Premed 101 Forums

Official 2012/2013 Applicant Thread

Aw, hun :) this is your chance. Hundreds of other applicants are competing for a seat. It can be daunting, and hard to know where to even start. But you're on pm101, which is a great place to bounce ideas off others. Feel free to pm me any time if you'd like my input. Or don't be shy to ask questions here about what to include/not to include. We're here to help :)

:) Thanks Cerena! I'm having trouble writing the impact statements out in third person, is there anything wrong with using "I"?

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've got an interesting question, and I wonder if anyone is in the same position as me that intends to apply this cycle.

I graduate this coming year but I am part of a bridging program, meaning i've done a 2 year college diploma followed by an accelerated summer bridge semester of courses, a full year, and 3 courses during the summer. I was given 5 university credits which were ungraded as part of the bridging from my 2 year college diploma

As I understand it most universities want to have your "best 2 years" or a minimum of 3 years of university before applying. Right now I have a total of 15 full course credits, but grades for only 10 full courses (5 half summer, 5 half fall, 7 half winter, 3 half which I just took this summer).

I know that some medical schools don't even look at your summer grades, that means I have 1 year of university grades, does this mean I can't apply to most of the schools? This would kind of suck :confused: .

Can anyone weigh in on this?

Much appreciated!

Ask med schools of interest directly. It may well be an issue.

Thanks for the response. Haha I think criteria was a poorly chosen word. I think the strongest parts of my application is my GPA and my involvement in research and I guess I meant to ask what non-Ontario schools would someone like me have a decent shot at. But I guess it is probably just easier to apply everywhere (except places I am almost positive I would get eliminated) and hope!

Definitely -- it can be so surprising, too! A school that makes you think "meh, I don't really have that great of a chance here" might be the only school you interview at. And schools you think, "yep, I'll definitely interview here" might not interview you at all! The application process can be so odd. I won't even begin to tell you how surprised I've been both years I applied. And there is definitely a certain amount of luck/randomness involved.

It seems GPA is not holding you back, which is fantastic.

I'm assuming MCAT is pretty decent?

Definitely -- it can be so surprising, too! A school that makes you think "meh, I don't really have that great of a chance here" might be the only school you interview at. And schools you think, "yep, I'll definitely interview here" might not interview you at all! The application process can be so odd. I won't even begin to tell you how surprised I've been both years I applied. And there is definitely a certain amount of luck/randomness involved.

It seems GPA is not holding you back, which is fantastic.

I'm assuming MCAT is pretty decent?

I was very surprised when I got my interview invite at Queen's, I had not really considered it on the list of possibilities for me. And at interview, I found out that it was my top choice school!

Hi everyone! I've only just recently joined this forum, but have been a bit of a lurker in the past.

Out of curiosity, is there anyone here on the forums that is kind of an official/unofficial person who can edit or help with personal statements, like the one U of T requires? It will definitely help me with this year's application :).

• 2 weeks later...

For 2013 applicants,

a small piece of advice

Send you reference letters in with registered mail. That way you get a tracking number and you know if your letter was sent and received.

Yes, OMSAS says do not use express post etc as it puts strain on them to open the envelopes, but registered mail uses NORMAL envelopes! You just have to stick like 12-20 (depending on where you are) of stamps and give it to your referee and ask them to send it at the post office and ask for a tracking number. The stamps will cover the costs for tracking so your referee will not have to pay anything.

Double check with your post office if they do this.

Archived