Premed 101 Forums

Official 2012/2013 Applicant Thread

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would you include non-humanitarian overseas trips on your application?

If it was an academic exchange then yes. If it was vacation then probably no, though you could include it if you'd like. I would not include it personally. There are a lot of non-humanitarian reasons for going overseas you could include. It's hard to say without knowing what you are specifically referring to.

If it was an academic exchange then yes. If it was vacation then probably no, though you could include it if you'd like. I would not include it personally. There are a lot of non-humanitarian reasons for going overseas you could include. It's hard to say without knowing what you are specifically referring to.

Sorry for the ambiguity. If I participated in friendly basketball matches with overseas teams (high school), would this come under Others?

Computer programming could also go under formal education. They are not that particular about these things, and certainly would not disqualify/penalize your application.

Regarding achievements, you can put things you won in sports/science competitions or any honorable mention you received for your dedication and commitment.

If you feel like something you're putting on is subjective, then it probably will seem that way to the reviewers too, so you should try to look into others.

Thanks,

10char

Hi guys,

Can you put awards you earned and things you did lets say in grade 6 and onwards? I won quite a few awards in gr. 9..not sure if I should put them.

2) Would you put the "award of scholarly achievement" given to high school students with a high average..at the end of every semester on the application?

Hi guys,

Can you put awards you earned and things you did lets say in grade 6 and onwards? I won quite a few awards in gr. 9..not sure if I should put them.

2) Would you put the "award of scholarly achievement" given to high school students with a high average..at the end of every semester on the application?

1) Only include awards which you receive after 16 years of age.

2) I would recommend that you include as few HS award as possible, unless you are lacking in your awards & achievement section.

So is it safe to say that for Queen's, MCAT "cutoffs" are about a 30Q? (having a 9 in one section is alright as long as the overall total is above 30?). I looked through the Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted Thread for last year and that's what I got out of it. And a cGPA/2yr GPA of 3.7ish (and does that mean you need 3.7+ for each of the 2 years like Western or just the 2 years combined need to be 3.7+?).

Oh also, they use your best score for MCAT, yes?

Thanks!

So is it safe to say that for Queen's, MCAT "cutoffs" are about a 30Q? (having a 9 in one section is alright as long as the overall total is above 30?). I looked through the Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted Thread for last year and that's what I got out of it. And a cGPA/2yr GPA of 3.7ish (and does that mean you need 3.7+ for each of the 2 years like Western or just the 2 years combined need to be 3.7+?).

Oh also, they use your best score for MCAT, yes?

Thanks!

Honestly I'm not even sure Queen's uses cut-offs anymore, their process seems to be alot more holistic now. If you are close I would apply anyways. For western you need each individual year to be 3.7+.

For the autobiographical sketch awards section, what do you guys typically write for the qualifications and competition involved?

For example I came 3rd overall in a marketing competition, would you just put something like "Coming 3rd overall out of 150+ competitors at DECA provincial marketing competition."

For the autobiographical sketch awards section, what do you guys typically write for the qualifications and competition involved?

For example I came 3rd overall in a marketing competition, would you just put something like "Coming 3rd overall out of 150+ competitors at DECA provincial marketing competition."

Sounds legit. I'd put that.

For the autobiographical research section, I was just wondering if you would include conference presentations if you were listed as a contributor for it? I am an MSc student and was involved with creating over 50% of the presentation but the hired Research Assistant from our group actually delivered the presentation. Thoughts?

Say I have a bunch of certifications in fitness (Personal training, group fitness certifications), do I list them under "Other" or formal education?

Is anyone else having trouble filling 48 items on their list? I feel like i've exhausted everything, and I only have roughly 30 things :(

Archived