score I get.

Oh dear lordy, I just realized that the applications I've been structuring my life around for the past year are due a month earlier than I thought... somehow despite everything else I thought I had until the end of October, not the beginning! I've only started going through the OMSAS app today. I am freaking out so bad. :( Especially about the Toronto app. Anyone have any words of encouragement or advice for me? Please?

Ugh, not sure if I should have put this here to start with, but crossposting:

How do I put in information for my current year of courses? It doesn't seem to want to acknowledge that '2012-2013' is an option. When I put in my dates being from Sept 2012 to April 2013, it only gives me '2012' as a year option, and then won't let me put 'full time' -- it gives me a giant red box saying that choice isn't valid. What do I need to be doing differently??

Ugh, not sure if I should have put this here to start with, but crossposting:

How do I put in information for my current year of courses? It doesn't seem to want to acknowledge that '2012-2013' is an option. When I put in my dates being from Sept 2012 to April 2013, it only gives me '2012' as a year option, and then won't let me put 'full time' -- it gives me a giant red box saying that choice isn't valid. What do I need to be doing differently??

I don't think there is a way to put your current courses in because those are not courses that you have grades that you can declare anyway. The fact that you don't put your current courses in (because you can't) doesn't mean they'll think you're taking a year off or anything.

Another bit of a cross-post, because this seems to be the thread people actually read :P

The new Toronto mini-essays include wanting a 250-word-max answer to the question "How have you used critical thinking to solve a problem?"

I'm a pretty educated person I think, but I have no idea what they mean by 'critical thinking'. Maybe graduating from undergrad back in 2004 I missed the rise of critical thinking as a concept. Can anyone explain to me what they mean by this? What do they want from me??

Hey guys,

Just a few questions:

1) When filling out the mini essays for UofT, the guidebook says 250 words, but the text book accepts 2000 characters which for me at least is more than 250 words. So which one should we go with?

2) For the critical thinking essay : I have a really good example (managed to take leadership and help young Canadians be evacuated by Canadian gov from a country undergoing revolution. Unfortunately, the only people that can attest to this are those young Canadians and maybe the airline bill from foreign affairs Canada). Any suggestions?

3) For the Autobiographical sketch: I'm having trouble thinking of 48 noteworthy items to include. I know that's a maximum but what is the minimum number of items do you think will be acceptable. Also would it be redundant to disaggregate entries. For example I worked as a public health consultant, contracted to do some research and then invited to present findings to a conference. Would that be one item under employment or can I spread it out as 3 under employment, research and achievements.

Would appreciate any feedback, especially form current students

Thanks!

Hey guys,

Just a few questions:

1) When filling out the mini essays for UofT, the guidebook says 250 words, but the text book accepts 2000 characters which for me at least is more than 250 words. So which one should we go with?

2) For the critical thinking essay : I have a really good example (managed to take leadership and help young Canadians be evacuated by Canadian gov from a country undergoing revolution. Unfortunately, the only people that can attest to this are those young Canadians and maybe the airline bill from foreign affairs Canada). Any suggestions?

3) For the Autobiographical sketch: I'm having trouble thinking of 48 noteworthy items to include. I know that's a maximum but what is the minimum number of items do you think will be acceptable. Also would it be redundant to disaggregate entries. For example I worked as a public health consultant, contracted to do some research and then invited to present findings to a conference. Would that be one item under employment or can I spread it out as 3 under employment, research and achievements.

Would appreciate any feedback, especially form current students

Thanks!

1) The limit is 250 words. They only give you 2000 characters so that you will definitely be able to include 250 words in your essay.

2) I would contact them and ask for their advice if I were you. If somebody knows that you did it, even if they weren't actually present, then you can probably use them.

3) You definitely don't need to include 48 entries in the sketch. In fact, it's very unlikely that anybody has 48 (meaningful) entries in their sketch. As for splitting up the entries, the only thing I can really say is to use your own discretion. I'm also applying, so I wouldn't be the best source of information for this question.

If you have an NSERC, did you guys split that into 2 entries for the sketch. one for awards/ accomplishments and one for research?

NSERC does not count toward research unless you actually get an official publication or presentation, or have your name in a collab publication - given the short duration of the NSERC (only over a few months in the summer) that is not feasible.

Or at least that's what people here are saying. I got involved in a similar summer research award project and everyone here suggests that those only go into award section and aren't deemed complete enough to be "research".

Hi all,

Hope this isn't a cross-post.

What should I be asking of my referees in writing my reference letters? What makes me a good medical school candidate and simply that? Are there specific criterion they should cover?

Some of my Professors are looking for detail to flesh out the letter but I don't know exactly what to tell them.

Thanks in advance,

uk3s

Most schools say what qualities they are looking for in their med students. You can have a look on their websites. Generally, like the OMSAS booklet suggests, try to have all those qualities vouched for by the totality of your LORs (no need for each referee to say you're a charitable person).

Most schools say what qualities they are looking for in their med students. You can have a look on their websites. Generally, like the OMSAS booklet suggests, try to have all those qualities vouched for by the totality of your LORs (no need for each referee to say you're a charitable person).

Ok, noted. So basically advise my Referees to include as amyn of the factors sought after by the desired med schools?

Will do. Thanks.

uk3s

Ok, noted. So basically advise my Referees to include as amyn of the factors sought after by the desired med schools?

Will do. Thanks.

uk3s

You don't tell them what to write. :P

You can indicate to them what med schools are looking for, and leave it up to them if they saw that in you. The trick is in YOU choosing the referees which will have seen that in you.

Archived