Premed 101 Forums

Official 2012/2013 Applicant Thread

What were those special circumstances? I'm just curious... for grad students?
No, like for Olympians. Queen's reserves the right to have the cutoffs be whatever they want them to be. It's just easier to have them be the same for everyone. But if someone is applying with a Nobel prize, then I doubt they'd be rejected just because they have a 9 in VR.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, like for Olympians. Queen's reserves the right to have the cutoffs be whatever they want them to be. It's just easier to have them be the same for everyone. But if someone is applying with a Nobel prize, then I doubt they'd be rejected just because they have a 9 in VR.

How would they even screen for that beforehand? Isn't it if you don't make hard cut-offs, your file won't even be reviewed?

Are you talking about verifiers for OMSAS? Because I don't even see a spot for e-mail, just telephone number and address. You can just e-mail the verifiers and ask for their contact info, and at the same time check that what they will vouch for whatever you have written down on your sketch.

Yes I was referring to the verifiers. I was under the impression that you could leave their emails in the comments section "please email for verification"?

Yes I was referring to the verifiers. I was under the impression that you could leave their emails in the comments section "please email for verification"?

I never put my verifers' email address down though I don't think it would hurt. I actually used the comments section to put down their position.

Hey guys, when would you recommend we start the application for non ontario schools? I think they all have different date, but would it be ok to start them in september?

Thanks

I don't think it's a problem provided that you make sure of their deadlines. From what I recall, I began my application for Calgary later than my OMSAS application.

For Dal Med School: http://admissions.medicine.dal.ca/

Prospective Applicants

Application Information & General Timeline

A completed application consists of the following:

Step 1 – The online application available beginning July 1st each year at dalonline.dal.ca

Completion of Step 1 is due on or before August 15th at 12:00 midnight Atlantic Time Zone Step 1 must be completed and “submitted” before you can proceed to Step 2

Step 2 – The online completion of the Supplemental information, 1500 word essay. Following the completion of Step 1, within 7 business days you will receive an automated email with sign in credentials (email address and Banner Number) and a link that will allow log in access to Step 2

**please note change in the following deadline

Completion of Step 2 is due on or before September 7th, 2012 at 12:00 midnight Atlantic Time

August 15h – Deadline to submit transcripts. Applicants who have attended Dalhousie for an undergraduate degree do not need to request their official transcripts to be submitted. The Admissions office can access these online.

The latest sitting to write the MCAT exam in order to meet the submission

deadline for the 2012-2013 application cycle is August 4th, 2012

I don't think it's a problem provided that you make sure of their deadlines. From what I recall, I began my application for Calgary later than my OMSAS application.

There's at least one with a deadline that's relatively early compared to the rest (might want to start earlier than September) so just keep track of each individual school and work your application schedule around that.

From what I remember, UBC is due sometime in August, and most of the others were due after OMSAS. OMSAS has the shortest word count, so I ended up adding a few sentences to my descriptions for most other schools.

For Dal Med School: http://admissions.medicine.dal.ca/

Prospective Applicants

Application Information & General Timeline

A completed application consists of the following:

Step 1 – The online application available beginning July 1st each year at dalonline.dal.ca

Completion of Step 1 is due on or before August 15th at 12:00 midnight Atlantic Time Zone Step 1 must be completed and “submitted” before you can proceed to Step 2

Step 2 – The online completion of the Supplemental information, 1500 word essay. Following the completion of Step 1, within 7 business days you will receive an automated email with sign in credentials (email address and Banner Number) and a link that will allow log in access to Step 2

Completion of Step 2 is due on or before September 7th, 2012 at 12:00 midnight Atlantic Time

August 15h – Deadline to submit transcripts. Applicants who have attended Dalhousie for an undergraduate degree do not need to request their official transcripts to be submitted. The Admissions office can access these online.

The latest sitting to write the MCAT exam in order to meet the submission

deadline for the 2012-2013 application cycle is August 4th, 2012

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I wasn't going to start untill end Aug. Ill start earlier.

I just looked at UBC and the application fees are insane!! $160+?? for one school?? I can't imagine what its going to be like for all schools in total.

I just looked at UBC and the application fees are insane!! $160+?? for one school?? I can't imagine what its going to be like for all schools in total.

Lol. Applying to med school definitely caused a dent in my bank account. The numbers add up once you consider the amount you paid for the MCAT+application fees+fees for all med schools+interview outfit+(for some people, flight tickets).

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I wasn't going to start untill end Aug. Ill start earlier.

I know it seems like quite a bit of money now, but it's small change in the long run. Wait until you have to pay med school tuition.

I'm going into my fourth year UG, I'm thinking about getting an internship position somewhere in the community. This would be a pass/fail mark but count for a single course equivalent. So I would have four courses plus this internship, would I still be eligible to apply even though I would only have 4marks for that semester, instead of 5 ?

Also, would I be able to include this experience in my ECs since it is a form of "getting involved" right?

I appreciate the help, thank you :)

I'm going into my fourth year UG, I'm thinking about getting an internship position somewhere in the community. This would be a pass/fail mark but count for a single course equivalent. So I would have four courses plus this internship, would I still be eligible to apply even though I would only have 4marks for that semester, instead of 5 ?

Also, would I be able to include this experience in my ECs since it is a form of "getting involved" right?

I recommend checking with schools, especially UofT and Western that are most picky about 5 courses/term. AFAIK a pass/fail course is not looked well upon by adcoms but I'm not entirely sure.

For a club, I was a general member in the first year, and got more involved by being an exec member in the second. This comes under a single entry right?

I'll play devil's advocate to the few others who have recommended you keep this as one entry. I think it depends on your level of involvement at each level- if you did different, yet still important things, then you may want to split them up.

For example I was deeply involved on many different levels at a particular organization, I split each of those roles up into different entries. If I didn't do that then the true resolution of all the things that I had done would have been lost.

You're unlikely to get penalized for splitting activities up if you have the space and it makes sense to do so (like I said- different responsibilities, etc), at worst you just don't get extra points.

Ultimately its your decision though :)

You'd still be considered to have a full course load. However, you may not be able to have some of the GPA weighting forumlas applied to you, like for UofT.

Archived