Premed 101 Forums

Official 2012/2013 Applicant Thread

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had no NSERC. I also had 22 or so things on my application including the education section, dean's honor list and a few other useless things. You are probably better than you give yourself credit for.

Are you a 4th year applicant or 3rd? I have somewhat similar number of items on my sketch(nothing impressive, just 1 NSERC) and I'm a 3rd year. writing up the sketch and and comparing it with the applicants from past years is making me more nervous lol.

I have a LOT of ECs - ranging from sports, volunteer work, work experience, awards etc...and I'm really not sure if maybe I should cut some out?

I'm 28 (tomorrow) and just have always been involved in things, even before I made the decision (last year) to pursue medical school...

I'm just wondering if there is anything that is more relevant than other stuff? Would someone be interested/have the time to check out my list and tell me what I should keep and what I shouldn't?

For example, I belonged to a few business type clubs when i was in business school, though I didn't have an exec position and also not too many hours, but I belonged/participated in events for upwards of 2years for some.

Also, I'm pretty athletic and was on 3 varsity sports teams in High School...but it was so long ago, should I mention those?

Lastly, I have my Chartered Accountant designation...where would that go?

^ You should be good to apply to all Ontario schools minus NOSM. Queen's is holistic now and the P shouldn't be much of an issue. The Sask cutoff this year was 93% unfortunately, so a 92.1 might be a little low. Calgary might be worth applying to as well. I know someone who interviewed OOP at Dal with no east coast connection as well, so you might have some luck there as well. If money is tight, at least apply to the Ontario schools as you seem to have a pretty good shot at 5 of them.
Queen's still had a (unofficial) hard MCAT cutoff this year. ECs were looked at after the gpa/mcat cutoffs were met (except for special circumstances).

I have a 25P (10BS, 7PS, 8VR). There's really no point in applying to any other schools other than UOttawa right?
NOSM. Any potential rural connections?

I have a LOT of ECs - ranging from sports, volunteer work, work experience, awards etc...and I'm really not sure if maybe I should cut some out?

I'm 28 (tomorrow) and just have always been involved in things, even before I made the decision (last year) to pursue medical school...

I'm just wondering if there is anything that is more relevant than other stuff? Would someone be interested/have the time to check out my list and tell me what I should keep and what I shouldn't?

For example, I belonged to a few business type clubs when i was in business school, though I didn't have an exec position and also not too many hours, but I belonged/participated in events for upwards of 2years for some.

Also, I'm pretty athletic and was on 3 varsity sports teams in High School...but it was so long ago, should I mention those?

Lastly, I have my Chartered Accountant designation...where would that go?

28 isn't really that many things for your sketch. If you've done a lot of stuff that is meaningful to you, good for you.

If you didn't continue with the sports after high school, you can group them into 1 entry.

For CA, I don't know the process behind getting the designation, but I would think it's either formal education or an accomplishment.

Right now I'm planning on applying to Dal, Queens, Ottawa, and UBC. McMaster, Western, and UofT are maybes.

Don't think I'm going to apply to any other schools. Mainly because of financial restrictions, but also because I don't feel I have a great shot at them.

I'm from NS so I'm only IP for Dal.

cGPA, wGPA(ottawa), best two years, and last two years all work out to a 3.96.

wGPA for UofT is a 3.98.

MCAT: 35R (14-10-11 for PS-VR-BS)

Fair amount of extras: competitive boxing and junior varsity basketball for a number of years, SMILE program leader with disabled kids, little bit of hospital volunteering doing patient visiting and meal assistance, etc. Some tutoring, TAing, volunteer tutoring. Relay for life committee for a few years. Lots of time in a research lab for an undergrad (summer after first year, second year, third year, and will be working there again after 4th year). Publication in the journal of photochemical and photobiological sciences, my honours might be getting published this year as well. Church member, deacon, part-time pianist (very small amount of piano time in church though, about 6 years of formal lessons though).

Some highschool awards I could put in the OMSAS ABS too, most outstanding grad, MVP, etc.

Still looking for a couple more things to pick up and add to it over the next while.

Any thoughts on my school list? Anything you would add or take off?

Thanks.

Update: I forgot to add that I meet rural status for UofA and think I will be adding that to my list. Also, I meet the requirements to identify for the affirmative action policy at Dal (as well as being IP). (I'm Black/African Nova Scotian descent, my dad moved to Canada at 10, so my brothers and I are the first of our family to be raised in Canada).

Finally, to fd, I've been looking into McGill, and am thinking of adding it to the list. Should I submit my MCAT score to them if I do? They say on their site to only submit it if it better shows your skill in basic sciences. I think my GPA (all A+'s in basic science) is a little better. I did take AP credit for intro biology though.

Updated list:

Applying: Dal, Queens, Ottawa, UofA.

Maybe: Western, UofT, McGill, McMaster, UBC

I think I will be able to afford to apply to 6 schools + Dal (dal is cheap for me to get to), and be able to make it to all of the interviews (should I get them). So I can basically promote 3 schools off of my maybe list, right now I'm thinking they would be UBC, McMaster, and UofT. Mainly because I don't know much about the McGill program at the moment and I don't feel confident that my verbal will hit Westerns cutoff.

Definitely still looking for advice on which schools to take off the maybe list. All opinions are welcome :)

Queen's still had a (unofficial) hard MCAT cutoff this year. ECs were looked at after the gpa/mcat cutoffs were met (except for special circumstances).

NOSM. Any potential rural connections?

28 isn't really that many things for your sketch. If you've done a lot of stuff that is meaningful to you, good for you.

If you didn't continue with the sports after high school, you can group them into 1 entry.

For CA, I don't know the process behind getting the designation, but I would think it's either formal education or an accomplishment.

LOL, I don't have 28 THINGS, I'm 28 YEARS OLD. Haha. I have like 60+ things...but I'll send them via PM. Thanks for the offer.

For anyone applying to UOttawa do you suggest your references come from people associated with your top 5? Obviously profs wouldn't count because they're under education, but for me i'd like to use my current boss who's the head chef where I work. It's not one of my top 5 as I have other more important things on my app, but he's willing to write me a very good letter.

For anyone applying to UOttawa do you suggest your references come from people associated with your top 5? Obviously profs wouldn't count because they're under education, but for me i'd like to use my current boss who's the head chef where I work. It's not one of my top 5 as I have other more important things on my app, but he's willing to write me a very good letter.

I'm not expert at admissions but I'd go with a good reference letter over prestige of the actual referee any day, don't worry if it doesn't come from your top 5 activities. I think that Ottawa uses ref letters as a flag anyways.

Just to let you know that whereas a prof could compare you to say 1,000 other students as a top candidate for med school, the chef cannot make such a comparison. However this referee can be a strong advocate for you in terms of integrity, hard worker, critical thinking, etc.

Gametime: My gut is to submit your MCAT, they will see it all. :) And let me see your draft submissions when the time comes. I also have reviewed many Dal essays.

I'm guessing you're pulling for me to move McGill off of the maybe list :P , it's looking more and more like that will be a reality in the next few days. Thanks for the offer to help with drafts and I will make sure to send you a copy of my Dal essay when I have written that (hoping for mid-aug, have to take care of some thesis stuff atm) if you're willing to look at that as well!

Just to let you know that whereas a prof could compare you to say 1,000 other students as a top candidate for med school, the chef cannot make such a comparison. However this referee can be a strong advocate for you in terms of integrity, hard worker, critical thinking, etc.

Exactly my thoughts too. I have a professor lined up to give me a great letter with regards to academics, and I don't see why not have my boss at work discuss things such as hard work, ability to multi-task and attention to detail.

I applied in my 4th year and did not get in. I had to apply again in the following year and I got in.

Are you a 4th year applicant or 3rd? I have somewhat similar number of items on my sketch(nothing impressive, just 1 NSERC) and I'm a 3rd year. writing up the sketch and and comparing it with the applicants from past years is making me more nervous lol.

Exactly my thoughts too. I have a professor lined up to give me a great letter with regards to academics, and I don't see why not have my boss at work discuss things such as hard work, ability to multi-task and attention to detail.

Hope the below helps:

The 2008 McGill Confidential Referee Report covered the following attributes to be measured from exceptional - superior - strong - average to weak:

a. Compassion, empathy, caring

b. insight, judgment, common sense

c. Honesty, integrity

d. Adaptability, tolerance, flexibility

e. Respect for others

f. Reliability, rersponsibility, dependability

g. Creativity, innovation, intellectual curiosity

h. Notable experiences and interests

1. assurance in ambiguity, dealing with uncertainty

j. Autonomy, leadership, initiative

k. Teamwork, dealing with others

l. Dealing with conflict

m. Community involvement, dedication, professionalism

They had to state their relationship, how long they have known you, what is their primary source of knowldege (personal experience, 3rd party sources or objective/measured sources) AND had to say which phrase best described their level of knowledge from:

very well informed

well informed

informed enough

or

best guess

In terms of assessing your detailed above attributes, they were asked to place a mark to indicate for each characteristic if you were exceptional (top 2-3%), superior (top 10%) etc...In my view if you are not in top 20% for some and most top 10%, you are given the kiss of death.

I recall, they wanted to know how many similar students they have rated or experienced. In other words, if you are judged in the top 2% from a pool of 5-10 students, it is meaningless, whereas if they are judging you based upon 100 or more, then their value is greater, like a prof who has seen thousands of students, as opposed to a horse riding instructor who perhaps has had no more than 25 students of your age group

They want to know how long the referee has known you..and there was a space for comments for each attribute

They warned the referee they are seeking the candid, honest and fair opinion and seek for the referees to confine their assessment to your suitability for medical practice

Do any of you list recreational sports on your sketch if you do not have 48 items? I hit the gym 4 times a week for 2hrs each time.. And if you do, can you list a friend who works out with you as a verifier?

Yep. I put down swimming and badminton.

Yep. I put down swimming and badminton.

Thanks!

Also, do you all list both cell phone numbers and email for your verifiers? I'm close to some of my verifiers, but certainly not close enough to get their personal cellphone numbers.. I do have their emails though, so would that suffice?

Archived